Panasonic DMP-BD35 and DMP-BD55

Actually Stew, it's Samsung that was not ready for prime time when it came to blu-ray. I got burned twice (2nd time was first degree from my 1500 ;) ) by samsung blu-ray products. :) or should it be :(
Ouch! Recovery can be sweet, can't it? The Pannys are such better players!

I don't think it can play WMV or anything like that, though. AVCHD only. But it is supposed to be in HD! :up
I couldn't get it to work last night. Only only tries for about 5 minutes. I put in the SD card and it appeared to be in the picture viewer mode. I'll have to check and see what the camcorder manual says. My player is a combo SD card mini DVD HD camcorder. I know the mini DVD are recorded in AVCHD (they play in my BD player). I don't think the SD card has to be finalized. :confused:

OK Here's my 1st question since joining 5 minutes ago I just ordered from Amazon the Panasonic BD35 and I have the following equipment. Panasonic TH-50PX6U, Yamaha HTR-5650/HTR-5640 6 Channel but I never use the center rear. Should I keep the BD35 or call Amazon and change it to the BD55. I will not very likely ever get a 7 channel and am very happy with the audio I have now using 5.1. I never play DVD's w/o using the Yamaha? I have been told by Best Buy etc that the BD35 would be just fine for me? Also why do you need a DVD to setup the picture etc? Any help or opinions would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum, rgh43!

Dolby Digital and DTS will sound great, but you can achieve even better sound quality with your existing receiver if you get BD55 and connect it via 5.1 analog cables. This will allow you to take advantage of the advanced audio decoding. Whether it's worth the extra $100-150 or so, depends on your preferences and your budget. And don't worry about 7 channels vs. 5 - that's not a big deal.

OK Here's my 1st question since joining 5 minutes ago I just ordered from Amazon the Panasonic BD35 and I have the following equipment. Panasonic TH-50PX6U, Yamaha HTR-5650/HTR-5640 6 Channel but I never use the center rear. Should I keep the BD35 or call Amazon and change it to the BD55. I will not very likely ever get a 7 channel and am very happy with the audio I have now using 5.1. I never play DVD's w/o using the Yamaha? I have been told by Best Buy etc that the BD35 would be just fine for me? Also why do you need a DVD to setup the picture etc? Any help or opinions would be appreciated
If your reciver has 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs (multi channel) I would get the 55. That way you can enjoy the new HD audio codecs with your current reciever.

I would get the 55 so you can recieve the HD codecs by hooking it up to your recievers 6 ch input...the 35 does not have the analog output that the 55 does. edit:by the way welcome! and I see 3 of us answered this at the same time :)

Keep in mind that DD and MTS are far less compressed on BD. There are some that argue the differences are not that noticeable, especially if you have mid-level speakers.

I dont have any HDMI inputs on that reciever, only Optical or standard RCA, the one coxial is hooked to my CD player. Make any difference in the 35 or 55 choice? Also how about the DVD you cna buy to help with setup, I don't have one now and would it be helpful to improve my picture? I have adjusted the Plasma setup my self when purchased and the picture looks pretty nice in HD now, would you get any big improvement using a setup DVD like Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] (2008) from Amazon.

I dont have any HDMI inputs on that reciever, only Optical or standard RCA, the one coxial is hooked to my CD player. Make any difference in the 35 or 55 choice? Also how about the DVD you cna buy to help with setup, I don't have one now and would it be helpful to improve my picture? I have adjusted the Plasma setup my self when purchased and the picture looks pretty nice in HD now, would you get any big improvement using a setup DVD like Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] (2008) from Amazon.
If you have 5.1 analog inputs on the reciever get the 55. If not stick with the 35. Your going to be happy either way, just more happy with the 55. :D

I took delivery of my BD35K last Saturday and spent about 12 hours re-doing our Ent Center, decided while it was apart to put in some cooling fans and also found 2 speakers not working, loose connection, all is back and running now and Iron Man was the 1st Blu-Ray for us and it was Oh !!! Yeh !!!

Also mine came with firmware 1.4, hooked it up, went to 1.5, last night it went to 1.6

yep, I actually am thinking of getting rid of my ps3 and picking another one of these up, since I got my xbox back, its just been used for playing games and so far, This thing is a little ahead of the ps3 for me as far as usability!

I dont have any HDMI inputs on that reciever, only Optical or standard RCA, the one coxial is hooked to my CD player. Make any difference in the 35 or 55 choice?
BD35 has optical output. BD55 has optical, digital coax and multi-channel analog outputs. Of the three, the multi-channel analog output offers the highest audio quality. Your receiver (Yamaha HTR-5650/HTR-5640) does have multi-channel analog input. That's why BD55 would be your best choice. This will allow you to enjoy sound encoded using the new HD audio formats: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. The player will decode all these formats and will send them to your receiver via multi-channel analog cables.

If you go with BD35, those choices will not be available to you unless you upgrade your receiver. You will be limited to the old good Dolby Digital and DTS, which are good formats too, but your receiver is capable of more than that.

Also how about the DVD you cna buy to help with setup... Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] (2008) from Amazon.
Yes, that's a very good video calibration disk! May not be very easy to use though.

Yes, that's a very good video calibration disk! May not be very easy to use though.

It's not that it's not easy. Most users don't have the access to, or knowledge, to do the extremely advanced settings. You can do the brightness, contrast, color, and tint from any THX disc, such as Disney, Lucas, etc.

S~

Ok this is weird. The video in the SD card wouldn't work last night. I only played with it for about 5 minutes. Tonight I tried still pictures from our digital camera and it worked fine. I plugged in the SD with video and presto, it worked. I unplugged it and tried again and it still worked. Pretty slick.

How is the picture/audio quality? Is it any different from playing the same video off the camcorder directly (if it has HDMI)?
This SDHC slot was a major reason in my decision to purchase this player.

How is the picture/audio quality? Is it any different from playing the same video off the camcorder directly (if it has HDMI)?
This SDHC slot was a major reason in my decision to purchase this player.
I haven't used the HDMI on the camcorder. My TV only has two and are being used. I usually use the component or burn a disc. The quality is great, as good as a disc. It has 3 levels of recording quality. 13mb bit rate, 9mb or 5mb. The sound is better with the SD card vs. component. It's dolby digital instead of 2 channel. It's really nice being able to just pop in the SD card to view what you just recorded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts