Panasonic BD30 Firmware 1.8 out

I installed it last night without issue. I see where some claim it may fix TrueHD dropouts??

You expereinced any issue before now?

With Enchanted. I still had a slight drop at the wishing well scene, but not as bad. If you weren't looking for it, you might not notice it.

S~

The BD30 can't handle TrueHD?

Mostly yes and a little no. 1.6 update introduced a minor milisecond hitch in audio on only a few titles. It wasn't present before that update. It is minor compared to the problems we faced with Combo HD DVD's (particularly Universal), and the complete lockup of the player that Happy Feet caused. It is fixable.

S~

WOW, we'll leave it at that since I've been trying to be nice and since I had been trolling lately with the truth but trolling none the less.

Hmmm, well as youll see by the INFORMED reply above that you jumped the gun once again.

On to better things, I've enjoyed the SQ of two BD's so far (MasterHD). Very nice.

But doesnt Panasonic charge premium for their latest players? Just seems strange that anyone would have bought it if it didnt do the HD audio formats especially with all of the BluRay supporters making such a big deal over HD audio. Is it a lack of hardware capability or just firmware?

I dont really understand what you are asking. We all know that the BD30 will only bitstream the hd formats, it wont internally decode them. After FW 1.6(Feb/March) there were certain discs that would have a slight dropout on the TrueHD tracks. From what I understand the drop was quick but noticeable. The 1.6 FW fixed the low LFE on PCM(?) but evidently introduced this small bug. I've kept my FW updated and have not had any issues (video or audio) in 5 mo's. We'll see how it acts when I can test a TrueHD soundtrack, all Ive had so far is Master.

One thing I commend Panasonic on is, when there is an issue, they are good about getting new FW to fix it.

With Enchanted. I still had a slight drop at the wishing well scene, but not as bad. If you weren't looking for it, you might not notice it.

S~

The audio dropouts are just as bad for me after the update. Had multiple dropouts at the scene where she first appears in the manhole. Backed it up and would not repeat at the same spot. It still cuts out multiple times during the movie.

Well for 700 bucks I hope they can get the BD50 to work. How long have they had to get firmware working on the BD30?

Last edited:
The audio dropouts are just as bad for me after the update. Had multiple dropouts at the scene where she first appears in the manhole. Backed it up and would not repeat at the same spot. It still cuts out multiple times during the movie.
If it would not repeat at the same spot then that eliminates the disk making it a systemic issue within the BD30 product line. For $500 you’d expect all these things to be ironed out.

Hmmm, well as youll see by the INFORMED reply above that you jumped the gun once again.
Hmmm, well as youll see by the INFORMED reply above that you jumped the gun once again. Looks like I was dead on describing the BD30’s problems. Your credibility is shot.

Well for 700 bucks I hope they can get the BD50 to work, because it looks like this one obviously doesnt. How long have they had to get firmware working on the BD30?

This is not a preexisting problem. It was introduced with the last firmware update. So to answer your question, not long. Panasonic, like Toshiba, is very good at correcting things that get messed up with firmware updates. Panasonic works with its customers and listens. They have identified the possible problem and it will be fixed.

S~

From what I've been hearing and reading, 1.8 only addressed the optical port.

S~

You do know you are arguing with people that dont care about facts right?

Im glad they(people that dont even own the unit) turned a FW discussion thread into more innaccurate complaining.

I guess without the war zone traffic, the new goal is to ruin every post in here.

This is not a preexisting problem. It was introduced with the last firmware update. So to answer your question, not long. Panasonic, like Toshiba, is very good at correcting things that get messed up with firmware updates. Panasonic works with its customers and listens. They have identified the possible problem and it will be fixed.

S~
When this thing came out it decoded none of the new HD audio formats according to AVS thread The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
And those post were not too long ago in 11/07. Seems like it had HUGE pre existing problems back in November. So they got them all working right and screwed it up with 1.6 and failed to fix TrueHD with 1.8. Not what I would expect from a high priced brand like Panny.

When this thing came out it decoded none of the new HD audio formats according to AVS thread The Official Panasonic DMP-BD30 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
And those post were not too long ago in 11/07. Seems like it had HUGE pre existing problems back in November. So they got them all working right and screwed it up with 1.6 and failed to fix TrueHD with 1.8. Not what I would expect from a high priced brand like Panny.

Huh? It seems you are posting without an awareness of what the actual problem is. It never will decode any of the advanced codecs. That is not what this particular problem is. It is a brief millisecond glitch in the bitstream feed. It's more of a handshake issue between the receiver and the player. Similar to what Toshiba just introduced with Gen 1 FW3.0 except audio and not video. I'm not a BD engineering expert, so this is pure conjecture. It popped up when they were addressing the handshake issue with a couple TVs that have crappy software and suffer flickering when devices are hooked up to it through HDMI.

Having been an adopter of both formats, I can recall several problems that took Toshiba many more firmware updates to fix or even address than one. I'm still waiting for them to fix the 1080p/24 issue they introduced in Gen 3 with FW 2.0.

S~

Huh? It seems you are posting without an awareness of what the actual problem is. It never will decode any of the advanced codecs.

Well I previously asked:

Is it a lack of hardware capability or just firmware?

So the correct answer is the BD30 does not have the hardware to decode the advanced formats, only to bitstream them and the problem is firmware. It would have been nice to get a straight answer earlier. Its dissapointing that it is having trouble with a simple task like bitstreaming. I hope panasonic fixes it.

Similar to what Toshiba just introduced with Gen 1 FW3.0 except audio and not video.
Toshiba introduced no problems with ver 3.0 on my A1. What does this have to do with Toshiba anyway?

Having been an adopter of both formats, I can recall several problems that took Toshiba many more firmware updates to fix or even address than one. I'm still waiting for them to fix the 1080p/24 issue they introduced in Gen 3 with FW 2.0.

S~
Im an adpoter of both formats as well. Ive had the A1 from day one, I believe from the second batch Robert at VE had. The firmware has never introduced any problems for me. It has done nothing but improve performance.

Last edited:
I can confirm this thing came from the factory without the ability to internally decode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. This lack of internal decoding is particularly disappointing because the older DMP-BD10A itself offered internal decoding for all of these formats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)