Pandering & Censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Please, before jumping to conclusions, please fully read and truly consider the following...

It appears some at ' SatelliteGuys.us ' seem to hold little regard to the ramifications of pandering & censorship. Why?

Example, the almost immediate deletion of a post, to simply remind members of tonight's ' Charlie Chat,' which was removed almost as quickly as it was posted. Its content held no political agenda nor bias. It was simply meant to encourage activism. If that is somehow seen as objectionable, offensive or redundant, one should not perceive oneself as judge and jury; it should be left to the general forum members to decide.

I believe you're misguided if you fail to understand, many members and guests elect to by-pass the Homepage, bookmarking a specific section(s), to have instant access to the only resource(s) and forums they're interested in, despite your hard work and efforts.

Furthermore, one would hope and think, this e-publication maintains itself as an unbiased and objective source of information; yet it becomes difficult to accept, given its seemingly symbiotic relationship it maintains with Dish.

No news publication, of which I see ' SatelliteGuys.us ' aspires to be, can be taken seriously, when it does not abide by basic journalistic protocols, which should be maintained at all times — so it may truly reflect and maintain balanced and unbiased reporting and posturing.

My only wish is for ' SatelliteGuys.us ' is to be a reliable source of information which leans neither way, and that one could always refer to as unbiased; objectively, is difficult to perceive, in its present form. Perhaps, if one could step back and look at what is presented, solicit objective peers and friends, to their interpretation, it would be more evident.

But as always, thank you for your continued efforts and service to the community (this is said sincerely and unmockingly).

Last edited:
I see this board as having a larger Dish audience in general, I see plenty of comments from members and staff chiding Dish and their moves and decisions, I dont see anything showing that Dish gets preferential treatment in anyway, other than we seem to get more behind the scenes information and first looks, but its not due to the fact that this site panders to Dish.

Also, good luck finding unbiased reporting anywhere in this world in this day and age, see CNN & Fox News, and other news sources, everywhere has there own slant and agenda, or you can read into it whatever you want to see.

I only refer to the comments, posts, and reporting made by Scoot; his close personal interrelationship with the executive staff at Dish, I believe, obstructs his true view, in regards to journalism. In some manner, Scott provides factual insight, yet, clearly at times, provides us with minimal insight, and on other occasions, his assertions are presented as factual when only assumptions, which in the end, sometimes ends up as disinformation.

I only refer to the comments, posts, and reporting made by Scoot; his close personal relationship with the executive staff at Dish, I believe, obstructs his true view in regards to journalism. In some manner, Scott provides factual insight, yet, clearly at times, provides us with minimal insight, and on other occasions, his assertions are presented as factual when only assumptions, which in the end, sometimes end up as disinformation.

I guess you never visited the competition DBSTALK.com..Scott is pretty resonable..he is NOT a puppet ( But he may get used and abused occasionally) and has never been offered a job ( unlike moderators at other sites) by a satellite company

Then why move this post and strings out of the mainstream Dish forum, since its subject matter pertains directly to ' SatelliteGuys.us, ' and its relationship with Dish? Again, the question of pandering and censorship is raised once again by simply moving the post to a most infrequently visited section.

Which thread was it in? I will take a look and see whats going on here.

so lemme see if I understand this

a post you did for the Charlie Chat which is in a couple other threads and on the main page you get all huffy because someone...ahh hell...I deleted it with reason (again, its on the freaking front page) and say thats censorship? Obviously you havent been to other sites where if there is a glimpse of a thread with maybe the same name they delete.

I believe you're misguided if you fail to understand, many members and guests elect to by-pass the Homepage, bookmarking a specific section(s), to have instant access to the only resource(s) and forums they're interested in, despite your hard work and efforts.
I'm not misguided. Honestly if someone has a bookmark for the Dish section directly, they have enough smarts to know that the 2nd Monday of the month is a Charlie Chat or Tech Chat...the newbies who probably don't know would go through the main site and see it on the front page.

As I understand the thread on the Charlie Chat was closed 9or possibly deleted) because ther was already athread on the subject. That is a fairly common practice here. I can see your point of view but when we have several threads on teh same subject---even in fifferent areas it tends to fragment the discussion.

Also I am not sure that I would really call this a news publication. it is a community of interest built around discussion of satellite related issues. that is a different type of site than a news site. While some of the staff has contacts with people in DISH (or elsewhere) they have always tolerated and even encouraged the presentation of alternative points of view. Heck they even let me post that i don't believe their story on the fate of the superstations.

but frankly to close a thread because it is a duplicate is neither pandering nor censorship. Discussion on the topic can and will go on and probably in a more focused manner. In this case we already had not only the front page thread but also another thread in the Dish forum. A simple bump of that thread would ahve sufficed.

Last edited:
Number 1, this post did not belong in a Dish Network forum, its an operations topic not a Dish Network topic.

Number 2, I agree with the OP that the post should not have been removed, but rather just closed. I do however agree with Iceberg that we need to do better on the fragmention so that we dont have 20 different threads about the same thing.

Number 3, If you hae read here for awhile, you will see that we dont pander to anyone, when Dish screws up I let them have it. And when they do good I speak up as well.

Man I can't believe the controversy I cause when I havent even really been here for over the past week. ;)

I dont find to much problems with closing threads, cept when I venture into say the dish network forum.. Seems the mods in that particular area, love to shut down anything that is not "dish is the bomb"

so lemme see if I understand this

a post you did for the Charlie Chat which is in a couple other threads and on the main page you get all huffy because someone...ahh hell...I deleted it with reason (again, its on the freaking front page) and say thats censorship? Obviously you havent been to other sites where if there is a glimpse of a thread with maybe the same name they delete.

I'm not misguided. Honestly if someone has a bookmark for the Dish section directly, they have enough smarts to know that the 2nd Monday of the month is a Charlie Chat or Tech Chat...the newbies who probably don't know would go through the main site and see it on the front page.

Iceberg, I have always been one who deeply appreciates your wealth of knowledge and information, from FTA, to the most miniscule aspect of technology, and the sharing there of. But, you do have a short fuse! Understand, not all of us are ' old-school '; those of us who've been around here and there — around the block a few times, so to say, forget what it was once like, even for us at a given time. One needs to understand all members and guests may not be as agile nor informed as most, here. Respecting and providing them with all the means to become well informed, is the ultimate intent, allowing them learn and act upon themselves. The Homepage (front page) isn't always read as such, as much information is simply unrelated to the viewer's interests', deeply cluttered with ads, and containg too much stimulus / distractions. It can be overwhelming, to many.

Please, re-read the original post and attempt to understand - it was never meant as an attack — my intent, one would only asertain, as an observation.

I truly apreciate your cander in your truth.

Number 1, this post did not belong in a Dish Network forum, its an operations topic not a Dish Network topic.

Number 2, I agree with the OP that the post should not have been removed, but rather just closed. I do however agree with Iceberg that we need to do better on the fragmention so that we dont have 20 different threads about the same thing.

Number 3, If you hae read here for awhile, you will see that we dont pander to anyone, when Dish screws up I let them have it. And when they do good I speak up as well.

Man I can't believe the controversy I cause when I havent even really been here for over the past week. ;)

You're being defensive. It's not an attack. Please, take the time to consider the points. There's no question of your dedication and effort. Just try to remain objective, please.

I don't think I am not being defensive at all.

SatelliteGuys is a discussion forum, a Discussion forum is where people share their own thoughts on topics being discussed. Because a majority of everything here are opinions there are normally no right or wrongs. If everyone had the same same opinions this would be a very boring place. :)

If I think Dish deserves 50 lashes with a wet noodle due to the way they yanked VOOM with no warning then I am going to say it. If I think that Dish is wasting space by carrying the World Fishing Network in HD then I am going to say it. And if I say that the Dish 622/722 has the best DVR software then I am also going to say it, as it is all my opinion (and you don't need to agree with it) :)

Since he hasn't been here, I say it is all Scott's fault. :D

And I am blaming him for all the stinking rain too. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.