Pet Peeves (Off topic)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dledeaux

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Longview, TX
I have a pet peeve that I must share.

When buying DVD's, there are typically two versions available. A widescreen version and a "full screen" version. My question is, according to whom is it "full screen"? Because if I watch it on *MY* TV, I have pillar boxes on the sides. It is definantly not full screen.

I don't understand this either and thought my CyberHome DVD player was faulty. I use component out, it is set to 16:9WS (widescreen) and my Sony XBR 910 on standard display still presents it with pillars - even with DVDs noted to be WS.

Dudes,
Yes you are way off the VOOM forum topic range here but, since you asked: Full screen is a 4:3 aspect ratio (normal TV) and widescreen is variable depending on the original aspect ratio of the movie.

First off: check the aspect ratio of the DVD you are watching, usually on the back cover of the box. This can vary widely and will cause your picture to be either too narrow or too wide.

Second: Make sure you have your DVD player properly configured for widescreen viewing: go into setup and change to 16:9.

Third: Make sure you have your TV properly configured to process the information to match the DVD and DVD player configuration and aspect ratios.

Fourth: Why would you want to watch a DVD anyway when you could be watching HDTV??????????

I was just making an observation about an inaccurate way of representing the aspect ratio of a DVD by simply labeling it as "Widescreen" or "Full Screen".

I still enjoy watching DVDs. Actually, if I do a side by side comparison of LOTR 2 on Starz, vs DVD, the DVD actually appears to be higher quality, PLUS it's still in it's original theatrical widescreen format, and not panned and scanned for 16:9.

And, while I am now able to pick out scan lines on even a 480p DVD after watching 1080i, I still find it very watchable.

haldol said:
I don't understand this either and thought my CyberHome DVD player was faulty. I use component out, it is set to 16:9WS (widescreen) and my Sony XBR 910 on standard display still presents it with pillars - even with DVDs noted to be WS.

I know someone with the same dvd player, you have to set it in the setup menus to display 16:9. So look in the manual or just look around on the menus.

I like it best when the DVD is two-sided, with each format on each side. It doesn't cost them much more to do this and everybody gets what they want (the distributors get less store returns to). My biggest pet peeve is when they release DVDs with advertising and trailers that are impossible to avoid (functions disabled). I paid for the movie, this should keep me from having to view the BS! I keep a note of the studio when I get a DVD like this and never buy anything from them again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts