PCMag.com Declares Verizon FiOS Internet 'Fastest'

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Study Says Company's Broadband Service, Delivered via All-Fiber FiOS Network, Thumps Cable on Speed, Customer Satisfaction

Full Article

PCMag.com and its readers have proclaimed Verizon FiOS the fastest and most satisfying Internet service in the country.

In a study involving a poll of tens of thousands of PCMag.com readers across the U.S. over a period of several months, the independent online technology guide and magazine reported that Verizon's FiOS service outdistanced all cable providers in speed and customer satisfaction.

The magazine enlisted its broadband readers to conduct more than 200,000 individual real-world tests, between May 23 and Oct. 15, of surfing speeds for the readers' Internet connections, utilizing a customized Internet speed measurement application called SurfSpeed. The magazine also asked the readers to assess their level of satisfaction with their ISP.

"What did we find?" the magazine asked in reporting poll results. "Well, if you're able to access a fiber connection, get it: Verizon's FiOS connection easily surpassed even the fastest cable. ... And it's cheap to boot."

The magazine concluded that Verizon FiOS Internet was "152 percent faster" than cable Internet surfing speeds, while its customer satisfaction poll found that 25 percent more FiOS customers were satisfied with their Internet service when compared with responses from cable customers.

"PCMag.com readers are echoing what our FiOS customers have been telling us for years -- that our all-fiber network is providing them with the best Internet experience in the nation," said John Wimsatt, senior vice president of marketing for Verizon.

PCMag.com, which is produced by the same company that publishes PC Magazine, also reported that Verizon FiOS Internet offered service prices comparable to the much slower cable providers.

"This poll leaves little doubt that FiOS beats cable in value based on the all-important factors of speed, price and overall customer satisfaction," Wimsatt added. "FiOS is best. End of story."

Earlier this year, Verizon FiOS was rated the best in PC Magazine's readers survey of "The Best (and Worst)" ISPs in America. The survey, conducted between April 7 and May 14, asked PC Magazine readers to evaluate their Internet provider on 11 categories ranging from speed and reliability to initial setup and overall rating.

Yup it sure is great if you can get it.

Unfortunately most of us can't. And also for many of us FIOS will never be available to us. :(

I'm counting down to January 20th and hoping it's not the latest [strike] lie[/strike] mis-statement sent my way. Conduits in, let's get the fiber run.

My 20/5 is remarkable......FIOS TV is about as perfect as you can get (as long as you have a Tivo instead of one of Vz's toy DVRs).

My 20/5 is remarkable......
I fully agree...always get 20/5, and it always works as advertised.
FIOS TV is about as perfect as you can get (as long as you have a Tivo instead of one of Vz's toy DVRs).
I just counted 105 HD pristine HD channels, and that doesn't include dozens of bogus PPV channels or part-time channels...with 15 more coming soon. My only disappointment is with their HD DVR. Although it is pale in comparison to Dish Network's 622/722 (anyone using this DVR will be spoiled), we actually found the FiOS HD DVR is actually slightly more palatable than the TiVO HD. We've used 9 or 10 HD DVRs over the years and found the TiVO HD box to only slightly better than the Adelphia/Comcast Scientific-Atlanta and Motorola boxes. We just didn't like anything much about the TiVO HD box, interface, guide, etc. - it was inferior to the Dish 622/722, and the monthly subscription fees were excessive, in my opinion.

Anyway, I would love to see EchoStar make a "Digital Cable Ready" version if it's award winning VIP722 HD DVR. We'll just stick with the FiOS HD DVR and our Sony DHG-HDD500 with free TV Guide On Screen for now.

Also, I noticed Diego is getting ready to release their "Digital Cable Ready" Moxi box in a few weeks. No monthly subscritpion fees for the guide data, but the $799 purchase price seems rather steep.

Yup it sure is great if you can get it.

Unfortunately most of us can't. And also for many of us FIOS will never be available to us. :(
Sure you can get it...heck, I moved to Texas just so I could get FiOS.:D Unfortunately, you're probably right...FiOS was 2-miles down the road where we lived in Virginia, but two years later it is still 2-miles down and road and it will probably be another 2-years before the local CC is upgraded and fiber ran to our old subdivision. Verizon actually has another 6 years before they are required to service to 75% of area residence. It takes time and big money to bury miles and miles of fiber....and if you don't live in a Verizon area then you're not going to get FiOS. We were invited to a neighbor's Christmas party last night. His FiOS Internet was running at 100 Mbps down (he is an executive at Verizon). Heck, I am quite happy with 20/5, but this will probably be Verizon's bare-bones package next year, with 100/20 widely deployed by 2010. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 200/50 business package offered during 2010.

No FiOS here, not likely to be available here ever... We're Embarq territory, not Verizon.

But I'm kinda glad I don't live in any of NJ's FiOS territory. I'd have to put up with higher taxes, more overcrowding and traffic, and a generally lower quality of life.

Cable internet service isn't all that bad. I have 30mb down/2 mb up. Works for most of my needs and the speed is consistent.

HD is another matter, but when D* brings back the TiVo DVRs that won't be an issue, since I'll probably switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)