Panasonic DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55

I've been keeping an eye out on pricing. Seems the DB35 keeps going up while the Sony is going down. Go figure.

Ouch, I figured theyd have another in a couple of months or so the way the keep popping them out.

Why? They have two fully functual players. The only thing they could really add is a premium/ high priced player. If anything, I could see them dropping the 35 and sticking with one model.

S~

Does SIZE matter?

;)
I know they say a 1mb SD card is minimum and a bigger one is better, especially since they are so cheap.

1) Is the SD card just for download storage of trailers or infomercials at this point?
2) Is there any advantage in say a 8mb vs. a 4mb or 2mb?
3) If BD55 is SDHC compatible, is there any reason to get bigger than 8mb?

I do not game and have no idea what I would use BD-live for. I see from reading about it a bit, that downloaded (stored on SD card) material is only accessable while that particular DVD is in the player. So I'd guess unlike a DVR, you would probably not 'store to SD' past downloaded items very much at all. I don't really know how storing downloads would work in practice. Any thoughts?

Thanks

;)
I know they say a 1mb SD card is minimum and a bigger one is better, especially since they are so cheap.

1) Is the SD card just for download storage of trailers or infomercials at this point?
2) Is there any advantage in say a 8mb vs. a 4mb or 2mb?
3) If BD55 is SDHC compatible, is there any reason to get bigger than 8mb?

I do not game and have no idea what I would use BD-live for. I see from reading about it a bit, that downloaded (stored on SD card) material is only accessable while that particular DVD is in the player. So I'd guess unlike a DVR, you would probably not 'store to SD' past downloaded items very much at all. I don't really know how storing downloads would work in practice. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Good questions, to which I would like to add, for those who have tried this, once you are done watching the BD-Live material, are all traces deleted from the SD card automatically, are you prompted to delete, or do you have to go through the player's menus to manually delete each item?

Thanks.

Porch critters, get packages off porch asap!

The delay may be caused by those crazy winds in Discovery Bay. :D

Well it may have been the crazy winds that swooped a UPS package off my porch a 2 weeks ago, but more likely it was 'porch critters'. When an Ebay package seemed pretty late, I inquired and found it had been delivered (confirmed by stop in to local post office) a week prior! The route supervisor at the USPS said she had heard of packages being pilfered off of porches recently. A guy told her his survelance system showed a woman run up to his porch, then jump into a car and speed off.

My package was insured, but that only applies if lost in the mail or dammaged upon receipt. My loss was only $25, but I was pissed non the less because it was 12v Christmas lights to use on the night of the lighted boat parade. As Cartman says: "BASTARDS!"

I can't imagine my upset if it was my BD55 or other not so cheap item! ! !
"Be careful out there! " (Hill Street Blues sargeant)

Link that helps newbies understand BD-live

I am one of those newbies. So new, my Bu-Ray player is still in transit. :D

Having only read marketing type descriptions like: Marvelous, The Next Big Thing, etc. I started surfing around trying to get a sense of what kinds of things BD-live will do. So far this explanation (involving Dark Knight), gave me a sense of what it will be used for, at least for now.

Dark Knight Blu-ray scratches surface of BD-Live potential

I am new to this forum, so this may be already be obvious for most readers here.
If so, my bad.:eek:

Hello, guys! Very savvy thread, hope not to ruin it myself.
I am a newbie with a problem (quite inherent, right?) which I hope to solve with your help. So...after standing aside for some time and waiting for the things to settle down and problems to get fewer, I decided to go for a blu-ray player. After reading enough reviews, I bought Panny BD 35 together with 4 disks: Dark Knight, Matrix, I Am Legend and Close Encounters...
I hooked it up thru a HDMI cable (better than decent) to my LE40F71 Samsung LCD TV (Full HD - a model around 3 years old). Put one disk into the player and, to my huge dissapointment, no movie, only a sordid message on the screen "Copyright violation". Every disk the same message again and again. I tried a DVD - it played beautifully. But SD is obsolete, so let's go back to blu-ray problems.
I changed HDMI cable - nothing. I connected my LCD via component - the same message. Via analogue - the same. I connected the player via analogue to a CRT (unfortunately still Samsung) and the same message again. I went to a Panasonic shop and tried my disks on a BD 10 and BD 30. No problem, they played the disks from the first try.
Now, what can I do?
I am thinking it's a handshake issue and I should put something between the player and TV - I have a AV Receiver with no HDMI, or a HDMI splitter.

Hope to get some help from you guys, 'cause it's driving me nuts...to have everything at hand and not being able to solve this.
Thanx a lot for your patience and Merry Christmas to all of you!

Welcome to the forum, emilian1907!
I see you are from Romania. Where did you buy the player and the disks? Did you buy them from a well-known retailer or from some on-line seller? Is it possible that the disks are illegal copies?
Also, which region is your player for? A, B or C? Are the disks for the same region? The region is usually indicated on the disk cover and in the player's manual.
If there is nothing suspicious about the seller, the player and the disks, then I would recommend you contact Panasonic Technical Support and discuss it with them. Perhaps you have a bad player. Based on your description, I don't think this has anything to do with HDMI or your TV set. Good luck!

Ilya, thanx a lot!
The disks and the online reseller (from Romania) are beyond any doubt, so the only thing to check is the player.
Today I've hooked it on a Philips LCD TV and I got the same annoying message.
I'm starting to believe that the player is the problem, so I'll have a chat with the guys who sold it, to check it and get a replacement.
I wasn't too worried about the player, 'cos it seemed like a setting or handshake issue so I really haven't considered a replacement till now.
When I spoke with the guys from Panasonic they were very surprised to find that I have a BD 35... so I have the feeling that technical support will not be of too much help.
Unfortunately :), I'm going on a little vacation these days, so I'll deal with it in January.
I will let you know how the story ends, till then enjoy the holidays!

Received the Panasonic 35 as a gift and watched my first movie this morning. Beautiful picture to say the least. I do have a couple of questions however.

Does it matter if I set the player to 24p? My TV will handle that or does it really matter one way or the other.

Second question is, (probably kind of silly, but...) can I hook this up to the internet via a wireless or does it have to be wired directly to the router to take advantage of BD Live and firmware updates?

Thanks

Does it matter if I set the player to 24p? My TV will handle that or does it really matter one way or the other.
Some TV sets cannot accept 1080p24 signal at all. Some TV sets can accept it, but won't benefit. And some TV sets can accept the 1080p24 signal and properly conver it to 1080p96 or 1080p120 without losing any frames (due to pull-down) - if you have one of those you may see smoother motion when viewing in 24p mode.

can I hook this up to the internet via a wireless
Not directly, but there might be some wireless-to-ethernet converters out there that would facilitate that. I haven't tried any myself though.

Not directly, but there might be some wireless-to-ethernet converters out there that would facilitate that. I haven't tried any myself though.
A wireless bridge or ethernet bridge is what you're refering to. I got a Belkin wireless gaming adapter (it also works as a wireless bridge) I'm going to hook up this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
It appears that the 35 is out of stock online and in store at best buy. Some seem to be thinking that the 35 is being discontinued, and Amazon has the 35 for $399 and the 55 for $341. Seems it may be true.

This is all I see

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BD35K-1080p-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B001GAOYCS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230428327&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Panasonic DMP-BD35K 1080p Blu-ray Player: Electronics[/ame]

I see a used one for $249

Amazed by the picture on my 35. Watched 2 movies so far, Wall-e and Dark Knight. There is almost a 3d quality to the picture at 1080p24.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts