Petition to remove WFN HD from Dish Network HD Line up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Personally, I would be interested in some of the material on WFN, but probably not if they weren't in HD...and certainly not if they were stretch-o-vision.

Actually, I'm not particulary interested in this channel. My father happens to have an interest in it though. I am happy I do not have to be at his house when he watches it. Both because of the content and because of the quality. Yet, at the same time, I'm glad he has a channel of interest.

Just to reiterate Sean's point, if you're going to broadcast almost zero HD content, and make it worse by formating the widescreen with streth-o-vision, then by all means pull the plug on these turds since it's not really a HD channel.

My post wasn't directed towards anyONE in particular. I didn't really get that point from Sean's original post, but even so, if you read most of the other post in this thread, alot of them are making comments about the content, not the quality/bandwidth/stretch-o-vision.

I can definately understand any frustration with channels that stretch or ruin the broadcast entirely some other way. However, I don't think E* is to blame on something like that.

My preference would be that E* only add new channels if they are in HD. I don't see why we should be adding new channels in SD. The only way we can kick people into the current age of technology is to prevent them from having access to the same channels without upgrading.

Actually, I commend WFN for providing the HD channel even if they havn't got the content yet. So long as it is a work in progress. Sort of like The Weather Channel. They were still in the process of upgrading their studios and software for the HD broadcast, though they made the channel avialable ahead of time. I know this pales in comparison to WFN, since the quality of TWC was still very nice at launch, but in principle, it is working in the same way. We have waited long enough for all of these channels to get into gear and start with their HD broadcasting. I say whatever it takes to get them going with their HD, I'm willing to have patience with them. Alot of the other channels are slowly getting better...... slowly! :rolleyes:

As for it being a waste of bandwidth, or preventing E* from putting up other HD channels, I would guess it is some other issue, not because WFN is taking up a HD slot. Most of the time, the delay with HD is contract or fiber. Why aren't the HD channels that are uplinked available yet? I don't think it is because of WFN! :p

Dish does not want to put it in SD since they would have to pay for it for all subs. This way they only have to pay for those in the HD ultimate. This is the best way for Dish to carry a channel with limited appeal that they are probably forced to carry. Dish is using a lot of Canadian DBS space now and they probably are making an effort to show some Canadian content.

I do not know how many HD Ultimate subs there are, but there are a fewer than regular HD and a lot fewer than SD subs. Dish would not have any HD capacity in a single dish solution if it were not for Canada, this is the tiny price we pay as subs... get over it, the channel is not going away.

even at the last retailer's chat the vp of dish laughed a little bit when he mentioned the addition of this channel.
As well he should. He stated for years that he wouldn't add an HD channel just because it was an HD channel. He wanted channels with quality content.... People (customers) whined endlessly though for more HD. So he gives in and gives them an HD channel .... and people still bitch and complain. He can't win.

Him laughing about this channel almost sounds like him saying "hey, you guys wanted more HD channels and you've got it now".

where is the bias in WFN HD? :) The facts are facts this is a worthless channel and it should be removed.
Can you please list 3 or more facts on how this is a worthless channel ? There is a distinct difference in fact and opinion too....

It sucks the price that was paid (or allegedly paid) to get this channel on DishNet, but I think it has potential once the new programming starts to hit. If, come the fall, the same quantity of HD programming is on it, as there is now, and meanwhile dish settles their disputes with fox and everyone else... then yeah, it would be time for this to go.

I would never vote to remove a channel.

I'll never watch WFN - ever

But I would not go out of my way to sign a petition asking for the removal of a channel that other people do enjoy.

Just my $0.02

About the only thing that would be worthwhile.....

Babes in Bikinis going fishing for Marlin.....

Actually, I probably STILL wouldn't watch it. Yawn.

Put me in for the more Movie Channels in HD vote....

I never watch SCIFI. I think I will start a petition to have it removed.

I would never vote to remove a channel.

I'll never watch WFN - ever

But I would not go out of my way to sign a petition asking for the removal of a channel that other people do enjoy.

Just my $0.02

I really don't care about the content. I don't watch half the HD channels, not going to complain about them.

The point...if DISH is going to keep saying HD bandwidth is very limited (which it is), so they need to pull programming that isn't as popular, they shouldn't then turn around and use up that bandwidth with non HD programming that isn't particularly popular.

Yes, HD programming is limited on most of these channels. But...

1)They do have SOME HD programming (except Cartoon Network)
and/or 2)They are demanded by customers and market forces
and/or 3)DISH are forced into it by the larger programming providers.

WFN doesn't fit any of those.

When there's room up there for another 100 HD channels, I really don't care what they want to put on and upconvert.

WFN doesn't fit any of those.
As I said earlier, and it's why Ergan laughs about this channel: People want HD channels, HD channels, HD channels .... and at times could care less what they are. People make jokes about "The Sleeping Channel HD" or "Watching Paint Dry Channel HD" and they don't care just as long as they're another HD channel. So Charlie and his people probably said "what's the most ridiculous HD channel available today that we can add ?" and added it. When Ergan laughed about this channel, it's probably an inside joke at Dish !!

I don't believe anything Dish says anymore personally.

I'm moving to Hawaii at year's end. This should give Dish time to launch 2 satellites and potentially cover Hawaii. Right now they only offer 5 HD channels there while DirecTV has full service. I'll stick with Dish in hopes that those birds get up and bandwidth is no longer an issue and Hawaii is covered.

If there are more problems with the launches, then there is no reason to stay with Dish.

This is really childish...

- The presence of one channel in the lineup does not crowd out other channels. There are 20 HD channel slots currently that are not Available to Dish-HD customers. Why? Because Dish does not yet have an agreement with the channel. That is the main reason for a channel not being available on Dish Network. Dish has enough bandwidth for any HD channel that will agree to a price that fits within the Dish HD Only Package constraints.

- The other aspect of this is that it is admirable forward-looking thinking by WFN to launch in an HD slot. If you liked fishing, you would appreciate that. If like soccer, and would be very happy to see Fox Soccer Channel or Setanta Sports USA Channel in an HD slot, because it would indicate that there might be some HD programming "soon".

The point...if DISH is going to keep saying HD bandwidth is very limited (which it is)

Where does this myth come from ?

Show me where Dish has ever said "HD bandwidth is very limited" (or equivalent statement).

There is no lack of bandwidth on Dish Network.

There are 20 HD channel slots currently at 129 and mirrored at 61.5, some of which have uplinked HD channels like Showtime Too and WGN superstation. Dish has way more bandwidth than it has signed HD channel contracts.

For 3-4 months, Dish uplinked two unavailable HD channels to 110 while it was negotiating to add them to customers' packages.

In a few weeks, Dish will launch a new satellite to 110, allowing them to increase banwidth there and keep ahead of bandwidth requirements.

Around the new year, Dish will launch a satellite to 129 with many spot beams and higher power, that will allow Dish1000 to provide HD Locals for most markets.

There is no lack of bandwidth on Dish Network.

Depends on how you define it. As long as there is more programming AVAILABLE to offer than there is bandwidth to carry it, there's a lack of bandwidth. DISH doesn't have enough bandwidth to offer all the HD feeds currently available.

Contracts are a different issue. We all know Charlie can dick a contract around for months to save a penny. But the fact is, if he went on a binge tomorrow, he would run out of room fast.

In a few weeks, Dish will launch a new satellite to 110, allowing them to increase banwidth there and keep ahead of bandwidth requirements.

Around the new year, Dish will launch a satellite to 129 with many spot beams and higher power, that will allow Dish1000 to provide HD Locals for most markets.

Well , the situation will be different then. As we've seen though, don't count your transponders until they're lit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.