Pansat 9200 SD Choppy / flickering ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gardo403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
S.E. Wisconsin
My PS 9200 hd shows a choppy and flickering picture on SD channels!

Seems to get worse and the unit is on for a while..

HD channels are fine. I've factory defaulted, changed output res. different output method, just about everything I could think of.

I mounted a 40mm fan on the bigger of the two heat sinks, cause wow thats hot!!! no change...

Could this be a Power supply thing?
bad caps?

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before

Maybe your capacitors are begining to fail, that happened to me until suddenly my pansat9200 stopped working but the fix is very easy just replace the bad capacitor and like new.

Are these the caps on the power supply or ones on the main board?
there 's alot of those scattered on the main board!!!

yah i've have the same problem on mine since day 1 on all SD channels. don't know the cause yet. attached pic doesn't show it well but.....

Attachments

• Photo032.jpg
    Photo032.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 163
Here's some things to consider, are those problem channels a product of a blind scan? If so you might try manually inputting the FREQ, SR, FEC from a reputable sat list and rescan those channels and compare.

Then we have the overheating issue, a 40mm fan mounted on the heat sink isn't going to do much for removing heat. First of all the heat sinks are mounted with glue and don't transfer heat sufficiently, a remount using a quality heat sink paste is recommended and then using a much larger fan such as a 80mm on the case to exhaust the internal air space, this will also cool the power supply. The 40mm fan only recirculates heated air within the case. I have made these mods with excellent results.

Good point... "heat blowing around in the case" better of putting the 40mm in the back of the box. So i Did...... out comes the cut-off wheel!!!

I mounted it right behind the Power supply.

Just a little nervous about prying off the heat sinks at this point..

I'm not experiencing the massive slow down and lock ups on this box, before any fan messing around either.. I did have a different 9200 years ago that did, It's enough to want to take a hammer to it.... A Friend of mine has one that locks up on occasion and displays a Green screen and sometimes rainbows too.
Seems like these 9200's all behave differantly

Also I checked the Freq. and sr of the SD channels that were flashing / flickering they are dead on with 2 sat lists (here and sat-beams)

One more thing I noticed.... The Serial Number on the unit falls under the not needing the PVR mod. ( the transistor rotation ) but, It's been done by the previous owner. I wonder If that might be causing the video problem??? Q3 is really close to the Mpeg2 Chip. Hmmmmmm.

Last edited:
Gardo, the heat sinks pop right off with a Xacto knife blade wedged between the sink and the chip, carefully tap the blade with pliers or small jewelers hammer. here's the two threads I posted for both modifications. And you don't have to use the resistor or wire the way I did, do it as you please but the larger fan makes a world of difference, it cools everything inside the box by drawing cool air from all directions, even across the power supply.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/207330-cooling-fan-modification.html

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/207171-heatsink-modification.html

Good point... "heat blowing around in the case" better of putting the 40mm in the back of the box. So i Did...... out comes the cut-off wheel!!!

I mounted it right behind the Power supply.

Just a little nervous about prying off the heat sinks at this point..

I'm not experiencing the massive slow down and lock ups on this box, before any fan messing around either.. I did have a different 9200 years ago that did, It's enough to want to take a hammer to it.... A Friend of mine has one that locks up on occasion and displays a Green screen and sometimes rainbows too.
Seems like these 9200's all behave differantly

Also I checked the Freq. and sr of the SD channels that were flashing / flickering they are dead on with 2 sat lists (here and sat-beams)

One more thing I noticed.... The Serial Number on the unit falls under the not needing the PVR mod. ( the transistor rotation ) but, It's been done by the previous owner. I wonder If that might be causing the video problem??? Q3 is really close to the Mpeg2 Chip. Hmmmmmm.

So a Heatsink mod and replacing caps should do it... wish there was a better way to hold the heatsink on...

I might try to capture the picture problem.. and upload it to youtube.... so that people can see this happening in real time....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts