Paying extra to view WPIX 11 & WWOR 9

twillers

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
I'm curious if there are any other people out there who are in the same boat I was in.
I live in the NY metro area, and I signed up with Dish Network in early 1999. I had cable before that. One of the main reasons for the switch was because I was able to get local channels. The local channels were CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC. WWOR and WPIX were not considered local stations. They were considered Super Stations along with WSBK, KTLA, and KWGN. In order to get WWOR and WPIX with the local stations you had to purchase the Super Station package. At the time it was $4.99 for one package, and $7.99 for both. Over the the years the cost went up on both. The super package went up to $5.99 as did the locals.
I upgraded to Dish 500 the other day. I was looking on the Dish Network website to see what I would get with the Top 60 package. It showed all the channels plus the local channels. The thing that caught my eye was, WPIX and WWOR were listed under the local channels. I've been paying extra for the right to view those two channels since 1999. When I Called Dish and asked them about it, I got the run around. I was told I was paying for the "Super Station package". When I informed them that was the only way to get WWOR and WPIX when I signed up, they told me WWPIX & WWOR were part of the local stations. When I asked when it changed , I was told Dec. 2002. So for a little over 2 years I have been paying $4.00 extra a month for something I didn't need or want. As far as I know, I was never told I didn't need the super stations anymore. It took 4 phone calls and 2 supervisors to get them to give me any sort of compensation. In the 2 years the extra cost was about $100.00. They gave me one month of Top 60 ($26.99) Big deal.
I was wondering how many other people are unaware that this change took place, and are still paying for something they don't need.

twillers

**programming subject to change w/o notice** if its that important, maybe its something you should have checked out more than once in 4 years. even if you were paying for the superstations package only for the two channels, there more channels part of superstations. you were still getting other channels in that package and were paying for it. i'm surprised you were compensated at all.

Your right I should have. If it was anything other then the locals I probably would have. I guess I figured there wasn't anything you could do to change what was local or it would have been done from the start. Foolish me.

occasionally, some (but not most) local packages will be missing a wb, or upn, or occassionally one of the big 4, but after a while they get added. when local networks get added, or just a missing network is added there will be a press release that can found on dish webpage.

Before 1/1/02, the only stations you could get of your locals were CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX (called the big 4). This was per SHVIA. Once 1/1/02 hit, ALL full powered stations in a market had to qualify for must carry, and then they were carried

Before 1/1/02 you are right…the only way to get WWOR & WPIX even in NY was the Supers
After 1/1/02 you would get them in your local package…everyone else can qualify for them

I have WPIX for WB programming (there is no OTA WB in Duluth, MN)

I'd like a dollar for every customer that has kept the superstation package because they think they need it to receive WWPIX and WWOR, and for no other reason.

aphiohokie said:
**programming subject to change w/o notice** if its that important, maybe its something you should have checked out more than once in 4 years. even if you were paying for the superstations package only for the two channels, there more channels part of superstations. you were still getting other channels in that package and were paying for it. i'm surprised you were compensated at all.
a disclaimer does not make it a non-reprehensible activity! something should have been mentioned to people living in Los Angeles and New York

Don't forget, the Supers you paid for still included WSBK, KTLA, and KWGN. So you were still getting something for your money. As far as Dish knew, you could have ordered the Supers for timeshifting purposes.
I order KTLA and KWGN for that reason (my DMA already has an Eastern UPN & WB).
For a refund, they actually did good. Because WSBK, KTLA, and KWGN would have been $4.50 for the 3 of them. At most during this time all 5 cost $5.99. So you were really only "overpaying" at most by about $1.49/mo.
btw, Dish (or anybody for that matter) is never required to personally inform you of any cheaper options than what you have. The rates are published, it's the user's job to check them.

I still would have liked to have been informed that I didn't need the super package any longer to get WWOR, and WPIX. In one of the posts "aphiohokie" commented that this type of thing is usually posted in a press release. This is the link to the press release that tells of the change, dated 1/27/01. (http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=460&layout=-6&item_id=240276)
Thats all well and good. The only problem is, at the time I didn't own a computer. Besides, no one should have to go looking for something like that. Dish should have gone out of there way to inform people, just like they do when they market something that is going to make them money.
By them not going out of there way, they stood to make a lot of money. I belive there are over 10,000,000 customers to date. What if 5% or 500,000 customers still are unaware of the change. Derwin0 said in the previous post, "you were really only "overpaying" at most by about $1.49/mo". Well in my book thats about $750,000.00 a month Dish Network is making that they shouldn't.

I still feel they should have let me know, I didn't need the super package anymore to receive channel WWOR and WPIX. In another reply "aphiohokie" said there is usually a press release when things like this happen. Here is the link to that press release, dated 12/27/01.
(http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=460&layout=-6&item_id=240276)
To be able to find or read the release, you would need a computer. Back then I didn't own one. Besides that's not the type of thing you should have to go searching for. I feel Dish should have gone out of there way to inform people of the change, and give them the option of dropping the super package. Not unlike the way they do when marketing a feature, or product that will make them money. By them not making the effort, they made money. I believe there are over 10,000,000 customers to date. What if 5% of them are unaware of the change. In the reply above Derwin0 said "So you were really only "overpaying" at most by about $1.49/mo". Well in my book that is about $750.000 a month that Dish Network is making that they shouldn't. Even if it's only 1%, thats over a $1,000,000 a year. I'm sorry, I have a problem with that.

I still feel they should have let me know I didn't need the super package anymore to receive channel WWOR and WPIX. In another reply "aphiohokie" said there is usually a press release when things like this happen. Here is the link to that press release, dated 12/27/01.
(http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/i...&item_id=240276)
To be able to find or read the release, you would need a computer. Back then I didn't own one. Besides that's not the type of thing you should have to go searching for. I feel Dish should have gone out of there way to inform people of the change, and give them the option of dropping the super package. Not unlike the way they do when marketing a feature, or product that will make them money. By them not making the effort, they made money. I believe there are over 10,000,000 customers to date. What if 5% of them are unaware of the change. In the reply above Derwin0 said "So you were really only "overpaying" at most by about $1.49/mo". Well in my book that is about $750.000 a month that Dish Network is making that they shouldn't. Even if it's only 1%, thats over a $1,000,000 a year. I'm sorry, I have a problem with that.

twillers said:
I still feel they should have let me know, I didn't need the super package anymore to receive channel WWOR and WPIX. In another reply "aphiohokie" said there is usually a press release when things like this happen. Here is the link to that press release, dated 12/27/01.
(http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/i...&item_id=240276)

Just wanted to pass this along...

Just to add another log to the fire :D

WWOR and WPIX became part of the NYC locals package on January 9, 2001. This was a full year before "Must Carry".

WNET, the NYC PBS station was added to the local package on 10/6/2001 in response to the "situation". Some may recall that the building that housed the transmitters for most NYC stations ceased to exist on 9/11/01.

Must Carry began 1/1/02

See ya
Tony

twillers said:
I believe there are over 10,000,000 customers to date. What if 5% of them are unaware of the change. In the reply above Derwin0 said "So you were really only "overpaying" at most by about $1.49/mo". Well in my book that is about $750.000 a month that Dish Network is making that they shouldn't. Even if it's only 1%, thats over a $1,000,000 a year.
Those numbers are somewhat skewed. Only a tiny fraction of those 10,000,000 live anywhere near New York. And anyway, you still were getting the other supers, so there was some value to the package. And exactly how is Dish supposed to know that the only reason you wanted the supers was for the New York stations and not the others?

TNGTony said:
Just to add another log to the fire :D

WWOR and WPIX became part of the NYC locals package on January 9, 2001. This was a full year before "Must Carry".

WNET, the NYC PBS station was added to the local package on 10/6/2001 in response to the "situation". Some may recall that the building that housed the transmitters for most NYC stations ceased to exist on 9/11/01.

Must Carry began 1/1/02

See ya
Tony

Thanks Tony
I thought all channels that weren't the Big 4 werent added to locals until 1/1/02 :)

Derwin0 said:
Those numbers are somewhat skewed. Only a tiny fraction of those 10,000,000 live anywhere near New York. And anyway, you still were getting the other supers, so there was some value to the package. And exactly how is Dish supposed to know that the only reason you wanted the supers was for the New York stations and not the others?
I'm not saying Dish Network is supposed to know why I wanted the super package. What I am saying is, they should have put as much effort into informing customers they don't need to keep the super package to get WWOR & WPIX, as they do when they want you to purchase a package. A press release is not my idea of going out of there way. I'm not sure, but I believe that is or was the way, Dish marketed WWOR & WPIX in other parts of the country.
For the record in NY metro, WWOR & WPIX were always local stations if you used an antenna or had cable as I did. So yes I only wanted what I had before, and the only way to get it was to purchase the SUPER Station package.

From a post in another forum, I thought of a very easy way for Dish to inform subscribers of any changes that take place. Under menu on both of my receivers there is an item listed as mail. I have never gotten an electronic email from the receiver, but I would assume the reason its there is to let customer know about important information. Why not use it.

twillers said:
From a post in another forum, I thought of a very easy way for Dish to inform subscribers of any changes that take place. Under menu on both of my receivers there is an item listed as mail. I have never gotten an electronic email from the receiver, but I would assume the reason its there is to let customer know about important information. Why not use it.

They're still working out the bugs. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)