Pansat 9200

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Swamp_Rat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
South Florida
I just recently bought a replacement 9200 with a s2 plus board off ebay. It works fine other than a quick flicker on occasion on the bottom half of the tv screen which looks like color bars or a test pattern. It is only there for a fraction of a second. It is gone so fast I can barely describe what it is. I know there are some heat concerns with the 9200 with the board installed. Anyone ever seen or heard of this? My dead 9200 never did this with the standard s2 board installed.

What else can you tell about this?
Does it happen on all channels, all the time or what?

If your receiver gets more than a little warm to the touch, it's not so good. What some people do (me included) is to use a laptop cooler to keep the receiver cool.

It's not uncommon to see glitches on these 9200's as you probably already know and it's really sad how many glitches this model has. I too just bought a DVB-S2 Plus module and spent 3 days working out all the bugs except for the common ones it always had. Mine didn't want to respond to anything I did, it's a long story but briefly it was a nightmare! I almost trashed it thinking it was dead but after letting it rest for 36 hours and then trying it again it finally snapped up. It was very slow to accept the new firmware and I couldn't navigate the menu long enough to even set up a satellite for scanning, it would freeze for hours before it would digest the data.

I contacted Mr. Hugo at Pansat and explained all the issues and he's been very prompt to reply and helpful in involving their engineer's and technician's. I think it's a firmware problem and have asked them to investigate it. I hope they will address the issues and present a new firmware upgrade in the near future.

He explained to me that the DVB-S2 module and "1226" firmware will require a larger dish or dishes to gain enough signal for proper operation and I told him that it shouldn't be imposed on the consumer to buy new dishes just to use their 9200. The module is working like it should but any DVB-S2 signal I scan is really weak as he explained, it may be the tuner and/or the firmware combined. Only they can know this so the weight should be on their shoulders to correct their problems and not tell the consumer to buy larger dishes.

So where does that put us? What good is the product if we can't use it with an 8 foot BUD? Will I have to buy a 12 footer just to use the new module in my 9200? It doesn't make sense to me why they would sell it knowing this. It's like selling a tire that won't hold air.

It's not uncommon to see glitches on these 9200's as you probably already know and it's really sad how many glitches this model has. I too just bought a DVB-S2 Plus module and spent 3 days working out all the bugs except for the common ones it always had. Mine didn't want to respond to anything I did, it's a long story but briefly it was a nightmare! I almost trashed it thinking it was dead but after letting it rest for 36 hours and then trying it again it finally snapped up. It was very slow to accept the new firmware and I couldn't navigate the menu long enough to even set up a satellite for scanning, it would freeze for hours before it would digest the data.

I contacted Mr. Hugo at Pansat and explained all the issues and he's been very prompt to reply and helpful in involving their engineer's and technician's. I think it's a firmware problem and have asked them to investigate it. I hope they will address the issues and present a new firmware upgrade in the near future.

He explained to me that the DVB-S2 module and "1226" firmware will require a larger dish or dishes to gain enough signal for proper operation and I told him that it shouldn't be imposed on the consumer to buy new dishes just to use their 9200. The module is working like it should but any DVB-S2 signal I scan is really weak as he explained, it may be the tuner and/or the firmware combined. Only they can know this so the weight should be on their shoulders to correct their problems and not tell the consumer to buy larger dishes.

So where does that put us? What good is the product if we can't use it with an 8 foot BUD? Will I have to buy a 12 footer just to use the new module in my 9200? It doesn't make sense to me why they would sell it knowing this. It's like selling a tire that won't hold air.

You must understand,that to receive S2 signals without any problems,you need at least a 10 ft. dish for C-BAND..and this goes for any receiver currently made out there that's capable for S2 receiving...I to have a Pansat 9200HD and a 10 ft. dish and have no problem with the S2 signals..also have 1226 firmware and am not having all the problems you have..I*'m really enjoying the 9200..

You must understand,that to receive S2 signals without any problems,you need at least a 10 ft. dish for C-BAND..and this goes for any receiver currently made out there that's capable for S2 receiving...I to have a Pansat 9200HD and a 10 ft. dish and have no problem with the S2 signals..also have 1226 firmware and am not having all the problems you have..I*'m really enjoying the 9200..

Thanks for the info but my problems with this stb concerned any signal either from C or Ku birds. I didn't go into detail cuz there's too much to write but you can see what is being discussed in another thread in regards to this issue:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...4331-converting-bud-offset-dish-new-post.html

I couldn't even program any sat or user settings. Now that I have my 9200 up and running again, I did blind scan in some S2 sigs but they're scrambled channels. I need to know what FTA S2 signals are in the clear for viewing so I can see how my setup is performing.

Thanks for the input. It is on a 1.2 m and signal quality is not a problem. Most everything that I care about is 90+ with a lot at 99. It is all over the arc and it is so brief it is hard to see what it is. I put an external fan on it last night but didn't have much of a chance to play with it. The only problem with the fan is it is a bit noisy. It does seem to be pretty hot to the touch and other than this it performs flawlessly.
S2 Ku is not a problem at all with the 1.2, most come in booming and I have no breakups or anything else just this little occasional flicker. I am not playing with any c band on this.
It does happen consistently but it is only every 2-3-4 minutes.
And it does happen on standard as well as S2.

I put an external fan on it last night

I thought about putting a fan in my Pansat 9200HD. But after thinking about it I decided not to because: I still have a year and 1/2 left on the warranty. So why should I protect the poor capacitors just long enough for them to fail right after the warranty expires. :rant:

If the Pansat last until the warranty expires I'll install some kind of cooling.:D

I thought about putting a fan in my Pansat 9200HD. But after thinking about it I decided not to because: I still have a year and 1/2 left on the warranty. So why should I protect the poor capacitors just long enough for them to fail right after the warranty expires. :rant:

If the Pansat last until the warranty expires I'll install some kind of cooling.:D

Now is that a wise descision or what, LOL Just wait and see what Murphy's law contributes, it will probably fail right after anything you do.

I had two small PC chipset fans installed inside mine for a while using an external 9 vdc power adapter so that I didn't have to physically alter anything inside but they eventually became too noisy so I removed them. Running fans on lower voltages will quiet them and slow the speed a bit but they are still effective.

Now for some reason it doesn't appear to be running hot with the new DVB-S2 board and the "1226" firmware. The warmest spot is actually above the power supply, the tuner is only slightly warm. My cats will occassionally lay on top of it to warm themselves and I'm finally breaking them of this habit or could it be that it's not warm enough for them anymore? :eek:

It is definitely heat related. Put a 4" fan on top of it and it is all but gone. Why would Pansat sell a $150 board that is going to fry their receiver?

No just set it on top on the back left side facing it from the front. I'm not going to say it is a cure all and I may try to run a different file in it to see if that helps but the cover was hot to the touch and now it is cool and the flickering has gone.

No just set it on top on the back left side facing it from the front. I'm not going to say it is a cure all and I may try to run a different file in it to see if that helps but the cover was hot to the touch and now it is cool and the flickering has gone.

I can't use an external fan like that, my cats would surely have it torn apart in no time. I'm thinking of replacing the CPU heat sink with a larger (taller) one and see how it does. I'll likely reinstall some small chipset fans inside as well if I can find some quality quiet ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)