PBS OTA channel problem

Slick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2004
Hello Voomers I have a problem that is very weird.. I get channel 56-1 and 56-2 which is PBS, one is HD and the other is SD and I have always recived this channel over the air since I have been a Voom customer..

Lately that channel has not been coming in for some reason, so I checked the OTA signal strengh and power and they are both fine.. So I did a hard reboot of the Voom stb (unpluging it) and if I go right to channel 56 it would come thru fine but if I left to go to another channel and come back forget about it..

Now the hard reboot wont even work anymore.. I really enjoy PBS with its HD and programing and this is getting to be a problem, are any of you Voomers having this problem.. I could use any suggestions if any one has any.. Cya Slick

You're talking about 56-1 and 56-2 as in WTVS in Detroit, right? If so, it may not be a Voom problem. I'm having the same problem ( no reception at all after previously having no trouble with it whatsoever ), so maybe it's a local problem down at the ol' PBS station? I'm not sure how long it's been like this -- I just noticed this morning when I flipped over to watch The Desert Speaks. Hopefully they'll get the problem fixed soon!

Hey the Timm yes I am talking about PBS out of Detroit, it has always been a channel that would always come in and now nuthin.. It is funny tho when I did the reboot that it would come in, I dont have a clue because now I dont get it at all, no matter what I do..

There are some good shows on 56-1 and 56-2 I hope it comes back soon.. Cya Slick

I went to the PBS website (www.detroitpublictv.org) this morning (I shoulda done this in the first place!) and lo and behold -- an explanation :

Viewer Advisory - November 16, 2004
We've heard from many viewers as WTVS Detroit PBS continues to be off the air due to extensive damage from a lightning strike to our transmitter on November 5. Thank you for your patience and support. Today, service was restored to Charter cable system and we are working with other cable and satellite providers to get WTVS back on. For over-the-air viewers, however, we regret to report that damage was extensive and repairs will take another week or more. Viewers who have a digital receiver may access our regular programs on WTVS-DT, subchannel 2. Again, we apologize for the loss of service, but we appreciate your support as our team of technicians work long hours to restore our programs to everyone soon.

Despite what it says, I still get nothing on 56-2, but at least we know now what the problem is and that it'll eventually be fixed. :D

Hey there The Timm, mine is back on now as well.. I have a question for you does your Voom tv guide show listings for channel 56-2 ? I have never had Voom listing for this channel it just shows no info..

I normally use the tv guide in the paper to know when certain shows are on, but when we get the dvr for Voom it wont be able to record anything on that channel because it dont show any info for that channel.What do you think about this.. Cya Slick

No, my guide doesn't show listings for 56-2 -- just (no info). Never has. I think it has something to do with that mysterious "mapping" or "PSIP" (or something like that). I'll bet Sean Mota could help straighten that out, or at least have some suggestion on what could be done about it.

Hey Sean, you reading this? How 'bout it? Any thoughts?

Maybe one of us should try PM'ing him.

Oh, and I have no idea what kinda problems this would mean for DVR use. With all the clamoring for one done on these forums I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I'm not even entirely clear on what a DVR is or does. Something to do with recording shows, right? :confused:

I think it will pose a problem because there is no listing for 56-2, I think the dvr will work something like the program planner does, you click on the show you want to record and be done with it.. I have never owned a dvr of any sort so I am not totally sure about its use..

I hope a dvr comes out soon, I could really use it.. Maybe Sean will read this and be able to give us a answer why channel 56-2 has no guide info and how do we go about getting this straightend out.. Cya Slick

DarrellP posted a similar problem in a thread over at the "Voom Help Desk" forum, so I kinda piggybacked our 56-2 troubles onto it. Thread is called "OTA problems (missing PSIP information)" or something like that. Not sure if it's the right place or not, but at least Sean should see it there. We'll see what happens. . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts