PBS and PBS Kids on Roku

Actually, Scott it all came clearer a bit ago.....when I just posted about having someone test the ROKU for AAC. you had correctly pointed out some time ago that the TUNEIN app for ROKU only renders mp3 streams. If it (ROKU 3) does AAC, I can see it being a "hardware change" necessary as this is a perfect parallel to my complaint about PBS.

It does make sense, but from a strictly "viewers' point' it's annoying to feel you're missing out on the convenience of having newer channels. I also think at some point, folks will get tired of constantly buying hardware updates. Most of us don't buy new TV's or other boxes as often as Roku wants us to. I'm a huge FAN of roku, but didn't know I needed a subscription for new HARDWARE each year! They should offer a trade-in and save millions of boxes from being thrown out.

(BTW..we are HD capable on AM, but as you know, its horrible. My xmitter could do it, but licensing and the bad sound made me say, NO...lol)

Radio I agree looks like we used to buy an FTA receiver every couple of years, now we get to buy a Roku every year lol..I got my Roku 2XS last Christmas and think I'll keep it a while longer.

I would say you would need to buy a new box (if you want to get all the new channels) every two years. I bought my first Roku (Roku LT) about a year and a half ago. And I don't know of any channels it can't get.

Yes, but "only" 50 to 100 bucks a year EVERY year seems a bit excessive and a great example of planned obsolescence. Granted, it's tough to avoid that in these fast paced electronic days. I know my newest roku wasn't wasn't bought that long ago...(and only because I needed to change the multiple hookup system I have...thus I deployed the older component-capable box to an older component LCD TV.) I just hope ROKU, which has a GREAT reputation for available programming variety doesn't shoot itself by getting a "box of the month" reputation.

A $49 - $89 STB is manufactured and optimized to process a specific codec. As the market develops new encoding, hardware is rendered obsolete. I believe that the success of the Roku products have been the low cost of entry. Folks are willing to try new technology because "if it doesn't work, I'm only out less than it cost to take my family to one movie".

Distributing future-proof hardware would likely drive the product cost into a different market segment. Yes, it would be great if an upgraded model was available that could be enabled for supporting the plethora of new types of distribution, but then it would take the "KISS" concept out of their success!

Has anyone else today had "random reboots" of their ROKU while playing?
I have two units, both the "older" ones that are not getting the updates supposedly. One stopped in mid play earlier today, allowing audio to stream with black screen on Netflix, then tonight, the newer unit stopped in playback of HD content, unit rebooted, and there was no memory held for "resume playback."

Two units, two different times, two different models. Both rebooting at separate times today.

Has anyone else today had "random reboots" of their ROKU while playing?
I have two units, both the "older" ones that are not getting the updates supposedly. One stopped in mid play earlier today, allowing audio to stream with black screen on Netflix, then tonight, the newer unit stopped in playback of HD content, unit rebooted, and there was no memory held for "resume playback."

Two units, two different times, two different models. Both rebooting at separate times today.

I haven't had that problem, but since I hooked up my new Roku 3 box on Friday, I've had to pair the remote 3 times, and re-do the network connection setup 5 times. It keeps losing the signal. I never had that problem with the old box. Looks like I'm going to have to hard wire it if this continues. I'm wondering if my box is a lemon.

is there any way to change the PBS kids station to a different one?
I know on the PBS site its the * button to change the PBS station....but is PBS kids the same across the board?

When I saw that Roku "got PBS", I thought it was the actual network streaming live. Turns out, all it is an "on demand" channel, with only a handful of programs available. Disappointing.

is there any way to change the PBS kids station to a different one?
I know on the PBS site its the * button to change the PBS station....but is PBS kids the same across the board?
Ice, I don't know I haven't tried to change the kids channel yet. That would be nice though.

Although the new PBS channel isn't live, I feel it does have a lot of on demand content. Practically everything available in the iPad app or on the PBS web player. Also at least for my local affiliate WFYI it has several local programs available as well. For those who want live content, other apps do have the World channel and the mHz channel.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

yeah 3 of the PBS stations in my market (what it loads) have local content too.
The other 2 are just the national stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)