Petition: Add DIY to Top 200/ Ala Carte

I've made a suggestion before about allowing an ala-carte selection of channels in the next-tier package, but it was shot down to hell. For example, if you are in AT200 and want a channel or two from AT250, you could pay, say, $3 for one AT250 channel, $5 for 2 AT250 channels, and anything more than that you would have to upgrade to the AT250 package. In order to select a channel from a higher package, you would first have to subscribe to the package level just below it.

I think you are on the right track about having to be in the next package down. And also a limit on how many you can choose before needing to go to the next package. I'm not sure $3 is realistic, I really think $5 will be the minimum. It might be you could chose one channel of a list from the next package also. I say $5 because the carrier is not going to be interested in you keeping the lower package. They have to balance getting some amount of money more from a subscriber, as opposed to getting them to want to move to the next package.

Well, I threw out numbers of $3 and $5 to entice people who stay with the lower package because they don't think it's worth paying $10 more for one or two channels they are interested in. Sure, some in the higher package would drop to the lower package if they can get just the one or two channels they want from the higher package, but that lost revenue would possibly be made up by others who are currently in the lower package and would be willing to spend a little more to get a channel or two from the next package. Revenue-wise, I think it would be a wash, but from a marketing standpoint it could also increase subscriber numbers as well.

I wish DIYnetwork was what it once was in the past. There are to many decorating type shows and not enough shows that actually tell you how to do it. I wish "Ed the Plumber" was still on, kinda goofy but it had good info.

Sent from my Phone using SatelliteGuys

correct. Canada has theme packs and also pick a channel but its specific type of channel. Basically its what the CRTC calls a "Category B" channel

Category A is the "common" cable channels and cannot be purchased alacarte...they are guaranteed cable coverage
Category B is the others...they dont have to be carried

I would like to see other 250 channels in the 200 before DIY. With that said, the talk of themes and subscribing is one I've supported time and time again. However, these are signed contracts. If you really want this channel in a lower package. Try letting DIY know how much you value their programming. They will use it as ammo in future contract negotiations.

I vote for Top 120 and/or Dish America. We enjoy it when it's free view. But no way I'm paying that much more for 1 channel...well I'm not paying that much more for 50 channels. I'm maxed out on what I'm willing to pay to be force fed channels I don't even watch.

Last edited:
AT250 also includes the movie channels for a few dollars more.

Some of the DIY programming bounces around with HGTV anyway. Holmes on Holmes and some of the Kitchen/ Yard/ Bath Crasher type shows from time to time.

Several years ago Discovery dropped the Home themed channel in favor of Planet Green that is now also gone. But I enjoyed the "classic" This Old House programs (from the 80-90s) and Bob Vila's Home Again series that Discovery carried.

We still see This Old House on PBS.

Channels like The Blaze and Current TV are $5/each. Would subs be willing to pay $5/month for a channel like DIY?

I think Encore Movie Pack ($5/mo) and the Heartland Package ($5/mo) may be good a la carte options depending on the sub's base package.

If dish is going to be greedy, and put certain popular channels on higher tiers, then offer it as a la carte! I would be willing to pay 5 bucks for the DIY network. Or else no one gets my money at all!

Mojo Jojo said:
Channels like The Blaze and Current TV are $5/each. Would subs be willing to pay $5/month for a channel like DIY?

I think Encore Movie Pack ($5/mo) and the Heartland Package ($5/mo) may be good a la carte options depending on the sub's base package.
I'd pay $5 for Tcm if i could keep Latino Dos. Add $3 more to get that and Science.

You can't be serious. (I'm hoping)

I am serious, why should I go from 60 bucks to 90 something bucks for ONE channel that I want? Anything not on the 120 tier should be available on a la carte plain and simple. I guess a person could wait til they decide to put it on the diy website which is not kept up to date.