PEAK INSIDE MY NEW 921!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be really cool if they 921 could have a 2nd OTA tuner in the future. It would make it compete better with Directv's model. Is it possible for the 921 to record 2 satellite and 1 OTA simultaneously in the future or wouldn't that work ever?

Who's gonna be the first to take 2 921's and move the tuners from one to the other?

Glad you didn't get a "This 921 will self destruct in 5 seconds" message once you cracked that bad boy open. Nice work!!

A little off topic, but what kind of countertop is the 921 sitting on? Looks like granite, but I have never seen it inlayed like that. We are going to be replacing our countertop in our kitchen this year and wondered... Thanks!

sjhart said:
A little off topic, but what kind of countertop is the 921 sitting on? Looks like granite, but I have never seen it inlayed like that. We are going to be replacing our countertop in our kitchen this year and wondered... Thanks!

Just a "little" off topic!

Hmmm, let's see...

1) Inlaid granite counter top,
2) Olympus 2040Z camera,
3) $999 for DVR 921,
4) no warranty concerns...

No doubt Robert could afford to live in Tahoe ;)

Back on topic, it would be interesting if someone had internal pictures of the 721 to see if the mobos were close. If the limitation of the 921 to record to record two HD streams at once was a harddrive issue, it would be interesting to see if the hardware could support a second harddrive and addtional 8PSK/ATSC tuners in the free PCI slots.

The expansion slots are not standard PCI - a regular PCI slot has a long and a short section for the connector, in the 921 it goes short, long, short.

The 921 only recording two HD streams at once is a limitation of the Broadcom 7021 PVR processor they are using - this is the same limitation the HDtivo will have.

I was told the processor is a Via C3, no idea on the Mhz though.

Foxbat said:
Hmmm, let's see...

1) Inlaid granite counter top,
2) Olympus 2040Z camera,
3) $999 for DVR 921,
4) no warranty concerns...

No doubt Robert could afford to live in Tahoe ;)

Back on topic, it would be interesting if someone had internal pictures of the 721 to see if the mobos were close. If the limitation of the 921 to record to record two HD streams at once was a harddrive issue, it would be interesting to see if the hardware could support a second harddrive and addtional 8PSK/ATSC tuners in the free PCI slots.

Ok ok.
The countertop is a 1 piece granite with a cutout for the cooktop. There is a vine\flower design inlay in the circular end that the stonemason (3rd generation Italian stonemason!) cutout with a high pressure water gun.
The camera is only a 2MP Olympus!
I used to live at Lake Tahoe for 5 years, but moved to Winchester, VA 4 yrs ago!

BTW, there is definitely enough room to slide another HD\DVD-R in the front access panel under the existing one.

Rob-

Is there a second drive connector on the IDE cable?

Edit- to remove unrelated topic-
Show link had to be pulled due to their contract expiring 12/31.

I think this is the connector they are using. Appears to be a generic 66 pin connector. I haven't done too much research yet. I wonder if its PCI + some extra for their own spec. Whatever connects in there is going to need its own drivers, etc for linux. Think they would go to the trouble of designing their own addin boards along with drivers etc, instead of using off the shelf stuff we could buy :D

Link to connector spec

bytre said:
Who's gonna be the first to take 2 921's and move the tuners from one to the other?

On further viewing of the motherboard shot, I realized that the existing tuners are not in the same expansion slots as "Expansion 1" through "Expansion 3", so the above query is meaningless.

linux on 921

Dish has usually used an embedded Linux on their PVRs with an x86 architecture. They used to post the portions of code subject to the GPL license on their web site, but I couldn't find them.

From the linuxdevices.com web site, I found an old copy of their disclosure (http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3193876970.html).

Hacking-wise, it will probably be easier to add features to a TIVO-based HDTV PVR, but there will probably be some effort with the dish, espceciall re the satellite decoder code and getting the MPEG transport stream out of the box.

Price-wise, I'd guess there's $450-$500 worth of cost in the box, so it will be interesting to see how they'll price it as an add-on receiver once the cable companies start dishing out PVR capability in their receivers.

lc
Excerpt: "This site has been set up to accommodate requests for the portions of the DishPVR 721 source code that are subject to the GNU Public License, or GPL. In compliance with the terms of the GPL, we are making this source code available to the public to download. Please note that the DishPVR 721 software also includes some proprietary elements that are not subject to the GPL. You cannot perform a working DishPVR 721 software build without the additional proprietary code.

As far as I know the GPL code for the 921 has not been released to the public yet.

It will be interesting to see whats changed between the 721 and 921.

kls said:
The expansion slots are not standard PCI - a regular PCI slot has a long and a short section for the connector, in the 921 it goes short, long, short.

The 921 only recording two HD streams at once is a limitation of the Broadcom 7021 PVR processor they are using - this is the same limitation the HDtivo will have.

I was told the processor is a Via C3, no idea on the Mhz though.

It's a standard 32-bit PCI slot. Here's a website that has a nice FAQ with diagrams. http://www.tmc-uk.com/supports/general_faqs/PCI.htm

Of course the spacing could be off to keep people from using non-dish hardware in the space. Certainly a special bracket would be needed. Adding those ports on the boards adds cost to the unit. They are thinking of something down the line. What that something could be? Who knows.

Maybe dish would want to add another HD controller for additional hard drive/DVD-R/Blu-ray devices. One thing is clear, expansion is not ment for the end user (like the expansion ports on the 6000).

Still, you could try a variety of cards in it. Perhaps a linux compatible PCI serial card will give you a terminal login. Or maybe it will blow up the box... Your millage may vary.

Don Landis said:
Rob-

Is there a second drive connector on the IDE cable?

BTW at my website- http://www.tv-shopper.com I have a video of a TV show I did on Granite and Quartz counter tops. It shows some of the Mfg procedures in one part of the show. Requires windows Media 9 and a broadband modem to watch.

i did not look specifically, sorry

edit: also I am NOT going to open it again to find out!!!! The unit is in use.

I can't see them ever providing a HDVD-R upgrade for the 921. It certainly won't be a user serviceable upgrade and would require sending your 921 in, having Dish perform labor to install, and send it back. It would be cheaper to just hook in an after market device.

The only Dish upgrades I know of are the 5000 DD module, 5000 HD module, 6000 8VSB, and 6000 8PSK. All were very simple user plug and play modules.

This expandability is probably there to allow for future enhanced models to use the same platform.

Based on E*'s history I don't see them taking back an older receiver to modify it, even one as pricey as the 921.

You'll just "have to shell out for the newer model" will be their implied attitude. Then again, given E* surprisingly strong resale market value you can probably sell it on EBay for a good trade in on an upgrade.

TahoeRob,

Do you get OTA DTV locals and if so, from where? I am curious how far out can you pick up DTV locals being in Winchester.

Thanks for the link Kagato- That is very good info on this.

AS far as what would or could be done in the future- while you are probably correct in that this will be used to base a 921-2 version some day, I would not agree that this would be a non-user upgrade much less a dealer upgrade. Frankly, I don't see this any different than the average computer card being sold at CompUSA or BestBuy. There will be those consumers who would never open the computer to install a PCI plug-nplay board and require the local dealer to perform the install while others will remove the case and plug in the board following the instructions that come with the board.

Regarding the prediction that it would never be used for an HD DVD-R like in a Blue Ray drive kit. Let me just tell you what one engineer from Eldon told me last year. " We made this 921 capable of being upgraded with additional standard computer hardware architecture, like a BlueRay drive where you could dump the hard drive HDTV to HD DVD-RW rather than to tape. Of Course the technology needs to develop Blue Ray to the point like we have today with a self contained DVD-R drive kit."
I believe with attitudes like this working on new generation receivers, the future looks quite bright for all sorts of user expansion capability. Then on the other side of the coin we have the conspiracy theories about a dark side of the industry that wants all this new age capability to fail- AS usual if the theories are correct they represent a self destructive group since the very thing that drives these groups is the money they make off new technology. My bets are on their greed and not their desire for self destruction.

I thought the movie industry behind the whole "non DVD recording/archiving" of ANYTHING movement. I guess they don't care if eventually the Firewire output is activated in order to archive to D-VHS as next to no one has DVHS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts