Page Flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrade Lately?

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Since the site has switched to the new server, whenever I click a topic, or load a page, the page loads, then the screen flickers once. I am using the Firefox 1.5.0.4. This is not a big deal, just an annoyance!
Other than that, the site seems faster, keep up the good work:up :up :up

Upgrade Lately? said:
Since the site has switched to the new server, whenever I click a topic, or load a page, the page loads, then the screen flickers once. I am using the Firefox 1.5.0.4. This is not a big deal, just an annoyance!
Other than that, the site seems faster, keep up the good work:up :up :up

That is odd. I am also using Firefox, but no flicker for me!:D

Assuming you mean the flicker occurs within the FF window, try running your FF in safe mode:

Start menu->All Programs->Mozilla Firefox->Firefox (safe mode)

If after that. it stops, it is an extension, or theme plugin misbehaving.

If your whole screen is flickering (i.e. even your taskbar flickers) _and_ the above does not stop _it_, then you may have some other issues (i.e. spyware or malware).

Only the Firefox window flickers. Even in safe mode. No spyware/adware/viruses here. Sat guys is the only site this occurs with. It started after the server move???

That is strange, the only things I can think of, is maybe you have a helper program (nonmalware) that is misbehaving (like HP resident programs, antispyware apps, norton internet security, and the like), try booting into Windows safe mode (in XP, start menu, shut down, select restart, as it's booting up keep hitting F8 till a menu comes up, then select "Safe Mode with Networking", select Yes when it comes up asking if you want to continue with Safe Mode, _then_ try FF on this site, if it does not flicker, than it is probably a residential startup program giving you pains, now, another remote possibility, is, maybe satguys, or one of its ads has some java (I use a browser with no java, so I have yet to try this new site on my FF) and your JavaVM may be an older one with bugs, if you feel like trying you can get updated here: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Let us know.

When the server move happened, scott upgraded software and made a few ad changes (before the move, no?), maybe your computer is having trouble with the old cache. Hate to sound cliche, but clear the cache, the history, maybe even the old cookies, restart, and come back and see if it still does it.

Beyond that I think you're the only one, though I wouldn't really notice as I very rarely open anything in the same window. By time I move to the next tab, it's already loaded...

I get the flicker, but only when I have FF's adblocker and script blocker engaged and this happens on many sites. I think it is the browser zapping the scripts/ad banners before presenting the page.

This is occuring on two different computers. One at home, and one at work. Both have Firefox installed with the default configuration.

I use Firefox on 3 different machines and have no issues. Also Firefox is the third most popular browser for SatelliteGuys and no one else is reporting any issues.

Wish I had something better to tell you but I dont. :(

It's definetely not teh fierf0cks...

What software (beyond firefox) is installed on both the computers you're testing on? It's not caused by firefox so something else is causing it.

The only software that is common between the machines is McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.0

Work computer is behind a cisco pix 515 firewall, home machine is behind a d-link router/firewall.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I sometimes get this when I am downloading something while reading this site. It is a quick flash after the final ads load into the page.

I just logged of my username and received the message all cookies cleared, then logged back in and went to a different page. Bam! the quick flicker. The ad on the left side of the screen didn't flick but the rest of the screen did. I am assuming that it has something to do with Firefox cacheing the page or accepting a cookie.
I am guessing it is more noticable for me when downloading something because the page takes longer to load and I am watch the page more intently.

Last edited:
Upgrade Lately? said:
The only software that is common between the machines is McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.0
That's interesting; ever since I've installed McAfee EPO 8 on my notebook, I've noticed the icons on my desktop flicker from time to time, but not necessarily when I'm surfing. If McAfee is intercepting something like adware, you'd think it would gererate a pop-up.

I suggest you all get rid of mcafee and norton (if you can), they are horrid, bloated applications, get Avast! or AVG, as they far superior in every way, it's like having a new computer after ditching mcafee and norton.

damaged said:
I suggest you all get rid of mcafee and norton (if you can), they are horrid, bloated applications, get Avast! or AVG, as they far superior in every way, it's like having a new computer after ditching mcafee and norton.
Ahhhh, someone who doesn't work for a huge corporation... I was like you, once, and able to install the software that we wanted. But now, IT hands down mandates from on high, and since the McAfee salesdroids made a better "deal" than the Symantec or other AV vendor salesdroids, viola! McAfee is the new IT Standard for AntiVirus.

I suppose I could quit my cushy job and install the Antivirus software of my choice, but I don't think the Spousal Acceptance Factor on that decision would be very high...

Foxbat said:
Ahhhh, someone who doesn't work for a huge corporation... I was like you, once, and able to install the software that we wanted. But now, IT hands down mandates from on high, and since the McAfee salesdroids made a better "deal" than the Symantec or other AV vendor salesdroids, viola! McAfee is the new IT Standard for AntiVirus.

I suppose I could quit my cushy job and install the Antivirus software of my choice, but I don't think the Spousal Acceptance Factor on that decision would be very high...

Umm, first, how to you derive from my post that I do not work for a huge corp? because, actually I _am_ IT for several corps., that being said, my post cleary stated 'if you can', thus giving a nod to those who do not control what they can use, and establishing that the target of my post was primarily towards home users.

Of course if the system is not yours, than you should not be mucking around to begin with.

Since those at work should be working, not on satelliteguys.us, being an admin, I ban this kind of site from being used at work, for all my clients....;) (joking, but not really)

FWIW: At work sites, I have it setup so all webpages+content get vscanned (squid+dansguardian+clamav), and all email gets scanned (postfix+amavisd-new+clamav+bitdefender+ravav+procmail recipes), I ban any executables via extension bans and mimetypes at the squid proxy (sprinkled with some whitelisted things from microsoft update and the like) and email gateway, thus eliminating any need for local scanners, and we have no cdroms or floppy drives (usb ports off in bios, bios password locked) on the workstations (CD installs are done via shares by me), so far, in my employ at these sites, we have had 0 infections.

Last edited:
damaged, you are correct. I was wrong to assume you didn't work for a large corporation, as I have no data. However, if you are at the level where you can dictate their IT software, more power to you. In fact, judging by your previous post, and others you have made, you know your stuff.

I am near the bottom of the chain (not the bottom) of the IT feed chain. Our department used to have more power, but with acquistions, globalization, and pesky things like SOx, we are no longer "Masters of our Domain".

Does it show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)