pci card help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
have a 31" gemstar satilite with a universal isatel lnb and DVB-S Satellite Receiver System board (PCI). I am trying to tune in galaxy 10R satilite at 123W I am having no luck at geting a signal. I have a compass and I am pretty sure i have it pointed in the right directon but i am getting nothing i have moved it up and down and left and right but nothing is there any thing i can do or is there some thing i am not doing ? help

Need more info.
What program are you using?
What are your LO settings?
Try hitting Echostar9 which is very close to G10R, see if you can get a signal from that, if you can't, there's something wrong with your settings.

lo is 9750 i also tried 10750 and 10600 no luck and that is with e9 and other sats i just want to hit any say to be sure this works then i will try and get the one i want so if you guys no of a real easy sat let me know i also have a -166 signal and 0% quality this does not change no matter what i am aiming at i am in the 77484 zip waller texas 30 miles west of houston i can find lots of different sats but i dont have a clue if i am on the right one also the box my lnbf came in states the lo :10750 and my soft ware recommends 9750 is this a conflict :confused:

If you're going to give up that easily you'll never get a working system.
If you have a universal LNB your LO settings in the program shoud be:

LO1:9750
SW:11700
LO2:10600

If you have a standard LNB your LO setting is 10750.

If you wanna dump the Kworld software you can try Progdvb:
http://www.progdvb.com

Are you using a signal meter to aim your dish?
Let us know if you get anything.

Also: where are you? (zip code). If your dish height, elevation etc is off, all the software changes in the world won't help. Eyeballing directions with a compass probably isn't the best way to locate a particular sat, but it might get you close to one. Do you have any kind of signal meter? Trying to set up a dish from scratch without one is nearly impossible, unless you can put your monitor outisde ;)

i do not want to give up on fta i'm wondering if the card is bogus . my zip is 77484 . is there a way i can upload a pic i will take a few of what i have . i do have a signal meter and i can send it of the scale but i dont know what sat i am on it drops if i move it and it will peak again in a different location

The strongest signals you'll find (and probably keep finding) is the high-powered DBS satellites. The problem is, without a DBS lnb you won't be able to pick up much (if anything) from them. If you can dig up an old DirecTV or Dish lnb from somewhere, you can use that to get your bearings and figure out where you're pointed at. I doubt you're card is any worse than mine (Twinhan 102g I got off ebay for dirt cheap), and it'll work fine... as soon as the dish is set up perfect :D

Edit: Yes, you can post pictures up here using the attatchment button.

this is a few pic's of my fta 31" gem star and my internet direcway dish and may dierctv dish my direc stuff works fine i tuned the t.v sat but i could not tune the internet sat i had to have direc come out and do it

Attachments

• Copy (1) ofPIC_0015.jpg
    Copy (1) ofPIC_0015.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Copy (1) ofPIC_0016.jpg
    Copy (1) ofPIC_0016.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 130
  • PIC_0013.jpg
    PIC_0013.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 151
  • PIC_0014.jpg
    PIC_0014.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 122
  • PIC_0018.jpg
    PIC_0018.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Copy (1) ofPIC_0017.jpg
    Copy (1) ofPIC_0017.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 191
Offhand, the first thing I see is that the FTA dish seems to be aiming rather downward, unless it's just the camera angle. The DirecWay dish is WAY up, the DTV dish is angled upward, and the FTA dish is looking for squirels in the yard :D Again, could be camera angles, but my "eye-clometer" says it should be sitting back on its haunches by at least 20 degrees more.

the dicrecway dish is very picky and that is the only way it works i have very high signal on it and that is what i am on the interent right now with . and the tv works fine both have worked fine for over a year . the fta dish is down i know but i can not pick a signal up any other way do you think it is where it is mounted at i can swing it all around and pick sats up left and right but not any higher ?

should i put the fta on a pole in the yard ? or should it be fine where it is ? if i swing to much more towards the house i guess i will block the signal ? although when pointed at the house the meter is off the chart i dont know if this is a false reading or what :confused:

If you have a universal LNB, the signal meter is useless. The best way to find a bird with a universal LNB (and, really, with ANY LNB) is to take your receiver and a small monitor or TV set up to the roof and set everything up next to your dish. You'll find a lot in no time that way, and you'll be able to immediately peak your setup rather quickly.

The downside, of course, is its difficult to set all that up on a steep roof and you have to do it in dry weather, which is very hard to do in Texas (or in Louisiana where I am :) )

EDIT: I forgot you're using a PCI card. These are really hard to start out with, unless you have a dish already setup. Might be best to get a cheap set-top receiver and bring it up on your roof with a monitor first, then once you've got everything set, use the PCI card. Make sure you get a receiver with blind scan capability, since this is an important feature for finding feeds that your PCI card doesn't have. Also, since you have a universal LNB, your LO should be 9750/10600...

If you have a universal LNB, the signal meter is useless.

Tron

For the meter foud here, the UNIVERSAL LNBF should be fine. This meter passes 22Khz tone to the LNBF without any problems.

I have read some people say it doesn't pass 22KHz, but they must be referring to other brands or older models. I have tested this meter and it works just fine with Universal, Standard, DSS, and DBS lnbfs.

Of course, it is not going to tell you which satellite you are on, and it will be influenced by the stronger signals. Starting at the right azimuth and using the TV screen to verify signal/quality are essential.

Good luck. :)

Wow! I might have to give one of these a try! I thought none of the cheaper meters would work with a universal, that one would need a Birddog or something similar...

jtcrouch said:
should i put the fta on a pole in the yard ? or should it be fine where it is ? if i swing to much more towards the house i guess i will block the signal ? although when pointed at the house the meter is off the chart i dont know if this is a false reading or what :confused:

Yes, it is a false reading.

jtcrouch said:
the dicrecway dish is very picky and that is the only way it works i have very high signal on it and that is what i am on the interent right now with . and the tv works fine both have worked fine for over a year . the fta dish is down i know but i can not pick a signal up any other way do you think it is where it is mounted at i can swing it all around and pick sats up left and right but not any higher ?

JTC,

I am actually using my directway dish (1-way, not 2 way like yours) for my FTA setup. I wasn't using it for dway service any longer, and it was still pole mounted in the backyard.

The very first thing I did when I got my receiver was to hook it up to the dway dish before ever moving the dish at all. The reason I did this is my DWAY dish was already pointed at Satmex 5, which carries several FTA channels.

I did this just to test my receiver and cabling, to eliminate those items from any problems I could have in setting up my system.

It also gave me a very good idea of what the elevation should look like when I set up my system. I took several pictures with the digital camera to reference. (I had to make a homemade mount for my motorized setup, so I did not have accurate elevation markers to use on the mount!).

Given Your DWAY dish is pointed at a satellite that has FTA channels on it (Either Galaxy 11, Galaxy 4R, or SatMex 5)... here are a couple of things to ponder....

1) You could hook the receive cable of your dway system to your PCI card, and test your system. It's known to be pointed correctly and functioning. You could then try pointing your FTA dish at exactly the same spot as the dway dish, and see if you can still get the channels in.

2) Use the elevation of the DWAY dish as a guide to how high up your FTA dish should be pointed.

Here's some information I found on determining what satellite your Direcway dish is pointed at.....

For DirecWay Users : You can see which transponder you are assigned to by right clicking the NAV or DW icon in the system tray, click "About" and click "System Information". Your transponder down-converted frequency is the second line from the bottom listed as Frequency.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)