Pairing an old remote 21.0 with Joey 3

upsss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
AZ
I am having problems trying to pair an old 21.0 remote with a Joey 3. In order to beable to pair this remote do I have to Unpair my original 54 remote? Basically can you have 2 different remotes paired to the same receiver? Is this the 21.0 remote in the UHF mode compatible with the Joey 3 or it is only IR compatible? If it is only IR compatible only then that may explain why I cannot pair it because I think my Joey is setup for RF only and since my original 54 remote is dead now then I cannot reconfigure the Joey to RF and IR.

I am having problems trying to pair an old 21.0 remote with a Joey 3. In order to beable to pair this remote do I have to Unpair my original 54 remote? Basically can you have 2 different remotes paired to the same receiver? Is this the 21.0 remote in the UHF mode compatible with the Joey 3 or it is only IR compatible? If it is only IR compatible only then that may explain why I cannot pair it because I think my Joey is setup for RF only and since my original 54 remote is dead now then I cannot reconfigure the Joey to RF and IR.

You can have up to 8 compatible remotes paired to a Hopper or Joey but the 21.0 isn't one of them. It should work in IR mode if you could temporarily pair another remote from another Hopper or Joey to turn on the IR function. Also be sure the 21.0 is in IR mode.

OK, still cannot pair either a 20.0 or 21.0 remotes (worked fine several years ago) this time on my Hopper 3 which IS configured to work with also with IR remote. I go to the Sys Info menu, press the Dish button on the 2x.0 remote until all the LEDs turn on and then press the Record button (Online instructions). No indication on the Sys Info menu that the remote was paired and the remote doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Your 21.0 should work your Joey. You do not pair it. Make sure you do the procedure in post #3 to make sure your Joey is in IR mode. If your 21.0 remote is still not working maybe it is not set on address 1. Try the following on your 21.0 remote control:

Remove battery cover and make sure the little switch is in IR mode.
Hold down SAT button on the remote until all mode lights come on or flash then release the Sat button
Press number 1 and release
Press # and release

Good luck

If it too much of a problem you don't have to answer my question. I ordered already a new remote, until I get it I am trying to watch TV!

Your 21.0 should work your Joey. You do not pair it. Make sure you do the procedure in post #3 to make sure your Joey is in IR mode. If your 21.0 remote is still not working maybe it is not set on address 1. Try the following on your 21.0 remote control:

Remove battery cover and make sure the little switch is in IR mode.
Hold down SAT button on the remote until all mode lights come on or flash then release the Sat button
Press number 1 and release
Press # and release

Good luck
What do you mean by "maybe it is not set on address 1"? I followed your sequence suggestion and still it doesn't work.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What do you mean by "maybe it is not set on address 1"? I followed your sequence suggestion and still it doesn't work.

Well, I don't know what the issue is. I use a 21.0 on one of my 4K Joeys and also one on one of my Hopper 3s and they both work great. The 21.0 remote address is used for the VIP DVRs (or at least on the 722 DVR for sure). It can be changed from number 1 to 28 if you were having remote control issues from someone using another remote control for TV2, I think. For the 21.0 to work for a Hopper or Joey the address has to be on number 1. Is the UHF/IR switch set on IR under the battery cover?

The 21.0 remote was originally set to IR with the key @ "1" and it doesn't work on the Hopper 3, flipping the key to "2" and it still doesn't work.

Also, just to make sure, did you do the steps in post #3? Paired another 54.0 or 40.0 remote control to your Hopper and make sure the Hopper has IR turned On in the Remote Control menu.

The Hopper has the IR enabled and I can Pair and Unpair the 2nd 54 remote. No matter what I do it would not Pair with the 21.0

I don’t think it will pair a 21, just like it won’t pair my Harmony 700. The Harmony works just fine though as long as I have IR enabled on either my Hopper 3 or Joey 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)