Patrick Kaleta - Buffalo Sabres

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Shouldn't this guy have his 'Man Card' revoked or something? (Yes, I listen to Mike and Mike in the morning).

For those of you unfamiliar, he's a young kid, 50 or so games into his NHL career, who makes his living playing five minutes a game and creating as much havoc as he can during those five minutes. He's a so-called 'energy' player (what, the rest of them don't have energy?) who is put on the ice only for the occasional shift, or whan the coach feels the team needs a shot of adrenaline or a change of momentum.

The difference between Kaleta and most other 'energy' players, is Kaleta has perfected a habit of starting trouble, squaring off with an opponent mano-a-mano like he's going to go...and then he stops. As soon as the other player starts throwing punches, Kaleta falls and kisses the ice in turtle position. In two games last week he drew a five a a four minute power play for his team.

Buffalo fans, of course, think he's invented a new ingenious way to win games, while fans of the other 29 teams are not so much enamored with this tactic. It just seems to go against some unwritten hockey 'code' or something.

Kaleta is not the first one to think of this, Matthew Barnaby (in Buffalo amongst other stops) also did this on occasion, but was also known to throw them on occasion. Other players have done this too, but not over and over and over again.

Kaleta does have a couple of fighting majors but it seems like they happened because he just didn't get to his knees in time. That will happen, but usually he's able to turtle before anything bad happens.

Any truth to the rumor the Sabres' third jersey will have a turtle on it?

Sandra

Shouldn't this guy have his 'Man Card' revoked or something? (Yes, I listen to Mike and Mike in the morning).

For those of you unfamiliar, he's a young kid, 50 or so games into his NHL career, who makes his living playing five minutes a game and creating as much havoc as he can during those five minutes. He's a so-called 'energy' player (what, the rest of them don't have energy?) who is put on the ice only for the occasional shift, or whan the coach feels the team needs a shot of adrenaline or a change of momentum.

The difference between Kaleta and most other 'energy' players, is Kaleta has perfected a habit of starting trouble, squaring off with an opponent mano-a-mano like he's going to go...and then he stops. As soon as the other player starts throwing punches, Kaleta falls and kisses the ice in turtle position. In two games last week he drew a five a a four minute power play for his team.

Buffalo fans, of course, think he's invented a new ingenious way to win games, while fans of the other 29 teams are not so much enamored with this tactic. It just seems to go against some unwritten hockey 'code' or something.

Kaleta is not the first one to think of this, Matthew Barnaby (in Buffalo amongst other stops) also did this on occasion, but was also known to throw them on occasion. Other players have done this too, but not over and over and over again.

Kaleta does have a couple of fighting majors but it seems like they happened because he just didn't get to his knees in time. That will happen, but usually he's able to turtle before anything bad happens.

Any truth to the rumor the Sabres' third jersey will have a turtle on it?

Sandra

Whine!!! Whine!!! Whine!!! Whine!!! Whine!!!.....Want some cheese to go with that Whine???:D

Only one I know that needs his mancard revoked is Sean Avery, particularly after that piece on ESPN about his love of fashion.

And IslandGuy is right. 11 points out of a possible 12, and two points taken from the Rangers.

Only one I know that needs his mancard revoked is Sean Avery, particularly after that piece on ESPN about his love of fashion.

The guy who dated Elisha Cuthbert and other Hollywood types should have his mancard revoked?

I guess I don't understand this whole man-card concept, I thought dating Elisha Cuthbert would make Avery some kind of man-card God or something.

Sandra

The guy who dated Elisha Cuthbert and other Hollywood types should have his mancard revoked?

I guess I don't understand this whole man-card concept, I thought dating Elisha Cuthbert would make Avery some kind of man-card God or something.

Sandra

I know who he has dated. Did you happen to see the piece on ESPN?

You watch Mike and Mike?

I like that show a lot, especially their 'Monday Morning Quarterback' and 'Stone Cold Lead Pipe Locks.'

You watch Mike and Mike?

I like that show a lot, especially their 'Monday Morning Quarterback' and 'Stone Cold Lead Pipe Locks.'

I usually listen in the morning, I don't watch. I don't really work, I...that's a story for another day!

But I do like to listen when I'm in the car in the morning. They're fun. Boomer and Carton in the morning on WFAN is terrible because of Carton. We get Philly stations here in central NJ too, and you can only take so much of Angelo Cataldi of 610 WIP in the morning. He's not as bad as Carton, but a little bit of Angelo goes a long way.

I love Howard Eskin in the afternoon on WIP. Sometimes listening to him I get 'Eagled-out' though, and I go back to Francessa on the FAN.

That's what I like about Mike and Mike, they talk about things from a national perspective...and they've got great chemistry.

Sandra

Forgot to mention that one of the Mikes- Greenberg- is a Jets fan, like you.

It was funny this morning when he said he wished Favre cared a little more about the Jets game plan, and a little less about the game plan of the teams playing the Packers.

Sandra

Where does this silliness come from?

Kaleta isn't a dirty player. He's no Chris Neal or Sean Avery. He plays a tough physical game, but he's never making dirty plays.

Kaleta hits hard. And a lot of players don't like that. He'll never start a fight. But sometimes players try to start a fight with him.

He draws a ton of penalties, usually after someone goes after him for hitting them.

Kaleta isn't thrown out there to "create trouble" though. That would be the job of the NHL's most useless player...Andrew Peters.

Where does this silliness come from?

Kaleta isn't a dirty player. He's no Chris Neal or Sean Avery. He plays a tough physical game, but he's never making dirty plays.

Kaleta hits hard. And a lot of players don't like that. He'll never start a fight. But sometimes players try to start a fight with him.

He draws a ton of penalties, usually after someone goes after him for hitting them.

Kaleta isn't thrown out there to "create trouble" though. That would be the job of the NHL's most useless player...Andrew Peters.

Perhaps you should re-read the OP. I never said he was dirty or didn't hit hard. The post was about something else entirely.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)