Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Ok, I have found some sources of info regarding the Pansat 9200 with the illuminatti add-on board and the DVB-S2 functionality.

All info seem to concur on these things:

DVB-S2 blind scan does not work, box even locks up at times.
DVB-S2 is possible with the add-on and even without the add-on if the signal is QPSK DVB-S2 (not sure how that was concluded)
It is possible to find the DVB-S2 on the 9200 with blind scan, but it requires an extra step or two.

Procedure I got from Pansat USA tech support for DVB-S2 (and I saw this same info paraphrased elsewhere) was the following procedure.

Blind scan a sat normally, pay attention to anything that logs with a identifier or name, but has no audio or video
Go back and edit that TP to be DVB-S2 and re-scan that TP again. Possibly manually chaning FEC each time. Info also indidcates that pilot must be ON for the TP scan to find anything.

I do not have a add-on board so I cannot try it, nor do I know of any QPSK DVB-S2 TP's out there.

So can anyone who has the board or knows of some DVB-S2 stuff to try it on their 9200t? Again, I am just trying to pass on info I have found and received in email. All sources were pretty much the same info, I just tried to consolidate it.

Even if this does work, I don't know if the price of that add-on is worth it for myself.

*edit:
Got to thinking on this, why would tech support refer to the supposed 3rd party illuminatti board.

Last edited:
question: why would tech support refer to the supposed 3rd party illuminatti board.

Maybe they don't have their own model ready to sell yet??

. . . or maybe it's their design, but being marketed through a front organization to make it look like 3rd party . . . ? :rolleyes:

btw, I thought that board did 8psk, but the wrong kind...?
... but unless it does -both- kinds of 8psk (is that possible?), then how would it do Equity?

yeah, I'm confused somewhat on their reference to that board. Especially since it does not appear the factory firmware supports it, but in ghia's review, it appears to work
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/123298-pansat-9200-w-s2-8psk-addin-card.html or at least recognize the card.

Either way, if I can find one for less than $200 shipped, I'd probably try one and I am gathering that it actually has real FTA use, but is obviously targeted at the hackers.

Is anyone concerned that ordering one of these things could lead to a potential threatening letter.

If you are not decrypting encrypted programming, there is nothing illegal about owning one. I'd just be concerned if I ordered one from a known hack joint that had pre-loaded 3rd party software on it...

Only from my bank... :eek:

Priceless! (no pun intended...)

Well, the boards themselves don't have any software loaded so no worries there. Receivers can be reflashed.

I personally would not be concerned if I bought one and got a letter about it cause I know I would not have done anything illegal with it.

But at current prices, there just is not enough out there FTA that would justify the expense for me.

However, I am still interested if anyone who has one can try it per the info/instructions I posted to see if they can tune in DVB-S2 (Qpsk or 8psk)

I hear what you guys are saying but, I thought I read a thread here where people were getting letters from directv just for buying something or other.

I think the directv stuff was people buying card programmers and such. Which last I knew were not illegal to own either, but from what I gathered, directv was just using intimidation to scare people. Granted many of them were probably doing illegal things with the programmers. I liken it to a gun or similar, it's not illegal to own one, it's what you do with it that can be illegal. Just having and using one of the 8psk boards is not illegal if you don't use it to illegally decrypt the signals from Dish and Bell.

I agree with you 100%. Still in DTV case, people bought programer that can be used with other smart card, they still got DTV letter. Just a scare tatic. It's not about what we think, it's about what the satellite provider do...
This is sad but true, these add-on board are designed to steal the program, and yes there are people buying it for true dvb-s2 FTA, same situation as DTV, the program is not solely designed to program dtv card, it CAN be used to program generic one as well.
Another thing is who you buying the board from, if these sellers sell receivers and raise suspicous from DishNetwork and somehow they get raid, DishNetwork might obtain the list of customers who have bought things and go after the buyers.
We think it's right, but when being involved in lawsuit, that's nasty.
I originally plan to guy an add-on board on ebay but kind of hesitate now, my plan is to check out craigslist and buy one locally in cash.
Kind of suck...especially when you are using it for true FTA.
I am not trying to scare any one, just my opinion...

I think the directv stuff was people buying card programmers and such. Which last I knew were not illegal to own either, but from what I gathered, directv was just using intimidation to scare people. Granted many of them were probably doing illegal things with the programmers. I liken it to a gun or similar, it's not illegal to own one, it's what you do with it that can be illegal. Just having and using one of the 8psk boards is not illegal if you don't use it to illegally decrypt the signals from Dish and Bell.

I've never found a S2 signal that I can watch with the add-in card. As I've mentioned I only have a ku setup, no cband. Looking back it was probably a waste of cash for the board. Maybe it will become useful one day, but for now I would not bother with it unless you were planning to try it on C-band to see what happens. Not sorry I bought it as I was curious to see what it would do. It would be nice if pansat could release a decent channel editor for the box, and a firmware update that enabled the eSATA connection!

Yeah, if I buy one it will be cash. I agree that it is better to just avoid the hassle.

ghia, thanks for responding. Maybe you will find something Ku this summer, but I need the hack market to go dark and the bottom to fall out on the prices before I can justify one since I am Ku only also.

Last edited:
Well I have C and KU but, I surely don't want legal issues. If directv was just using scare tactics, the problem is innocent people then have to pay a lawyer. We all know that's not cheap. You have to spend money to show you did nothing wrong. It's not right but, what can ya do?

Got an email update from pansat. A real dvb-s2 add-on board is being tested on the 9200. If tests go well, it will be sent for manufacture. No eta on street date.

I don't know what the deal is with DVB-S2 and blindscan. It seems every box that has DVB-S2 capability can't blindscan. (Coolsat 8000/8100, Pansat 9000, viewsat 9000, Diamond ? ). So they take out the dvb-s2 on the 9000, give it blindscan and call it a 9200. Grrr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)