Paying extra to view WPIX 11 & WWOR 9

GaryPen said:
You'll know when they have the email system working correctly, because that is when they will discontinue it.
I think I just found out what the email will be used for. I have a DP311 receiver. Below is a copy of the latest software installed in the receiver.
There going to use the mail feature to let people know there payment is late. Just another example of how Dish goes out of there way to make money.

P258, 2-1-05

* Features
o Support added for future ITV applications (Sharper Image/Order History, launching this week; and TVG, hopefully launching next month, plus others)²
o Late payment reminder popup

twillers said:
I'm not saying Dish Network is supposed to know why I wanted the super package. What I am saying is, they should have put as much effort into informing customers they don't need to keep the super package to get WWOR & WPIX, as they do when they want you to purchase a package. A press release is not my idea of going out of there way. I'm not sure, but I believe that is or was the way, Dish marketed WWOR & WPIX in other parts of the country.
For the record in NY metro, WWOR & WPIX were always local stations if you used an antenna or had cable as I did. So yes I only wanted what I had before, and the only way to get it was to purchase the SUPER Station package.

Oh please, you can't be that naive. Why would ANY company try to go out of their way and spend extra money to tell their customers how to cut their monthly bill and reduce their revenues. Does ANYONE here remember getting a call from their CURRENT phone company telling them how there is a cheaper calling plan that will save them money. Is there ANYONE here who has gotten a call from their credit card company telling them that they have newer offerings with lower interest rates, lower fees, or more features? Has ANYONE gotten a call from the IRS telling them how new deductions are in place which could save them money.

It is up to YOU to stay on top of these things. Reading these forums is a good start. When ANYTHING changes there is usually a firestorm of either positive or negative activity debating the new "program". Watch the chats to stay on top of new packages, receivers, and discounts. As much as we ridicule the chats they do discuss new additions and program rules fairly extensively when they do change direction.

Even if you fail to practice due diligence and stay informed, the worst you can do is pay a little more for a while until you figure it out.

I also am from the New York area (the Jersey Shore) and wanted Channels 9 & 11. I got the superstations but kept them because I like the scheduling flexibility. It is also fun to recrod west coast feeds and see commercials from other parts of the country. C'Mon.... the Jack in the Box ads are a RIOT.

BobMurdoch said:
Oh please, you can't be that naive. Why would ANY company try to go out of their way and spend extra money to tell their customers how to cut their monthly bill and reduce their revenues. Does ANYONE here remember getting a call from their CURRENT phone company telling them how there is a cheaper calling plan that will save them money. Is there ANYONE here who has gotten a call from their credit card company telling them that they have newer offerings with lower interest rates, lower fees, or more features? Has ANYONE gotten a call from the IRS telling them how new deductions are in place which could save them money.

It is up to YOU to stay on top of these things. Reading these forums is a good start. When ANYTHING changes there is usually a firestorm of either positive or negative activity debating the new "program". Watch the chats to stay on top of new packages, receivers, and discounts. As much as we ridicule the chats they do discuss new additions and program rules fairly extensively when they do change direction.

Even if you fail to practice due diligence and stay informed, the worst you can do is pay a little more for a while until you figure it out.

I also am from the New York area (the Jersey Shore) and wanted Channels 9 & 11. I got the superstations but kept them because I like the scheduling flexibility. It is also fun to recrod west coast feeds and see commercials from other parts of the country. C'Mon.... the Jack in the Box ads are a RIOT.
Naive no, playing devels advocate yes. In all honesty I don't believe the average person would take the time to go through the steps you mentioned. Especially the elderly. My father is 82, and doesn't want to know what a computer is. At that age you become a creature of habit. You don't question, you just pay, because it's the way it's always been. I'm not saying this is true of all elderly people, but it does happen.
By the way, last time I called Verizon about a problem I was having, they did tell me about some new options that saved me money.

Sorry, didn't mean to make my comment look like a personal attack...... But Caveat Emptor rules the corporate land. If they DO point out a cheaper alternative, then they are the exception to the rule. Verizon HAS pushed a few marketing initiatives my way when they were trying to get me to add services, but they never called to offer me cheaper pricing for a plan I was already on. Ditto for the cell phone providers.

I agree that the elderly may be less likely to follow up, but I submit they are probably LEAST likely to be interested in the offerings of the WB and UPN as well. Unless Granny likes her WWE Smackdown (is that still on UPN..... since they cancelled Enterprise, the only show I watched on the network, I could care less). Well, Seventh Heaven maybe.

So, finally.... be pleasantly surprised if a corporate entity does the things you are asking for, but I wouldn't get mad if they don't. Otherwise, you are going to find yourself getting mad a LOT. And I've always felt that getting mad a LOT isn't healthy for you. You need to adjust your expectations downward.

BobMurdoch said:
Sorry, didn't mean to make my comment look like a personal attack...... But Caveat Emptor rules the corporate land. If they DO point out a cheaper alternative, then they are the exception to the rule. Verizon HAS pushed a few marketing initiatives my way when they were trying to get me to add services, but they never called to offer me cheaper pricing for a plan I was already on. Ditto for the cell phone providers.

I agree that the elderly may be less likely to follow up, but I submit they are probably LEAST likely to be interested in the offerings of the WB and UPN as well. Unless Granny likes her WWE Smackdown (is that still on UPN..... since they cancelled Enterprise, the only show I watched on the network, I could care less). Well, Seventh Heaven maybe.

So, finally.... be pleasantly surprised if a corporate entity does the things you are asking for, but I wouldn't get mad if they don't. Otherwise, you are going to find yourself getting mad a LOT. And I've always felt that getting mad a LOT isn't healthy for you. You need to adjust your expectations downward.

Not a problem. I didn't take that way. I figure if enough people read this, mayby a few will realize they are in the same boat, and contact Dish to drop the package. In that case it's worth it.
The only reason my parents wanted WB and UPN is because they got it with the old antenna, and cable as a local station.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts