Package Downgrade Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I can never get anything to give results when I search on this site!

I have been with Directv less than 1 year. I currently have the Premier package + HD Extra (Which I learned on here is free for 3 months, every 3 months!) and pay about $91. I do not watch most of the movie channels, and would like to downgrade to the Choice Extra and add Sports Pack and HBO (and, of course, free HD Extras). Here's my question:

Will I actually save money? I know there are discounts for multiple premiums, but how much? The D* website is not much help with that. Will I lose my new-customer promotional prices? What can I expect to pay for Choice Extra, Sports Pack, and HBO with DVR and whole-home. Will my HD stay free? I trust this site more than calling them myself.

Thanks

Yes you lose Discounts.

Choice extra 68.99
HD. 10.00 (you will lose free hd)
DVR. 8.00
HBO. 15.99 ( if you add 1more prm it's 27 a month)
Add tv. 6.00
Whole home 3.00
Total 101.98 that's assuming one add tv no taxes. If you are getting rebates wait till after they drop off.

Xdcinc said:
Yes you lose Discounts.

Choice extra 68.99
HD. 10.00 (you will lose free hd)
DVR. 8.00
HBO. 15.99 ( if you add 1more prm it's 27 a month)
Add tv. 6.00
Whole home 3.00
Total 101.98 that's assuming one add tv no taxes. If you are getting rebates wait till after they drop off.

HBO 15.99
Show 12.99
Starz 12.99
Skintamax 12.99

HBO + 1 is 27
HBO +2 is 34
All movies 45

you do not lose the discounts (the $29 or whatever it is per month)....but you might want to call D* to verify

Choice Xtra is enough to keep the HD Free.
depends on the agreement at the time he signed up. So it may not be right.

It was never discussed when I signed up. The retailer just said it was free with autopay. I have only directly spoken once to Directv, that was to "move".

you do not lose the discounts (the $29 or whatever it is per month)....but you might want to call D* to verify

depends on the agreement at the time he signed up. So it may not be right.

I've never seen one that wouldn't keep it on with Xtra. Choice drops it for me as Xtra was the requirement when I signed up.

I called them and downgraded. Despite the CSR talking so fast I didn't understand about 1/3 of what she said, I am 99% sure I am keeping my promotional rates. I ignorantly assumed that NHL Network was part of the Sports Pack. I will probably miss it next season and jump to the Ultimate. Interestingly, the website lists Sundance as not being part of the Choice Xtra but it is still coming through. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need a SPORTS LOVERS PACK. All the sports channels, and channels like TBS, TNT, etc that show sports. Just the very basics (Discovery, CNN, History, etc) in addition. Separate the locals so we can drop them, too, if we get them clearly OTA. Oh well, I am still very happy with Directv. Goodbye Cloo!

I called them and downgraded. Despite the CSR talking so fast I didn't understand about 1/3 of what she said, I am 99% sure I am keeping my promotional rates. I ignorantly assumed that NHL Network was part of the Sports Pack. I will probably miss it next season and jump to the Ultimate. Interestingly, the website lists Sundance as not being part of the Choice Xtra but it is still coming through. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we need a SPORTS LOVERS PACK. All the sports channels, and channels like TBS, TNT, etc that show sports. Just the very basics (Discovery, CNN, History, etc) in addition. Separate the locals so we can drop them, too, if we get them clearly OTA. Oh well, I am still very happy with Directv. Goodbye Cloo!

What package did you go to ?
The NHL Network is available with most of the packages, I have the old TC+ which is now something Classic and I get the NHL Network.

I like your idea of a Sports package + ...
Btw, you CAN drop your locals if you call in to D* and inquire, saves about $3-5.

Choice Extra is what I have now. I lost the NHL Network, Tennis Channel, Sprout, Boomerag, Fliix, Cloo, the Encore channels, and probably something else. The only ones I really care about are NHL and Cloo. If Cloo was HD, it would be worth it, but that's not Directv's fault.

95% of what I watch is sports or on local channels. If it wasn't for sports, I wouldn't pay for TV.

Trying to decide myself whether I want to downgrade or not...Am I correct in that my contract will not be extended due to programming change? I'm on my 2nd year of rebates that only give my $14 off the current Premier rate until November when my 2-year contract is up. Don't really have the time to watch all that is available on the premiums, so I'm thinking of moving to Choice Ultimate that would save me $45/month.

Question: If I make the move prior to November (when the $14 rebate ends) will I lose said rebate since it is essentially tied to the Premier package I initially signed up for? Sounds like a rhetorical question I'm sure, but I'm just checking to see if there's a slight chance I can keep the rebate if I make the downgrade before November.

Thanks!

Trying to decide myself whether I want to downgrade or not...Am I correct in that my contract will not be extended due to programming change? I'm on my 2nd year of rebates that only give my $14 off the current Premier rate until November when my 2-year contract is up. Don't really have the time to watch all that is available on the premiums, so I'm thinking of moving to Choice Ultimate that would save me $45/month.

Question: If I make the move prior to November (when the $14 rebate ends) will I lose said rebate since it is essentially tied to the Premier package I initially signed up for? Sounds like a rhetorical question I'm sure, but I'm just checking to see if there's a slight chance I can keep the rebate if I make the downgrade before November.

Thanks!

I think you would keep your rebate, unless they specifically have it tied to the Premium channels.

Hopefully others will chime in if this is not the case.

lparsons21 said:
Choice Xtra is enough to keep the HD Free.

Not always true. Certain offers required you to be on premier or choice ultimate. I have had many many callers call back due to this. Also certain rebates you need to be on certain plans usually choice extra but again always price without your rebates so after they drop off your not freaked out at price jump.

This is what the rebate states on my bill:

04/02 05/01PREMIER 24 Mo Rebate:Mos 13-24-14.00 Credit

So, it would appear that it is tied to my continued subscription of the Premier package. I may just continue until November and switch once the rebate drops off. Besides, I kinda want to finish up Season 2 of Game of Thrones which is on HBO and not a part of the Choice Ultimate package.

Still, I'm not too sure it's worth the extra $31/mth ($45 difference - $14 rebate) until November....what a conundrum!

Looking at when you activated I do believe you have the rebates that require to stay on primer but yes call cust care we can look at your account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts