Paying $$$ for DIRECTV Boxes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdavid

Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
I signed up for DIRECTV about 2 months ago, like everyone else they gave me the standard 4 boxes for free. I got an HDTV last week so I call DIRECTV to get a new box- sure not a problem $99.

I think that's reasonable being that they have to come out and put up a new satellite on our roof, but to ask $300 for a HD DVR that you don't OWN and still are paying a monthly service fee seems a little ridiculous to me.

If I had Comcast, they give you the box, no charge, If i had Tivo, the box is practically free when you sign up for service and you own it.

I understand paying $300 to own the HD DVR box, but does anyone think this is a little crazy?

That has been discussed many times try searching if you really want information. Lease fees are lease fees if you don't like them you don't have to lease it.

...if you don't like them you don't have to lease it.
Can you buy the boxes outright anymore ?? When they were first released, I thought you could. Value Electronics sold them. Now they only list the $299 (lease upgrade fee) cost, as does Best Buy.

I believe my customer said that he had 30 days to activate it (he got it from retail for $300) or pay the full price of $900 something if it's not activated.

I signed up for DIRECTV about 2 months ago, like everyone else they gave me the standard 4 boxes for free. I got an HDTV last week so I call DIRECTV to get a new box- sure not a problem $99.

I think that's reasonable being that they have to come out and put up a new satellite on our roof, but to ask $300 for a HD DVR that you don't OWN and still are paying a monthly service fee seems a little ridiculous to me.

If I had Comcast, they give you the box, no charge, If i had Tivo, the box is practically free when you sign up for service and you own it.

I understand paying $300 to own the HD DVR box, but does anyone think this is a little crazy?
absolutely nuts.

Yup, maybe nuts, but then i have to ask the question Vurbano, what do you call it when in your words you spent a fortune on D* equipment and technical add ons and upgrades and hate the service?

There are an awful lot of nuts out there - DirecTV can't produce them fast enough for the demand! And wait until the few weeks after Christmas when ALL of those NEW HD sets are installed!

I wish I was as nuts as them - they have over 15 MILLION subs!

Yup, maybe nuts, but then i have to ask the question Vurbano, what do you call it when in your words you spent a fortune on D* equipment and technical add ons and upgrades and hate the service?
Hell, if I hated the service or Id call it a new form of bait and switch on D*'s part by throwing their PQ in the trash after luring people in and making them pay big bucks to own the HR10-250. But, in any case, I own MY equipment and did not spend a fortune for the right to lease it. Huge difference.

Last edited:
In 6 months or so, the HR10-250 will not be of any value in getting HD from DirecTV - at the best case very limited HD. Will have lots of value as boat anchor.

I would know, I have 6 RCA IRDs that I also own (worthless), and 2 HD irds (Hughes) that are also worth a mere fraction of what I paid for them. Point of owning is?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts