Panasonic Details DMP-BD50

Finally, a stand alone player to match the PS3.

Anyways, it says it decodes internally the advanced audio codecs (TrueHD, etc). It also mentions it has digital optical output. So what does it output when its decoding the advanced audio? Is it like the HD-A2 and outputs DTS 1.5Mbps, just 2 channel PCM, or maybe just DD? Anyone know?

Also, it mentions 7.1 audio, but it seems to only have 5.1 analog outputs. Is that correct?

-John

Panasonic Announces Pricing for DMP-BD50

Posted May 6, 2008 09:34 AM by Josh

panasonic.jpg
Panasonic has revealed that their upcoming BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Blu-ray Disc player, the DMP-BD50, will carry a manufacturers suggested retail price of $699.95 USD. The Panasonic DMP-BD50 will be the first standalone BD-Live Blu-ray player to be released on the market, and joins the Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) as yet another option for those looking to experience the complete Blu-ray package.
They did not use much lube :eek:

Blu-ray.com - Panasonic Announces Pricing for DMP-BD50

Looks like the rumored $399 Sammy/PS3 will be the only ones to look at.

Last edited:
"Panasonic has revealed that their upcoming BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Blu-ray Disc player, the DMP-BD50, will carry a manufacturers suggested retail price of $699.95 USD. The Panasonic DMP-BD50 will be the first standalone BD-Live Blu-ray player to be released on the market, and joins the Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) as yet another option for those looking to experience the complete Blu-ray package"

All the times I predicted $500 - $600 trying to give 2.0 the benefit of the doubt and got my head chewed off. Let me reaffirm this will remain a niche product. Over two years into this format and prices are not creeping up they are skyrocketing through the roof. How could it not remain a niche format with $700 players and $35 disks??

WTF

The Panasonic debuted a year and a half ago for 1299. The new model, which does more, is 699.That's a drop in price of 47%.

S~

The Panasonic debuted a year and a half ago for 1299. The new model, which does more, is 699.That's a drop in price of 47%.

S~

Thats pretty good perspective. I guess we tend to forget the trend, just like most everyone has forgotten how dvd pricing was the first 3 years.

Is this waiting for or should I get a BD30 now.? If internet connect is the only major added feature,

It is and will save you money if you are concerned about sound. This unit will decode MTS MASTER which is the best surround sound bar none and at $700.00 it is a steal. The other units will just stream MTS MAster over HDMI.

If you have a reciever older than new in other words the new reciever that decode MTS MASTER are just now rolling onto the market place at a price of
$1000 and more. So with this unit you do not have to upgrade to a new receiver in order to get the full benefit of MTS MASTER. I can not wait untill this DVD comes out.

PS I have the BD 10 and it is great.

If the sound is not your thing(DTS Master and TrueHD), the BD30 is great. Id check into the new Samsung coming, its MSRP is looking like $399, but you'll need to check on the audio.

Panasonic,however, does make a great player.

Samsung 1500 will bitstream. The only 2.0 players that internally decode are the PS3 (decode only), Panasonic BD50, and Sony BDP-S550. The Panasonic and Sony will bitstream or internally decode. The Sony will be $499. I might check it out once it's released.

S~

Also, it mentions 7.1 audio, but it seems to only have 5.1 analog outputs. Is that correct?

Apparently so. I was hoping for 7.1 analog outputs, but it appears that nobody is going to make it. I was just hoping not to route my HDMI through my receiver every time. Some in my family only want to turn on the player and the TV and forget the high quality sound.

Apparently so. I was hoping for 7.1 analog outputs, but it appears that nobody is going to make it. I was just hoping not to route my HDMI through my receiver every time. Some in my family only want to turn on the player and the TV and forget the high quality sound.

The Sony 550 will have 7.1 analog and is scheduled for 499. Might be worth a look.

S~

Sometimes late at night I set the receiver to bypass the amp and have HDMI straight to the TV. My tv came with a great set of speakers. Not as good as the surround sound, but mostly the reason I do it is I watch TV all night some times and the base will shake the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)