PDA Version Now Available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They work sort of, but not too well since they try downloading all the graphics and everything. Our homepages are not recommended which is why I have the link set to index.php

Works with iPAQ

Using my iPAQ now to enter this message. :)

The only problem I had is that PREVIEW message shows my message preview, but the message box didn't populate with my text and I had to re-enter it again. It works fine if you just Submit w/o Preview.

Yup I will need to remove the preview function, I notice they had the same issue at the other site as well.

I don't see any settings that I can change. It may just be a shortcoming of Win CE and /or Java. (looking on PC while entering msg on PDA)

I've looked at the source code, but it's above me. It will also trash it on a regular PC in PDA mode. So one could assume it might even be the vbulletin code. I dunno.

It is kewl though.

Now I definitely need a wireless card for my iPAQ! :D

it also strips the SIG/Tagline from a memb3rs post. Considering the length of some Sig's, this might be a good thing. ;)

You can tell if someone enters a msg in PDA mode at the very least.

(3rd time entering this cuz the 'HOME' icon is below spacebar in kybd mode. Grrrr..)

Scott,
The Dish forums display in the 'normal' version not the PDA version.

Working nicely here :)

Attachments

• IMG_9051.jpg
    IMG_9051.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 109
Cool! I wish I could use the internet while walking around...

How much for equipment, monthly fees, and the speed?

You can use about any Windows CE driven handheld. Some of the newer ones have a built in 802.11b so as long as you configure it to your home network, there is no extra cost. (Just unit cost) I bought my iPAQ on ebay for $225 last year for a HT remote and use it for everything now.

Speed, I couldn't say. I use mine through the USB cradle, but it is pretty fast for a 200, 300 or 400 mhz PXA250 scalable speed processor with 64mb RAm/32mb ROM (512mb RAM currently NOT in exp slot).

Mine took just under 55 seconds to load msn homepage for the first time(shuttle graphics and all). It will load a satelliteguys page of threads in about 5 seconds and Cascade's image attachment doesn't show up in the PDA version.

You might think 55 seconds is a long time, but it has to go from:

PDA-CRADLE-USB-COMPUTER-zonealarm-Wireless Lan Card- Wireless Router-DLS Modem-ISP-WWW-and back again.

Like I said, *text only* loads super quick.

Plus it will keep my appointments, adresses, play mp3's, wma's and remind me to put it back in the cradle when it gets low on juice. (as long as I remember to do it every few days)

Thats it. There are a BUNCH of different handhelds and even small tablet computers out there. I was going to get a tablet until I heard about the Archos AV700 series coming out. (Portable Media Device)

Who knows... I have to spend my pennies wisely...

Cascade said:
Working nicely here :)
Do you have to switch modes when going back and forth between your PC and the PDA? I've been browsing the site pre-PDA version on my phone for a while and if this fixes the scrolling around i'll be happy :).

<edit> I gave it a shot and it's work'n like a champ on my Smartphone. It doesn't affect the PC browsing at all :cool:</edit>

Is it possible to get the 'in-post' look for the forum top levels? Opening the FTA forum looks like a mess of un-formatted text on the phone. Once I go into a post it's much easier on the eyes.

I've gotta say the speed is pretty nice - even over GPRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)