Penalty for Paying Dish Annually Instead of Monthly

Pete Ratowski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 15, 2007
Tallahassee
:confused:I have been a loyal Dish subscriber since July 1997 and have helped Dish get at least one hundred new subscribers over the last almost fourteen years. I have always signed up for whatever helped Dish. For instance, autopay and annual billing (when Dish must have needed money years ago). I have two HD-DVR's and one other HD receiver and have been loyal to Charlie and his network. I am paying $10 per month for HD250 and $6 per month for my locals. I also get the HD Platinum package. Since I am on an annual billing package for my 250's, I don't qualify for the FREE HD FOR LIFE deal. I save $5 per month with the annual 250 package. I am paying $6 for locals when Dish use to charge $5 to their monthly subscribers. But since I am paying $10 per month for HD250 (I am saving $5 per month so Charlie can charge me $10 per month for the HD250package which makes me lose $5 per month and pay extra for the locals), I think Dish is really not too good a friend to me. I am going to try to change back to a monthly bill this July. Last July the CSA told me I was too late cause my credit card had already been charged a day before I called. It looks like I should not be actually paying more. I would be happy to just break even with them. An annual package was suppose to save us money and help Charlie with his cash flow when it started years ago. Does this seem fair to any of you guys? Thanks.

Annual billing turned out to be more of a curse than a blessing. Cash is not as important as flexibility and the annual people were inherently discouraged with respect to making programming changes (upgrades).

DISH Network is keenly interested in revenue from VOD and PPV and the annual model was premised on not having to do billing all the time.

Hey Peter, I know where you're coming from with this. There may actually be some way we can assist you with the promotion you're looking for as you mentioned possibly going back to monthly in July. If you can PM me an Account # or Phone # I can check it out.

peteratowski, I also have been on annual billing for over 12 years now. When the HD free for life promotion came out, initially I did not get it. However, after calling Dish, they added it without any problem. Also when the Starz free for a year promotion came out, I initially did not get that either. However, after posting on this board, I found out that the Starz promotion was not automatically given to annual subscribers. One of the dish network internet response team members (MattG) saw my post and set me up with the Starz promotion.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/242378-why-no-starz-channels.html

I still like paying annually because it saves me money and I know that I will be staying with dish for the whole year, so it makes sense for me. Paying annually does mean that you will not automatically be given certain promotions, but it is not that hard to get them added if you contact Dish.

Let me start out saying I worked there for 3.5 years and hated to see the annual programming calls when they had leased receivers on the account.

You didn't mention if the equipment is leased or owned (very few multiple hd receiver accounts are purchased), but with the leased equipment you are charged each month for every receiver on the account. At least with the monthly billing one receiver is included in the monthly charge. The leased receiver fee takes out any savings of the annual plan.

Let me start out saying I worked there for 3.5 years and hated to see the annual programming calls when they had leased receivers on the account.

You didn't mention if the equipment is leased or owned (very few multiple hd receiver accounts are purchased), but with the leased equipment you are charged each month for every receiver on the account. At least with the monthly billing one receiver is included in the monthly charge. The leased receiver fee takes out any savings of the annual plan.

There isn't a lease/additional receiver fee for the first receiver on an account whether leased or owned, unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

There isn't a lease/additional receiver fee for the first receiver on an account whether leased or owned, unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

With annual programming if there is a leased receiver, there is a monthly fee for it even if it is the only receiver on the account. It is included in the programming package for monthly packages.

All three of my Dish receivers were purchased by me. NOT LEASED. There is no charge for my primary receiver. I have sent a PM to Thomas Faust and will await his help. Thanks everybody.

I sincerely appreciate the assistance of Thomas Faust. He solved all my problems and got me switched from annual billing to monthly billing, got me HD free, added Starz and generally made my day. Thanks Thomas!!!!!

I am on annual billing with free HD, free Plat and free StarZ (2 different promotions). It is possible to get free HD with annual billing. StarZ was handled by the IRT here since it was not initially on the account, but they took care of it right away. Annual billing also does not have a primary receiver fee (oddly enough though they bill it each month then give a credit for it).

The problem is more with Dish's billing system. It does not really seem to handle annual billing correctly, but the response team here can fix it up.

Doc6666 said:
With annual programming if there is a leased receiver, there is a monthly fee for it even if it is the only receiver on the account. It is included in the programming package for monthly packages.

You are wrong about that. I am paying annually and I do not get charged for my primary (and only) receiver.

Annual accounts don't have the option for HD Free For Life, since they already get the special of a month free with annual programming. If you were to go to monthly however, you can get free HD and qualify for other promotions in the future.

I have free HD with my annual. I had the free HD before I went back to annual and they kept it on there. I have paperless billing and CC autocharge.

You are wrong about that. I am paying annually and I do not get charged for my primary (and only) receiver.

I was having that problem for a while, and it took a few e-mails to the "ceo" address to get it straightened out. It would drop off for a few months, then reappear. It seems to now be gone for good (so far!).

The good news: I actually got a credit for the months that I had been paying it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)