Pansat pansat 3500sd need help

dlrogers01

Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
mississippi
I have a pansat 3500 sd that I've used years ago and almost sold at yard sale. When it was in use it use had a guy to do everthing for me..never had used for over the air. What I want to do is use it for over air. Really want to see what fta is all about..I don't have any outside dish equipmemt, need help with all info and needed equip, extra hardware ect. ect.I have a dishnet dish in ground from previous home owners, have all equip when bought sat new, box, switch, remote. I just don't have the cable to connect to computer.by the way I'm totally lost gonna need laymon terms for equip that I need to get.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :) We are all about FTA here and can get you going. I'm not much for old STBs but you can get a file to put on that receiver for FTA use here.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=file&id=63
The dish may not be useable as is. DBS uses circular LNBs and FTA uses linear LNBs. If it happens to be an old SuperDish, there is a linear LNB on it that could be pointed at one satellite IE 97W and with the old Pansat give you a taste of FTA.
But you need a cable and software to communicate with the receiver first. I think they use a "null modem" cable. Somebody should be able to confirm and explain more than me.

SD card is used for updating the 3500SD. (cable required for the 3500) But you may want to backup that hackerware firmware first. Some were more capable than the pansat releases. IIRR some hackerware will scan FTA well, others not so good.
So before loading new FW. I'd just do a factory default(reset) add satellite and program in a few 97W transponders, to aim it and scan. See how it does. If not so good, and after trying peaking dish again, and another scan. And still a 'no go' -
Backup FW to SD card, make a copy somewhere else.
Load new Firmware onto SD card, insert in receiver, update. I'd have to hook mine up to remember the 'step by step',(LOL) If computer doesn't have an SD slot, USB card readers are available for around $10.
A commercial 30 inch ChannelMaster (Ex DTN?) will work well on 97W. But encourage obtaining a 36 inch FTA dish and a linear 'Standard' LNBF (11.7 - 12.2Ghz - L.O. of 10750) Good recommendations already made.
Last time I had my 3500SD on 97W with the Ch.M. dish, found it got all except 2 or 3 channels. Those use newer stream types than what the 3500 is capable of.
You can get some, and only some, channels on 97W with the right LNBF on the 18 inch dish. FTA signals are much weaker than the DSS birds. It's not worth the effort. Speaking from experience.
Also remember there's a limit to what size SD card the 3500 will recognize. I know it's much less than 1G. I use a 64M card. (And they are RARE today) But what that limit is, don't have a clue. G.L. & welcome to the forum.
What you can get: TheList(top of page) and MPEG CENTRAL

it is a null cable that i need I do remember that. I also think I may have some old sat dishes put away ,. How would I know by look at them if they could be used in this set up, or is just better to buy new dish wth lmbs already installed, as far as download codes ,,found page on site mentioned. Do i just downld to card & install or directly to unit , also only seen 1 downld on that page is that the righi 1 to reset to factory??

Resetting to Factory, no FW needed, no download. It's done with the 3500's remote, in the MENU.
How would I know by look at them if they could be used in this set up
The dish width will be greater than 18-20 inches. Measure H and W, post here. Pictures are welcome also.
Also, retrofitting a linear LNBF onto a DSS dish is what I'd call 'advanced'. Got to 'get it right on' for good performance. Off a little too much and you could end up getting nothing.

If loading new firmware is determined to be necessary. If it's a 3500SD, no cable necessary. If 3500, Cable necessary. Download file and unzip to card. (see post#5) If your's is the 3500 requiring a null modem cable, loader software is also required(to be run on your connected computer).

. How would I know by look at them if they could be used in this set up, or is just better to buy new dish ...
Purchasing a 36" dish is a good solution.

However, tell us what dishes you have.
Any that measure at least 30"?
You would still need to attach a proper LNBF.
DirecTV and Dish Network dishes use custom LNBF clusters, and will need some work to accept a Standard LNBF.

Also, there was one oval dish from DishNetwork, that already has a useful LNBF.
It is clearly marked: SuperDish.
Let us know if you have one of those.

Possible brick in the making

DON"T try load firmware.
When turning it on, does 70, or 80 appear in its display?
EDIT -
NOTE: Nothing more than just the power turned on, no coax/lnbf/dish needs to be connected.

Last edited:
...and what does 70 or 80 on the LEDs signify?

My 3500SD has a 128mb SD card in it.
I got mine a long time ago from a fellow FTAer, and haven't used it. ;)

I think the 3500 is a good DBV-S receiver. (I don't think I will ever part with mine, unless there's absolutely no DVB-S left) Good accurate blind scan, and not a slouch either. You're right, it doesn't do MPEG4 or AVC. but it's proven to be a dependable 'go to' receiver for what it does do.
On 97W, it will only miss like 2 or 3 channels, at this time.
When the OP desires more, then it's time to upgrade receivers. Especially if C band comes into the equation.
Loading a 'b-80' bin into a a receiver that boots showing 'b-70' in the display will most likely brick the receiver. From what I remember, there's no 'turning back'.
All necessary files are available @ pansatusa.com to upgrade from b-70 to b-80 .
note; Do not load a b-80 factory bin, unless it shows 80 in the display
Stick with an earlier FW Version if it shows 70 when you turn it on.

The b-80 was only 'absolutely' necessary for later 'eyepatch' applications. (TOS)
BUT IN THE END - there is most likely no need to replace the firmware. Hackerware or not. Just a FACTORY DEFAULT/RESET*. Add satellite 97W into the list. add some transponder freq, pol, and SR to find and tune the dish. Scan in the rest of the transponders. Budda bing, budda boom. *Can't, off hand, remember what term is used other than it's one or the other.

20130610_152903.jpgWill this dish do me any justice. 39"

Will this dish do me any justice. 39"
It will take a little mechanical work, but yes.
That should be a fine 1 meter dish for FTA .

We have members who've shown pictures of the conversion.
Depends if you want to try to keep the original feedhorn or not.
It's a bigger challenge, but might perform a bit better (if you would notice).
or install a regular Standard Ku LNBF.
Just make sure the business end is exactly where the existing feedhorn is now! ;)

Last edited:
Any satellite 'name' is fine. The receiver is stupid. It don't know where, or even care.
You can change names, add a satellite(and name it anything), delete satellites, transponders, etc.
For whatever satellite you wish to aim at, You must program in an active transponder.
To use the existing equipment on the front of the dish, you'll be limited to one polarity, either H or V.
So for G19 @ 97W go to TheList(top of page) and enter a couple of V, and a couple of H transponders. (See Below)
The programming is the frequency, polarity, and Serial Rate (SR) All other transponders can be removed.
The receiver must be programmed for the LNB also. Use Standard as type. 10750 for frequency.

With the receiver unplugged, connect the receiver IF input to the LNB. That's the smaller 'box' behind the feed horn. Should be one 'F' connector. Use RG6 coax.
You'll want to see the Signal meter increase to around 40 or so with an lnb connected. 0 with nothing attached.
DO NOT CONNECT - DISCONNECT ANY COAX CONNECTION WITH POWER APPLIED. (POOF!)

Get you 'bearings' at www.dishpointer.com Enter your location** and the satellite, press GO. Paints a line to the satellite. In the tune up screen(satellite Alignment??) select one of the transponders added. (active) Set dish elevation scale to elevation, Aim in general direction and make small adjustments E then W going either side of the line. Wait a few seconds for the Quality meter to respond. They don't usually 'lock' onto the signal instantaneously. If E or W doesn't get a Q reading, readjust elevation up or down 1/2 a degree and repeat. Once you get a reading, carefully adjust E-W & elevation for Maximum. Tighten the bolts. Perform a Blind scan to get the other transponders and channels.(on the one polarity)

Being you're 'locked' onto one polarity, scanning just one polarity would be best. Use H polarity. 18V sent to the lnb. some don't work that well with 13. (That's the polarity selector for an new LNBF, if retrofitted)

These should work for 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku - 11842 H 22000 - 12028 H 22000
11867 V 22000 - 11929 V 22000 << PROGRAM AS HORIZONTAL FOR NOW.

**Location - If you don't know your Lat./Long. go to maps.google.com enter your general location, Zoom into your dishes location. Right click and click on "What's Here" Your Lat/Long will appear in the text area at the top of the page.. Copy and paste into the dishpointer page.

FWIW: I'd add that dish to my 'collection'.
3500 manual: http://www.satelliteguys.us/downloads.php?do=file&id=91
I see our manuals are "404" - manual also available here http://pansat.manualnguide.com/manual-pansat-3500sd

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts