Panasonic Corp will cut production of LCD and plasma panels for televisions in 2013

It seems they want to get into the small tablet phone screen dept, maybe get the work for Apple from Samsung. What worries me is the dropping off LCD TV interest, where the money is at for most manufactures, then plasma dropping by 50%.

making panels is no longer profitable. There are other manufacturers that are creating panels above 65". Panasonic wants to focus on smaller panels where there is a large demand, smart phones, tablets, etc. They are not stopping TV production, just panel production.

S~

And with working up the deal for OLED production in 2014 with Sony, it makes sense. Like I said, I dont care about their LCD business, I'm concerned with plasma. I'd rather not see a gap between no plasma, and OLED affordability. Im just not an LCD fan, 90" or otherwise.

I'll def be buying a plasma the last year they are made, when that announcement comes.

Over in the OLED forum at AVS it's been reported that industry sources expect the last plasma TVs to ship in 2015.

Yep. OLED will be the flat panel of the future. Now all we need to wait until they become affordable in large sizes.

And how long since I've seen a plasma on a show floor?

Does Wal-Mart count? If so then perhaps right now or in the past year. I thought OLED was about ready to be released. I guess they still have some refinement to make as far as the reliability is concerned.

Plenty of plasmas out there. Where can you buy a 65" that beats most lcds, other than a plasma, for $1900?

Samsung just delayed their 55" oled till next year.

This issue holding up OLED panels is the lifetime of the blue pixels. About 30% of the other 2 colors. They're working on it, obviously, but it's an issue. I really like my 5 year old 58" Sammy plasma. It'll be time to get a new one, maybe go to 65", in about two years...

I remember reading about the blue pixels as well, that they have the other ones mastered on life expectancy. I've been looking forward to OLED's for a while now, when the price becomes affordable of course.

You also have two different versions. Samsung is using colored OLED's, where LG is using white with filters. Be interesting to see how it works out.

You also have two different versions. Samsung is using colored OLED's, where LG is using white with filters. Be interesting to see how it works out.

White with filters would be a good way to solve the blue problem, provided the fading is gradual and color shift does not happen in the white.

Samsung told The Korea Times on Monday that it will end its LCD panel supply relationship with Apple as of next year. That’s according to a “senior Samsung source” who declined to be identified, citing insufficient margins owing to Apple’s supply pricing strategy. Samsung’s role in Apple’s LCD supply chain has dwindled, with the Korean company reportedly cut out of iPad mini production, but Samsung’s decision to pull the plug may have been a pre-emptive strike by the parts manufacturer owing to a declining relationship between the two.

techcrunch.com

Goes in line with the rumors last week about panasonic getting in bed with Apple for smaller LCD screens.

Samsung says no.

Samsung refuted claims that its display business plans to end its LCD panel supply agreement with Apple, saying the report from a Korean publicationwas incorrect.The Korea Times, citing an unnamed senior Samsung source, said Samsung was taking the step by the end of this year because it "believes its American partner is no longer a cash-generator due to the iPhone maker's stiffer supply-chain management structure."
However, a Samsung spokesman told CNET that the Korea Times post was 100 percent false.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57537773-37/samsung-says-its-still-supplying-lcd-panels-to-apple/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts