Paramount +

So, Disney is going to sell back the thing they are almost finished buying?

Disney to acquire the remainder of Hulu from Comcast for at least $8.6 billion
Ha, yeah, that's what I'm proposing. Sounds a little crazy, I know, but Disney didn't really have a choice about buying Comcast's one-third stake in Hulu. The sale was pre-ordained by a contract struck a few years ago; either side could have forced the sale to happen come 2024. But I think it's highly unlikely that Disney would have agreed to buying the rest of Hulu at this point if they didn't have to. They simply don't need it because they have Disney+, which in similar foreign markets (e.g. UK) has proven itself able to carry a selection of adult-focused content under the Star brand section of the app, thereby broadening the app's overall appeal.

I'm not saying that Disney gains *nothing* by owning Hulu outright. But if the end goal is to migrate their subscriber base from a soft bundle (two apps) to a "hard bundle" (one app spanning both brands), well, they didn't really need to spend $8.6 billion to do that, did they? Seems like a lot of money to pay in order to eventually shut down the Hulu app and reduce the brand to a Hulu (rather than Star) tile on the Disney+ home screen.

Disney's CEO has been all over the place recently in terms of long-term strategy, questioning the importance of general entertainment assets like ABC, FX, etc. when Disney's bread-and-butter comes from their Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars brands represented in Disney+ and their theme parks. Almost sounds to me like he's regretting his prior Fox acquisition. But then after the Hulu purchased was announced, he's made more positive comments about the kind of general entertainment content it carries.

All that said, I think if Comcast had been willing to buy Disney's stake in Hulu (rather than the other way around), Disney would have sold it. But, for now, anyway, it seems like Comcast still believes in Peacock, so they didn't want Hulu. But I expect Comcast, as well as WBD and Paramount, to all become increasingly willing to consider other ways to play the streaming game as 2024 unfolds. There's a narrative on Wall Street that's increasingly taking hold, that the streaming wars are over, Netflix has won, and smaller players (including Paramount+, Peacock, and maybe Max) won't be able to survive the coming shake-out.

Consolidation will eventually happen, one way or another. The only choices for these guys may be to merge (risky, because the government probably won't allow), to bow out of SVOD and become content arms dealers (a la Sony), or to cooperate via a joint venture SVOD (like the original Hulu or Sky Showtime, the European JV of Universal and Paramount). Of course, should they pursue the JV route, they could always launch yet another new streaming brand (Universal Warner+, anyone?). But this late in the game, they'd need all the help they can get to succeed. Moving into a service that's already built and popular, and one that also has a successful vMVPD add-on that carries their linear channels, would make a lot of sense, at least if they could buy Hulu at the right price (which, admittedly, may not be possible). We'll see what happens...

All that said, I think if Comcast had been willing to buy Disney's stake in Hulu (rather than the other way around), Disney would have sold it. But, for now, anyway, it seems like Comcast still believes in Peacock, so they didn't want Hulu. But I expect Comcast, as well as WBD and Paramount, to all become increasingly willing to consider other ways to play the streaming game as 2024 unfolds. There's a narrative on Wall Street that's increasingly taking hold, that the streaming wars are over, Netflix has won, and smaller players (including Paramount+, Peacock, and maybe Max) won't be able to survive the coming shake-out.
Comcast did want to buy it, just could not make it work fiscally to where it would make sense to do it.

They are also, like Warner, trying to pay down debt, which they have done, from $100 Billion to $94 Billion.

Now, the rumors are, Comcast would love to buy Warner, but they believe the extra debt is too much in today’s world, they also do not believe the Government would agree to it anyways.

Same reason why there are no rumors of Comcast buying Paramount, Government would never approve.

For Government to approve, needs to be a different business, like Apple buying, because of no fear of job loss, etc.

And no, I do not believe Apple is buying it either, they are always brought up every time there are rumors of a sale, never happens.

I’m more interested in what Discovery+ will be like over this year. Cost ($2.99 for military?), programming, actual “independent” existence….

I heard Apple was buying the federal government. Oh, WAIT!

:oldlaugh
I would believe that more then them buying Disney.

Everytime there is a rumor about Disney, I have heard Robert Iger is great friends with Tim Cook, so that means Apple is going to buy Disney, please, why.

I would believe there would be more then that to suggest a sale.

I would believe that more then them buying Disney.

Everytime there is a rumor about Disney, I have heard Robert Iger is great friends with Tim Cook, so that means Apple is going to buy Disney, please, why.

I would believe there would be more then that to suggest a sale.
Apple doesn't historically buy hot messes like Disney. The also tend to only buy smaller companies who have market (Beats) or tech they want to grow into. By all accounts AppleTV+ is doing better than expected, and Apple is happy to let it continue on the current path, so I am just not sure why they would want to buy a debt-laden behemoth like Disney. What is the upside for Apple?

We get ABC reruns on Hulu, CBS reruns on Paramount, and NBC reruns on Peacock. Could these streaming channels eventually replace broadcast networks?

Comcast did want to buy it, just could not make it work fiscally to where it would make sense to do it.
Eh, I saw where Roberts made some comments last year about how they might want to buy Hulu but I think that was more about just trying to fluff up the perceived value of the asset ahead of their buyout from Disney. I wonder whether Comcast seriously considered buying out Disney's 2/3 stake. And if they did, whether the price would have been set by the same valuation process dictated by the existing contract that governed Disney's purchase (i.e. use of an independent valuator, etc.).

As I say, I think Disney's decision to become sole owner of Hulu was made a few years back when calculations about how the streaming wars would play out were more optimistic. I don't think they'd make that decision now if they had to do it over. Heck, I think if Iger could go back in time, he would not have made the Fox deal in an attempt to scale up into a direct Netflix competitor. Instead, he would have sold off ABC and ESPN and launched Disney+ pretty much as it is now, except maybe also available as an add-on "channel" inside other companies' apps. Disney+, to me, always seemed like a premium service you get in addition to a more basic general entertainment service, i.e. the family entertainment equivalent of HBO. Trying to turn it into "something for everyone" with a lot of un-Disney content aimed at adults seems off. But then I don't know that it makes sense for them to keep that stuff in a separately sold app (Hulu) either.

Eh, I saw where Roberts made some comments last year about how they might want to buy Hulu but I think that was more about just trying to fluff up the perceived value of the asset ahead of their buyout from Disney. I wonder whether Comcast seriously considered buying out Disney's 2/3 stake. And if they did, whether the price would have been set by the same valuation process dictated by the existing contract that governed Disney's purchase (i.e. use of an independent valuator, etc.).

As I say, I think Disney's decision to become sole owner of Hulu was made a few years back when calculations about how the streaming wars would play out were more optimistic. I don't think they'd make that decision now if they had to do it over. Heck, I think if Iger could go back in time, he would not have made the Fox deal in an attempt to scale up into a direct Netflix competitor. Instead, he would have sold off ABC and ESPN and launched Disney+ pretty much as it is now, except maybe also available as an add-on "channel" inside other companies' apps. Disney+, to me, always seemed like a premium service you get in addition to a more basic general entertainment service, i.e. the family entertainment equivalent of HBO. Trying to turn it into "something for everyone" with a lot of un-Disney content aimed at adults seems off. But then I don't know that it makes sense for them to keep that stuff in a separately sold app (Hulu) either.
I agree with a lot of this. The thing about the Fox purchase is the first price was actually a decent one, then NBCU got involved and ran the price up, at which point Disney had to bite the bullet. I didn't think the Fox purchase was terrible at that time and, while I don't think it's as rosy today, I still think the purchase will benefit them in the long run. I think the biggest thing is that they got lucky when the government forced them to sell off the RSNs - they got about $15B of that money back pretty quickly and we all see how that is going.

As for Hulu, since it happened at the same time, people tend to couple it with the Fox transaction. What really happened was they entered this agreement with NBC after they bought AT&T's 10% at whatever valuation was at the time. In hindsight, I agree they don't do any of this again because I don't think they expected Disney+ to actually pick up as many subscribers as it did so quickly. They were banking on the bundle to entice current Hulu subscribers to add Disney+ for a cheap price. I always thought the two hubs of content was dumb, personally.

On the whole of Fox, I think the deal will actually end up getting into the black in a couple years. Avatar was a big one both from the movies perspective and from licensing (they were paying not insignificant money to have it in their parks). I am not a fan of the movies, but can't deny they are probably the last of the "must see in theaters" breed. I know Marvel is a hot mess right now, but Disney now has sole ownership of the two biggest franchises in F4 and X-men. If they can turn the Marvel ship around, there's billions there. Plus, getting the distro rights to Star Wars back also helps. Regardless of how you felt about those movies, they all performed well and not having to split that pie (and media sales) with a distributor helps.

All that said, I think there are some regrets, but I wouldn't put anything into the category of "this was a colossal mistake"

Reactions: NashGuy
Heck, I think if Iger could go back in time, he would not have made the Fox deal in an attempt to scale up into a direct Netflix competitor. Instead, he would have sold off ABC and ESPN and launched Disney+ pretty much as it is now, except maybe also available as an add-on "channel" inside other companies' apps. Disney+, to me, always seemed like a premium service you get in addition to a more basic general entertainment service, i.e. the family entertainment equivalent of HBO. Trying to turn it into "something for everyone" with a lot of un-Disney content aimed at adults seems off. But then I don't know that it makes sense for them to keep that stuff in a separately sold app (Hulu) either.
I have no idea if anyone wanted ABC/ESPN a few years ago, I did not work for them then, but even so, the value for both is probably half what it would of been just five years ago.

Reactions: NashGuy
It very much looks like controlling interest in Paramount Global is going to be sold to *somebody* before long.

I'll be surprised if anyone comes forward with a better offer than Skydance, but we'll see. But if she finds a buyer, I fully expect that they will sell off CBS, Showtime and the basic cable nets (perhaps to three different buyers), trimming down Paramount to pretty much just the studio (along with maybe Pluto TV).

Reactions: MikeD-C05
More news and as I explained, will keep happening within this and next year-

Next up, look for news regarding AMC+ by the end of the year, early 2025, rumor is looking to just sell the content again, Netflix might be the one to pick it up, mostly because no one else is offering anything for it.

If Peacock and Paramount+ merge it brings up an interesting dilemma. Peacock is NBC and Paramount+ is CBS. I get my local channels from those networks on each service. I wonder how that would work if they are combined.

If Peacock and Paramount+ merge it brings up an interesting dilemma. Peacock is NBC and Paramount+ is CBS. I get my local channels from those networks on each service. I wonder how that would work if they are combined.
Well, since we can get all the networks on one service, Cable/Sat/YTTV types, you would believe it would be ok, but it does seem like something the Federal Government would look at and go hmmmm.

If it is a combine the two and get a discount type of deal, should be ok.

I really doubt Comcast would buy Paramount, still carrying almost $100 Billion in debt, to take on more debt to buy Paramount is not a good thing in today’s world, also spending a bunch building a new theme park ($3-4 Billion).

Government would say no anyways.

This feels like a reaction to the ESPN/WB/Fox service, even though it's not even nearly the same thing. "They didn't invite us to their party, so we'll do our own thing together!"

More news and as I explained, will keep happening within this and next year-

Next up, look for news regarding AMC+ by the end of the year, early 2025, rumor is looking to just sell the content again, Netflix might be the one to pick it up, mostly because no one else is offering anything for it.
What would the new name be? Para-mount-cock + :biggrin2