PBS and PBS Kids on Roku

I don't understand their way of serving things to users of newer boxes, and upsetting those who own older hardware.

Granted, hardware grows old and is outdated. Things like operating systems, processors, CRT's. But, a box that can consistently render HD from Amazon and Netflix and can handle weather apps and other interesting content should NOT be excluded from getting a channel like PBS. I'm pretty sure my box is the second generation. It's the first of the "smaller' boxes, does not have component out, but does have the HDMI and standard A/V out, and is no longer marketed.

Not having games? Sure! My box and remote wasn't designed for that, but why in video content do they have to do this? Like many, I'd love to have PBS, but I'm not going to rush out once a year for another hundred dollar box just because a channel shows up that is "incompatible" and yet, I'm one of the biggest fans of the ROKU, having owned one from nearly the beginning!

Its because of changes in the encoders, the PBS streams are using better encoders that provide a better picture and use less bandwidth. Unfortunately those streams are not decoded by the older boxes.

I upgraded to the Roku 3 (and was not happy about doing it...) and now I am VERY happy I did, this new box is so much better all around and I love using the remote with my pillow speaker to watch and listen at night without butting my wife. :)

Put up a ku dish and you will not need Roku. I was given a roku box and maxed out my ISP on some channels and required a paypal account to activate. Took it off line and KU dish and DVB receiver do the job now. By doing this can get PBS extras like Oklahoma and Montana PBS. Dr. Martin is on OETA tonight and they have the movie club too.

Put up a ku dish and you will not need Roku. I was given a roku box and maxed out my ISP on some channels and required a paypal account to activate. Took it off line and KU dish and DVB receiver do the job now. By doing this can get PBS extras like Oklahoma and Montana PBS. Dr. Martin is on OETA tonight and they have the movie club too.

Actually, since we got our Roku devices we are watching way less FTA satellite.

Yep Since I got the Roku XS I rarely turn on the fta receiver. My Roku isn't as finicky as my FTA dishes too. No bandwith caps here either. Today I noticed if you go to the PBS icon on the Roku channels and push the * button you can change the zip code for your local PBS. I got it to work with some of the Montana PBS stuff.

I don't understand their way of serving things to users of newer boxes, and upsetting those who own older hardware.

Granted, hardware grows old and is outdated. Things like operating systems, processors, CRT's. But, a box that can consistently render HD from Amazon and Netflix and can handle weather apps and other interesting content should NOT be excluded from getting a channel like PBS. I'm pretty sure my box is the second generation. It's the first of the "smaller' boxes, does not have component out, but does have the HDMI and standard A/V out, and is no longer marketed.

Not having games? Sure! My box and remote wasn't designed for that, but why in video content do they have to do this? Like many, I'd love to have PBS, but I'm not going to rush out once a year for another hundred dollar box just because a channel shows up that is "incompatible" and yet, I'm one of the biggest fans of the ROKU, having owned one from nearly the beginning!

I hear you. I just sprang for a Roku 3. I was getting sick and tired of my box not getting some of the newer channels like Vudu, and now, PBS. I also just found out my box was not going to get the new UI upgrade when that comes. That was the final straw. I'm still going to have to keep the old box around because it's the only way I'll be able to use the Filmon app, since I will not be able to transfer it over to the 3.

There are channels on Roku that are on C-Band satellite and if you can't put one up having a Roku is great
Or in my case no dish anymore. Lots of KU channels I use to watch are on Roku

I hear you. I just sprang for a Roku 3. I was getting sick and tired of my box not getting some of the newer channels like Vudu, and now, PBS. I also just found out my box was not going to get the new UI upgrade when that comes. That was the final straw. I'm still going to have to keep the old box around because it's the only way I'll be able to use the Filmon app, since I will not be able to transfer it over to the 3.

I see a lot of complaints about this at the Roku forums, and it does suck not being able to get newer content. But obviously the newer content needs newer, more powerful hardware. And if Roku didn't make new product, Roku users would be missing out on a lot of stuff they can get now. Complaints should be directed to the content owners and not Roku. They're the ones who make the decisions on what codecs and technology to use to deliver their content and not Roku.

There are channels on Roku that are on C-Band satellite and if you can't put one up having a Roku is great
Or in my case no dish anymore. Lots of KU channels I use to watch are on Roku
Also A Roku is cheaper and less complex compared to a FTA set-up

Also A Roku is cheaper and less complex compared to a FTA set-up
I agree a lot cheaper. When I think of how much I spent on FTA stuff vs what I paid for my Roku it's a no brainer. Fta is ok but less to watch over time. Cband subscription is pretty much gone. I can't think of very many people I know under 30 that listen to AM or FM radio anymore. Things are changing in the tech world so fast it's hard to keep up lol..wasn't that long ago I had a flip phone..now it's a smart phone. I couldn't imagine having some of this technology in the palm of my hand 10 years ago.

I see a lot of complaints about this at the Roku forums, and it does suck not being able to get newer content. But obviously the newer content needs newer, more powerful hardware. And if Roku didn't make new product, Roku users would be missing out on a lot of stuff they can get now. Complaints should be directed to the content owners and not Roku. They're the ones who make the decisions on what codecs and technology to use to deliver their content and not Roku.

I can see "features" like better pause, games, interactivity, remote audio, and better remote controls being only in newer boxes, that's a no-brainer, and attractive to some buyers.

I cannot understand PBS HD programming being any different than an HD movie from Amazon, Netflix, or others. Granted, new hardware is good...but basic programming should be available across all ROKU platforms.

Not making today's non-interactive HD video standard and available across all of the ROKU boxes makes no sense to me! Especially after already buying three Roku's. One original (still have) One Roku SD (gave to a buddy who uses it on older TV)....and the first of the slightly smaller ones with just HDMI and standard video (no component) model. None of these will take PBS programming according to Roku, and at a hundred bucks each, the trend is to need a new Roku each year and I think I've spent enough. I love the boxes I have, but feel like I'm being ignored as a Roku consumer.

Think of it as your old Roku is only MPEG 2 while the new boxes support MPEG 2 and MPEG 4.

The newer channels are in MPEG 4 format which not only look better but use less bandwidth.

Since your a radio guy I guess one way to explain it is your AM stereo transmitter can't broadcast in HD. (Well in this case HD radio may not be better) :D

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts