PBS Kids Launch 1/16

Trip

RabbitEars Webmaster
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Jun 21, 2008
Alexandria, VA, US
A number of years ago, PBS provided a national Kids channel. That went away when Sprout launched. Some stations dropped the kids channel all together, while others started a locally-produced kids channel.

Now that Sprout is no longer a joint PBS partnership, it seems PBS is launching a Kids channel on January 16. I've been trying to piece together where it's launching (not including cases where a local kids channel gets replaced with the national feed, which is what I anticipate most or all doing) but I'm not sure I'm catching all of them. In addition, some, like OPB, Pioneer Public, etc. are saying it's coming soon without providing details of what channel it will be on.

If anyone spots anything that's not already reflected on RabbitEars for it, please post it here. This includes whether V-me is going away or being bumped to a new channel on WMVT and KNME, since I couldn't tell either way.

Thanks, all!

- Trip

AFAIK PBS Kids has always been on here. It was never replaced. One of KUFM's (Montana PBS) 4 sub channels. I see Sprout on my FTA setup.

Pittsburgh's WQED has announced they are adding PBS Kids to their subchannel line up. PBS Kids will be 13.5. (Main channel is 13.1, Create - 13.2, World Channel - 13.3, Showcase - 13.4) More choice is a good thing - I'm just hoping the picture quality won't suffer too much with that many subchannels.

AFAIK PBS Kids has always been on here. It was never replaced. One of KUFM's (Montana PBS) 4 sub channels. I see Sprout on my FTA setup.

As I said, the national feed went away and a number of stations did a local version. I won't be surprised to find the local versions go away and are replaced by the national version at launch, but those cases aren't the ones I'm looking for. (I would like to know, after January 16, which ones flip to the national feed.)

Pittsburgh's WQED has announced they are adding PBS Kids to their subchannel line up. PBS Kids will be 13.5. (Main channel is 13.1, Create - 13.2, World Channel - 13.3, Showcase - 13.4) More choice is a good thing - I'm just hoping the picture quality won't suffer too much with that many subchannels.

Thanks. A Google search was able to find multiple articles confirming that. I've updated accordingly.

I have no idea why you posted that link. And "might" and "maybe" with no sources is not useful information.

- Trip

Just showing a updated list of V-Me Affliates. If you search KZOK PBS Kids it shows up but Mediacom doesn't post channel additions coming up and it's one the providers that has that channel.

I see a number of stations have the full pbs kids sub or in the process of launching it, IF KLPB launches it, I'll send you an email TRIP. I rescan my tv the First and Fifteenth of the month for new channels. I do not know a launch date but we should see it rolling down more markets....

Managed to confirm another pile of future PBS Kids affiliates. I've also sent a note off to PBS's press contact in hopes that I can get a list. We shall see.

- Trip

Since the addition of the PBS Kids Channel, and since yesterday when I last looked, Mountain Lake PBS (WCFE Plattsburgh, NY) has changed their PSIP IDs.

57-1 WCFE-HD is now MLPBSHD
57-2 WCFE-SD is now MLMHZW
57-3 WCFE-SD is now MLKIDS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)