Phillies to Start new network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wow, that would be fantastic. Comcast has a hold on Philly like Nucky Thompson had a hold on Atlantic City during Prohibition.

Sandra

It says current TV contract runs until 2015 so we've got some time before folks can start getting into a tiz of "omg is the new channel coming to _____________"?

At the very least it's a potential light at the end of the tunnel. Comcast has held the people of Philadelphia by the you-know-whats for decades. Now there is hope, even if it may take a few years.

That's more than they've had in the past.

Sandra

It says current TV contract runs until 2015 so we've got some time before folks can start getting into a tiz of "omg is the new channel coming to _____________"?

yeah right.....let the speculation and questions begin......................................now.

(that was wishful thinking though, Ice!)

not all of them were ;)

Even during the freeeviews there would be a game or two missing. No worries but at least now they're guaranteed to be on (as long as FSN SD is doing the game) :)

not all of them were ;)

Even during the freeeviews there would be a game or two missing. No worries but at least now they're guaranteed to be on (as long as FSN SD is doing the game) :)
They pretty much all were. I watched them just about every night

The bigger issue is all of the teams that plan to add their own sports networks. I see this as a big problem down the road. They will get to the point where there are simply too many RSNs for providers to carry.

Twins tried it years ago (remember Victory Sports One?)

The whole issue was they (VS1) wanted a heckuva lot of money for it (like 2.25 rings a bell......and this was back in 03) and had very little programming outside of the Twins. So dang near NOBODY picked it up
Only a couple real small cable co's (usually ones that were Telco's who competed with the big boys like Mediacom and Charter) picked it up. So the Twins got smart and went back to FS North about a month into the season

SandraC said:
Pirates can create their own network if they want to and if they can.

Sandra

They wouldn't be able to afford it, maybe if they can get the pens to join with them to help pay for it but I think they like getting the money from root sorts instead of paying someone to show their games.

Cities like NY and LA can do things like that since they have a lot of stations, small markets don't.

They wouldn't be able to afford it, maybe if they can get the pens to join with them to help pay for it but I think they like getting the money from root sorts instead of paying someone to show their games.

Cities like NY and LA can do things like that since they have a lot of stations, small markets don't.

Actually, it's not a question of how many stations there are. Both the Yankees and Mets created their own networks, they didn't use one that was already there.

No matter where you are, you can create your own network...IF there is enough demand to support it.

The Yankee and Mets did it, the Trailblazers have done it, the Lakers are currently doing it. The Indians were talking about it about five years ago...is Sportstime Ohio owned by the Indians? I'm not sure.

Other teams have tried and failed, too. As Iceberg said, the Twins tried their own network and so did the Royals.

YES has been ridiculously successful for the Yankees, but that's because the demand is there.

Sandra