Panasonic BD30 Firmware 1.8 out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Toshiba introduced no problems with ver 3.0 on my A1. What does this have to do with Toshiba anyway?

Im an adpoter of both formats as well. Ive had the A1 from day one, I believe from the second batch Robert at VE had. The firmware has never introduced any problems for me. It has done nothing but improve performance.

Vurb,

I know you have been an early adopter of HD DVD, as have I. We've both been around here long enough. It has to do with the fact that you are going into a thread acting like it is the only HD player ever to need a firmware update. While 3.0 might not have affected your A1 or my Xa1, it has affected others. Just like Panasonic 1.6 affected some users and others have been unaffected. Manufacturers always strive to improve performance in their players. Toshiba and Panasonic are two of the best. SOny has done a good job with the PS3, while not so great on their SA models. But once in a while an unexpected glitch pops up.

In a dream world, everything works wonderfully. Problems occur because some manufacturers decide to take shortcuts and write their own code. This leaves other companies with the burden of trying to correct others mistakes. Samsung happens to be one of the worst at this. A good example is the Samsung TVs. Although the 69 series displays 24hz correctly, the EDID table is written incorrectly and has to be forced to accept a 1080p/24 signal. Samsung corrected this, but it requires a board replacement. You guessed it, HDMi is not firmware updatable.

I have always been a fan of following Standards to a tee. I think standards like Simplay are needed to ensure that all components work together properly. Mitsubishi is Simplay certified, but will not offer tech support if an attached component is not Simplay certified.

The CE industry is a mess, and it is not BD faults, nor is it HD DVDs fault. Technology is changing too rapidly. Until all CE manufacturers, whether it be TVs, receivers, players, etc. get their act together and start cooperating, don't expect to see too much improvement.

S~

I don't know if this fits in this thread but suprisingly to me, I put a DVD-Audio disc in my Panasonic BD30 and it actually plays the audio AND the video. The documentation says otherwise but can anyone else verify this?

If you have a DMP-BD10AK, then I would agree with the DVD-A assessment. Diogen is right that you are hearing Dolby Digital 5.1 not full, lossless DVD-A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)