Panasonic DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55

Thanks.

While watching Iron Man, the pic seemed a little bright/washed, just wondering if something that "mellows" and ads dark detail like Cinema is better. Im guessing, with a calibrated display, I should use Normal.

I know there's been a lot of debate lately on audio at AVS. I decided to watch the motorcycle chase scene on Indy over and over again using toslink vs HDMI. To me, on the same setup, there is not a comparison.

Did a little looking at Cinema vs Normal, Cinema makes my set too warm, dont really see where it helps in detail as it claims. Will stick with Normal.

I know there's been a lot of debate lately on audio at AVS. I decided to watch the motorcycle chase scene on Indy over and over again using toslink vs HDMI. To me, on the same setup, there is not a comparison.

Did a little looking at Cinema vs Normal, Cinema makes my set too warm, dont really see where it helps in detail as it claims. Will stick with Normal.

I hear ya elwaylite (no pun intended) on lossy vs lossless audio (if done properly), lossless offers so much more audio detail and does it without tripping over itself and clipping. It's not going to matter with TV speakers but on a home theater setup with decent equipment it's a teriffic upgrade in audio experience.

I still can't make up my mind on Cinema mode.

Well, I unsub'd from the AVS 35 thread, just gonna use this one and the one at BR.com. As Ilya stated, too much "noise", you need a full time job of sitting on your *** to keep up with that thread.

I fired up my 35 this afternoon and noticed there's a new firmware update. We're now at 1.6. I'll have to see what it is, but I've already downloaded it anyway.

Downloading and transfering the update via CD-R seems a bit cumbersome. Unless I missed it, I wonder why they don't give instructions at those links to get the download directly through the ethernet connection to the BD player. I went to Setup\Others\Firmware Update on my BD35, had it check for new firmware; it immediately recognized I had an old version, prompted me to download, and badda bing, badda boom! Interestingly I have it set to automatically check for updates, but I have never been prompted to do an update, and I'm going from 1.3 to 1.6. If I hadn't been periodically checking this thread, I wouldn't have been aware my firmware was so behind!

I had a Sammy BD-P1400 before getting my Panasonic and it's like night and day. Whenever Samsung came out with a firmware upgrade, I'd wait a week to see if anyone had any issues with it. Samsung had me convinced that Blu-ray wasn't ready for prime time. I get the Panasonic and the thing is bullet proof. Go figure.

I had a Sammy BD-P1400 before getting my Panasonic and it's like night and day. Whenever Samsung came out with a firmware upgrade, I'd wait a week to see if anyone had any issues with it. Samsung had me convinced that Blu-ray wasn't ready for prime time. I get the Panasonic and the thing is bullet proof. Go figure.

Actually Stew, it's Samsung that was not ready for prime time when it came to blu-ray. I got burned twice (2nd time was first degree from my 1500 ;) ) by samsung blu-ray products. :) or should it be :(

In order to use BD-live we need to add memory via the SD card, correct? Is there a size minimum for the card?
That's right. If I remember correctly, Profile 2 specification requires 1 GB. But with flash memory being so cheap these days, I would put at least 2 GB or more.

Do these units playback video and still pictures, or just still pictures? I have a Panny HD camcorder that records in AVCHD onto an SD card. When I first read the instructions on the 55 I understood it only played back still pictures. But now, looking at the SD card portion on page 7, it seems to infer that it will play back motion.

Do these units playback video and still pictures, or just still pictures? I have a Panny HD camcorder that records in AVCHD onto an SD card. When I first read the instructions on the 55 I understood it only played back still pictures. But now, looking at the SD card portion on page 7, it seems to infer that it will play back motion.
It is supposed to play both but I have only tried pictures; have not tried AVCHD. Let me know when you try it. Would be interested to know how good the playback is.

I just took advantage of that and also the 2 disney blurays mentioned a couple pages back! all for 225 I think, and that includes next day shipping from amazon! yeehaaww!
Congrats! Welcome to the club! :D

I don't think it can play WMV or anything like that, though. AVCHD only. But it is supposed to be in HD! :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)