PAPPAS to cut off their channels from Dish Subss Dec 1 (RESOLVED-deal reached 11/29)

I just called my local Pappas station, Reno KREN 27, to say goodbye!

I'll say goodbye to any of these stupid networks that force me to watch only their programming or nothing at all. I got news for you rupert, cbs, abc, pappas, etc. Your programming aint all that good. CYA!

I'm talking about programming that is supposed to be free. FREE. FFRREEEE! Why should any of these clowns receive even 1 penny from E*, D*, TWC, etc? If they cant get their signal to me and I pay a third party to do that, then they should be happy I'm watching their free broadcast.

I didn't choose my local stations. I can thank the morons in Congress for that. I say morons because I live in California but must watch Nevada political candidates tell me why I should vote for them. Duh! I can't vote in Nevada. To the folks I can vote for, whoever you are, I say how smart is that???

Screw all of you.

I'll be losing KREN in Reno, too. I've never watch a show on it in the last 5 years with Dish. I can get both the OTA analog and digital signals from our local Slide Mountain transmitter, but it is so weak (in both strength and programming content). I won't miss it. I'll still call Dish to complain. Maybe I can work out a couple 622s on lease for my 942 and 510.

Good way to start the era of no distants on December 1st when not only do people's distants go bye-bye, they see parts of their local channels being pulled too. Fortunately for Dish most of them are worthless CW stations, but it's still bad timing

No problem.

I called Dish, they said if they cut off my Stations I will get $1.50 off my bill, which is the same price as one Superstation CW. So I will get it one CW super station for free from an other market.

We dont need pappass. Notice the last 3 letters.

I will get Fox from over the air. I dont watch it much anyway.

Well apparently 2 million people care.

"Nearly two million subscribers who currently receive Pappas stations through DISH Network will be affected. "

I'll hear it from my mom who watches this one, Channel 8231 KTNC TV 42 (Azteca) Concord (San Francisco). Dang, where are those rabbit ears antennas?

Look at the markets and look at the CW's dismal ratings. You assume every one of the 2,000,000 Dish subs in every one of those markets watch CW - which is laughable.

The biggest impact is the 3 or so non-CW's stations - but given the size of those markets - the impact is still minimal.

Pappas obviously isn't thinking very far ahead. Charlie doesn't play fair when people give him ultimatums instead of negotiating. I expect Pappas home/work/haircut contact numbers to be publically available to the world shortly.

The problem with the FOX channel being gone is there is programming that is watched. NFL and in a few weeks the BSC bowl games are on FOX. If they are not back by Bowl time that will not be good. I actually live about 4 miles from the FOX tower in the Omaha DMA and cannot get it OTA worth a crap. Signal too strong or something I am told. Used rabbit ears and a roof top antenna in the crawl space above the garage. Nothing seems to work and others in the area have the same issue. I may be gone if this drags on too long. It was FOREVER before these stations joined the locals in most of these markets too. I would not hold out hope that this is resolved quickly with the two parties involved.

KDBC-TV, Dish Network settle differences (4:55 a.m.)
By Dave Burge / El Paso Times
Article Launched:11/30/2006 04:57:07 AM MST
http://www.elpasotimes.com/breakingnews/ci_4746202

Dish Network subscribers in El Paso will be able to view CBS affiliate Channel 4-KDBC (cable Channel 3) after all.
KDBC's owner, Pappas Telecasting Companies, announced late Wednesday night that it had resolved differences with the Dish Network.

Earlier in the day, Pappas had issued a press statement saying subscribers of the Dish Network would no longer be able to access its channels.

That would have meant that Dish Network subscribers in El Paso would be unable to watch some of the nation's top-rated CBS television shows, including the "CSI" franchise of three television shows, "Survivor," "NCIS" and "Cold Case."

Pappas, based Visalia, Calif., owns 27 stations nationwide.

The differences between the two companies stemmed from a federal appeals court ruling that Dish had violated copyright laws by illegally retransmitting so-called distant network signals throughout the country.

Pappas and Dish had been unable to reach an agreement to extend broadcasts beyond today, but in a news release from Pappas late Wednesday, Pappas
officials said they had reached a long term agreement to continue carriage of Pappas stations in 11 markets including El Paso.

Earlier, EchoStar, Dish Network's parent company, said Pappas was "demanding unreasonable terms and conditions," according to an e-mailed statement.

Pappas Chairman and CEO Harry J. Pappas, says, "Dish (had been) unwilling to pay even a modest price" to local stations that "must spend millions of dollars to buy or to produce this programming."

The move would have affected only Dish Network subscribers. KDBC can be viewed over the air, on cable and through DirecTV.

Now, DirecTV Group Inc., seizing on the court ruling against EchoStar, offered some customers of the rival satellite television service $150 to switch providers.

Subscribers to Dish Network who are losing broadcast network channels because of the court ruling also are being offered free equipment and installation, El Segundo, Calif.-based DirecTV said Wednesday in a statement.

The ruling creates an opportunity for News Corp.-controlled DirecTV, the largest U.S. satellite TV service, to poach some of the 900,000 EchoStar customers who are affected by the decision.

EchoStar operates a call center and technical center in East El Paso that employ about 2,000 workers.

Dave Burge may be reached at dburge@elpasotimes.com; 546-6126.

Bloomberg News Service contributed to this story.

Roy Ortega contributed to this story.

Pappas obviously isn't thinking very far ahead. Charlie doesn't play fair when people give him ultimatums instead of negotiating. I expect Pappas home/work/haircut contact numbers to be publically available to the world shortly.
LMAO :)

Thank you Pappas and Dish for doing what is right and in best interest of the customer.

Are you being sarcastic or what, did they get something setteled, this is huge to me I will be losing my local CBS and Fox, probably have to go back to cable.

sucks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)