Pay Up Front

Jaeldawn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Tennessee
I am moving to a new house where the only option for internet or TV is satellite. I called DISH and was told that I needed to pay right then and there for service instead of paying at the time of installation. Giving someone money before they do any work to me is ridiculous, especially since I have had problems with other internet providers not showing up for installation. Is this typical? Am I going to run into this with any satellite provider?

the only time you "pay up front" is if you buy all the equipment and do a no contract option
The guy on the phone never mentioned any of that to me. He just said he needed a credit card and would bill the amount to me right then and there. I asked him if there was an option to pay at the time of install and he said no. I told him then I would have to call other providers to see if there was someone who would let me pay at the time of install, and he said "You really don't have many options, and you had plenty of time to show around. By now you should know that we offer the best deals". I told him best deal or not I am not paying for work that isn't done. After all that he didn't say that was the option for paying for everything up front.

I think you talked to a worthless CSR. Yes, it is normal to get your CC, but they do not normally charge to it until after the install. Regardless, you are best off getting your service from one of the the DIRT members here (Dish Internet Response Team). Go to the bottom of the Forum page, and PM one of the on-line members whose name will be in RED.

EDIT: I did see that no one seems to be on line at the moment. Just keep checking.

Wrong........dish does charge your 1st months bill right then & there. They have the ability to hold for payment, but it will still need to be paid before the installer activates.

Wrong........dish does charge your 1st months bill right then & there. They have the ability to hold for payment, but it will still need to be paid before the installer activates.
That is crazy! Well thank you for answering my question. I am for sure NOT going with DISH now. I never give ANYONE my credit card before any work is done. I can't believe they have a whole network worth of people who do.

That is crazy! Well thank you for answering my question. I am for sure NOT going with DISH now. I never give ANYONE my credit card before any work is done. I can't believe they have a whole network worth of people who do.

Welcome to the 21st century. DirecTV, HughesNet and ViaSat are the same way so if you want TV and internet you will have to produce the digits.

You should check and see if you have a local retailer that can come out to your house, or you go to his shop, and get acquainted so you feel more comfortable. You'll still have to provide the credit card number before any order can be entered but at least it will be with a neighbor and not an unknown body sitting who knows where.

Dish requires 1st month bill to be paid before activation, regardless of autopay or papered billing.
Directv will still require a CC at the time of order, they put a hold on CC to see if it's any good. Nothing is charged to you until after activation. CC is hit within a couple days if autopay used or they send you a paper bill for the 1st billing real shortly after activation. Certain equipment may have you paying upfront if your configuration is outside the scope of standard.

Sorry, my reply was a bit slower than your Stardust. I do see that there are some that do take the number but hold it until the time of install, and I am perfectly fine with that. One other question, DISH says that the Hopper is free to customers, but there is a $10 per month DVR fee. I don't understand if it is free why there is a charge. Is this also typical with other providers? If you got a DVR with another provider would it be more than $10 per month?

It's a free equipment upgrade, but both still charge a monthly fee.
You came to the right place for info. You really need to figure out what you need or want to spend & start going from there.
Welcome to the site.

Sorry, for repeating myself, for some reason my posts are a little slow refreshing on my end. My zip is 37774. Thanks for all of the info. It has been very helpful!

Sorry, my reply was a bit slower than your Stardust. I do see that there are some that do take the number but hold it until the time of install, and I am perfectly fine with that. One other question, DISH says that the Hopper is free to customers, but there is a $10 per month DVR fee. I don't understand if it is free why there is a charge. Is this also typical with other providers? If you got a DVR with another provider would it be more than $10 per month?
Yes, it is typical from all providers, though DVR and equipment fees will vary among them. FREE means you are not being charged for the equipment. But all other fees, DVR and equipment fees still apply. BTW, if you get a Hopper and a Joey, the Joey will incur a $7 monthly equipment fee on top of the DVR fee.

There are some here who are extremely loyal to either dish or directv & will sway you 1 way or another. The bottom line is they're both good providers & have nearly the same reliability.

That was one thing the sales guy on the phone mentioned. I could be misunderstanding the equipment, but he was trying to throw a Joey in there, but I was thinking the Joey is if you have more than one TV. Is that correct? I told the guy that I only have 1 TV. Do I still need a Joey?

stardust3 said:
Directv will still require a CC at the time of order, they put a hold on CC to see if it's any good. Nothing is charged to you until after activation.

When I attempted to switch to Directv several months ago they charged my card before the install. When they wanted to put the dish roughly 20 feet into my yard I cancelled and it took two weeks for them to process the refund.

There are some here who are extremely loyal to either dish or directv & will sway you 1 way or another. The bottom line is they're both good providers & have nearly the same reliability.
Well, I do understand this is a DISH forum, so I expect people to try and sway me to DISH. The house I am moving into now has a HughesNet satellite already cemented into the ground in the back yard. That would have been my first pick, because equipment is there, but they din't want to use that equipment with a new customer. I don't know anything about them, so I am a bit leery. I at least know DISH customers.

You will pay a DVR fee each month with almost anybody. Certainly with the two satcos. If you don't want/need the DVR functions, you can save a bit on the monthly bill. Me, I'd never go without a DVR.

You will pay a DVR fee each month with almost anybody. Certainly with the two satcos. If you don't want/need the DVR functions, you can save a bit on the monthly bill. Me, I'd never go without a DVR.
I do want a DVR, and $10 a month is not bad in my opinion. I am just wondering if other providers charge additional fees for the DVR in addition to the monthly fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts