Participant to shut down Pivot Network

quality that does not make my eye sockets bleed.

You should be forced to watch only VHS and NTSC video on a 13" CRT for the next month.
Let me know how you eyes are doing.

Amazingly we had generations with NTSC on small CRTs and no reported eye bleeds.

I was watching some old VHS stuff a few weeks ago. It's amazing how quickly we've come to expect so much.
(Not just TV/video either. After years with a 33.6 kbs modem I chuckle when people say throttled 128-256 kbps cellar data is unusable)

You should be forced to watch only VHS and NTSC video on a 13" CRT for the next month.
Let me know how you eyes are doing.

Amazingly we had generations with NTSC on small CRTs and no reported eye bleeds.

I was watching some old VHS stuff a few weeks ago. It's amazing how quickly we've come to expect so much.
(Not just TV/video either. After years with a 33.6 kbs modem I chuckle when people say throttled 128-256 kbps cellar data is unusable)

I grew up with VHS - and have no desire to revisit the dark times. :)

The issue isn't "niche" channels but rather "orphan" channels, that are not affiliated with major conglomerates. MTV has about 10 or so niche channels that Dish has to carry because of Viacom's clout. Pivot and Ovation don't have big companies behind them and so they don't have a bright future. If Ovation were taken over by Fox or Comcast it would be a must carry.

The issue isn't "niche" channels but rather "orphan" channels, that are not affiliated with major conglomerates. MTV has about 10 or so niche channels that Dish has to carry because of Viacom's clout. Pivot and Ovation don't have big companies behind them and so they don't have a bright future. If Ovation were taken over by Fox or Comcast it would be a must carry.

Even then they can be put out to pasture - saying this as a former fan of G4 which was owned by Comcast.

When he talks about skinny bundles and providers dropping niche channels I do. Sounds like Charlie Ergen thinking to me.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I never quite understood the strong dislike shown for him here and that other board. It always felt like it originated from folks who feel they have some invested interest in being propagandists for DirecTV or Dish. Originated there and latched on to by many hangers on. He posts relevant, discussion worthy content from everything I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Hmm, Pivot is going away. SD so didn't watch it a lot, maybe if Veronica Mars was on.

Then thread immediately derails in to Viceland and Millenial media viewing habits.
Read about the demise of niche channels that may be coming soon to a lot of these channels.

www.tvpredictions.com/niche081816.htm
What is a niche channel? They already are all gone except Cartoon Network and TCM.

MTV has about 10 or so niche channels that Dish has to carry because of Viacom's clout.

That's the problem. Viacom forcing Dish to carry them (and us to pay for them) so they can get the 2 or 3 channels the customers want. Not enough people would pay extra for the other channels, and with out Viacom tying them to the big channels they won't survive.

Same as Tribune tying retransmission of locals to carriage of WGN America (and a rate increase for it to boot).

Right, Disney and Comcast and Viacom and Fox, CBS and Discovery and Time Warner are all going away tomorrow, if not sooner.

No, not go away, but quite tying the channels together. Let them sink or swim on their own merit not on the coattails of more popular channels.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
They obviously won't be doing that, because it is more advantageous for them to bundle them together them as a group. Maybe if Trump becomes President it could happen.

My two comments on this topic:

"Darn, there goes my place to watch marathons of Buffy The Vampire Slayer."

"Darn, Dish just introduced Flex Pack, and it is already down a channel." :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts