Package Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJ Matt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
We signed up for the 4 months free of the Premiere package if buying NFL Sunday Ticket back in August. Well, are 4 months is up in a couple of days and I want to switch down to the Plus HD DVR package. They quoted us a price of $54.97 in August for it when switching down in December, but we called today and it was very confusing. Now they are saying it was $73 or something for the Plus HD DVR package and that it would be cheaper going with the Choice Extra package since HD access is already included in that for free. This is all way to confusing for me because a couple months ago HD access was $9.99 if getting Choice Extra. What is the purpose of the Plus HD DVR package then if HD access is included with Choice Extra? The guy said the DVR service fee still applies for the Plus HD DVR package and I thought it was included, but I guess not.

So, I am asking what should I really do here? They seem to have changed the packages since we signed up and apparently we can't get our quoted price for $54.97 for the Plus HD DVR package.

I have the Premium package currently. I logged in and check package prices and got the following:

Family w/locals = $29.95
Offering over 45 channels, including locals, this package features a variety of general entertainment channels the whole family will enjoy.

Choice w/locals = $52.99
This value-rich package offers over 150 top channels featuring movies, sports and family favorites, as well as your local channels.

Choice Xtra w/locals = $57.99
Our most popular package, CHOICE XTRA™ features over 200 channels, including locals, for the best in movies, sports, music, specialty and family programming.
Get over 200 channels, including locals Get 66 DIRECTV Music Channels

Plus DVR w/locals = $62.99
Everything in the CHOICE XTRA™ package, including over 200 channels with locals, plus DVR service. Also (many months ago) they dropped HD & DVR service from many packages. They are now added fees for that.

Plus HD/DVR w/locals = $72.99
PLUS HD DVR combines CHOICE XTRA's 200+ channels with HD Access and DVR service to deliver an unbeatable full-featured entertainment package. Locals are included.

The price you were quoted was probably the promo price at that time. The Choice Xtra does not include HD as far as I know.

I(t has been my experiences that if you want the basic package WITH HD/DVR but without premium channels, then it is about $30 cheaper than the Premium package. With Premium at $105 now, that seems correct for you. Also, they dropped HD & DVR service from many of the packages. It is now an added fee if you want those as part of the package.

I get all of that. Its just that when we asked how much it would be if we downgraded and switched to the Plus HD DVR package in December that it would be $54.97 (which included the DVR service fee and HD access I believe). Now their packages are different. Choice Extra now includes HD access for free.

Is the DVR service fee and HD access fee waived in the Plus HD DVR package?

Basically, I don't understand their packages anymore. This is what I gathered.
Choice extra and Plus HD DVR consists of the same channels. HD access is now included in both packages (before it was only in Plus HD DVR where HD access was free). So, the only difference between the two packages is that its $5 more for the Plus HD DVR package and there is no other benefits with it. Choice Extra is the same as Plus HD DVR since you have to pay the DVR service fee in both packages I guess.

Matt,
Basically what has happened is, nothing has changed.
I have the old Total Choice + package.
It is like 54, plus 10 for the HD access and 6 for the DVR portion.
These are not exact prices, but close, thats 70 bucks.

If you have the old package, you add them individually, or you can go with the newer package that automatically puts them together, that package is the New Total Choice, I think thats what they call it , maybe it's just Choice.

btw, you can no longer get the older packages, since last March I think it was.

IF you have a HD rec your required to have the HD Access, at least it was that way when I last looked.

Jimbo

I'm not familiar with the packages that were out in March. I am only familiar with the packages that were out in August which is when I first began my service with DirecTV. Its just really confusing with the Choice Extra package and the Plus HD DVD package. Both packages are the same. It has the same channels along with HD access included.

I'm not familiar with the packages that were out in March. I am only familiar with the packages that were out in August which is when I first began my service with DirecTV. Its just really confusing with the Choice Extra package and the Plus HD DVD package. Both packages are the same. It has the same channels along with HD access included.

IF you have HD service, you are required to have a particular package, if you have a DVR your required to have dvr service ... they pretty much simplified everything by making the packages include the HD and or HD and or both, essentially it's the same price with once you add these things into the base package.

Yeah, that makes better sense I guess. The guy on the phone that works for DirecTV said adding Choice Extra would be cheaper than having the Plus HD DVR package. Its just that I thought the Plus HD DVR package already had the DVR service fee included in the price. Regardless, he said it would still be cheaper to add Choice Extra since it already includes HD access included in the pricing. Its just the DVR fee needs to be paid on top of the price of the package. After all that it is still cheaper than the Plus HD DVR package which is sort of odd.

So we went ahead and went with the Plus HD DVR package. It includes HD access and the DVR service fee whereas Choice Extra does not include the DVR service fee. Both packages seem to come out at the same price though. To be on the safe side we went with Plus HD DVR though.

So we went ahead and went with the Plus HD DVR package. It includes HD access and the DVR service fee whereas Choice Extra does not include the DVR service fee. Both packages seem to come out at the same price though. To be on the safe side we went with Plus HD DVR though.

That's what I was trying to tell you, with the old package you start at that price and add the needed stuff (HD and DVR fees) and you come up with the same price, or close to it anyways.

Jimbo

Yeah, I got what you are saying. It was just hard to understand. I have no idea why they even have those packages since they are virtually the same. Maybe they are re-doing their packages for 09. That would be my guess. Anyway, thanks for the help fellas.

Yeah, I got what you are saying. It was just hard to understand. I have no idea why they even have those packages since they are virtually the same. Maybe they are re-doing their packages for 09. That would be my guess. Anyway, thanks for the help fellas.

The package I have , the older ones, are no longer available, thiose with them are grandfathered into them.
If you sign up or change you will go to the new package that adds everything together, before if I wanted to turn off the HD portion during the year I could (there was a time when there was not enough on in HD to have year round)

I actually think you may lose a couple of channels with the new package, but it's nothing significant.

Jimbo

How many channels or what channels will I lose? I am aware I lose the Sports Pack and all the Premium channels, but I should basically have the rest? I don't mind losing those since I rent Blu-ray movies and they tend to look better than what is shown on HBO HD or Showtime HD. Whatever is in Choice Extra I should get for standard and HD with the Plus HD DVR package though right?

How many channels or what channels will I lose? I am aware I lose the Sports Pack and all the Premium channels, but I should basically have the rest? I don't mind losing those since I rent Blu-ray movies and they tend to look better than what is shown on HBO HD or Showtime HD. Whatever is in Choice Extra I should get for standard and HD with the Plus HD DVR package though right?

You know what you get, take a look at the packages on D*'s web page, I don't remember, thought it was a few channels that I don't watch so I didn't worry about it.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.