Floyd Mayweather's comments trash Knicks Jeremy Lin...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
And people wonder why I dislike this idiot so much!:mad:

Floyd Mayweather Hits Jeremy Lin On Race

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:31 pm
Written by: Eric Adelson

Floyd Mayweather is not going all Lin.

The outspoken boxer who once told rival Manny Pacquiao, a Filipino, to "make some sushi rolls and cook some rice" has retained the title of heavyweight champion of insensitivity by claiming New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin is getting national attention for his race rather than his game.

"Jeremy Lin is a good player," Mayweather tweeted Monday, "but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."

Black players outscore Kobe Bryant every night? Black players who went undrafted rack up at least 20 points and seven assists in each of their first four career starts? Black players go from D-League DNPs to leading the Knicks to five straight wins?

Yes, Lin being Asian is a big part of the story. He's the first American-born player of Taiwanese or Chinese descent to play in the NBA. That's different, and therefore newsworthy. There would probably also be a lot of hype if, say, a black golfer came out of Stanford and started winning golf majors. Or if, just hypothetically, two black sisters from Compton dominated the world of tennis.

But "Money" probably never thought of that.

Mayweather's comments are ignorant, but what's also disturbing is that there really aren't too many Asian voices to shout bigotry down. Jason Whitlock should have been fired for his awful joke about Lin's anatomy, but don't look for that to happen. What Floyd said isn't nearly as bad, but clearly the half-baked theories that demean Asian-Americans in this country are not as curtailed or chided as they should be. That's in part because there haven't been too many Asian voices in sports media. There haven't been too many respected Asian coaches in the major sports. And let's face it, there haven't been too many outspoken Asian superstars anywhere in American pop culture. Pacquiao, ironically, is one of the most celebrated Asian athletes of our time.

Maybe at some point he'll have a chance to reply to Floyd with his fists.

Floyd Mayweather Hits Jeremy Lin On Race | ThePostGame

May 5th, Miguel Cotto, for the love of ALL that is Holy and the love of your fellow Puerto Rican countrymen and ALL who despises this guy... knock his ignorant a$$ out!

Not defending Mayweather, but there is some truth in what he said...

Cannot deny Lin's ethnicity is part of what has attracted so many to his story...but that's only part of it. The other parts are the D-League to NBA elite (for five games anyway) aspect, the Harvard aspect, the fact that he's playing in New York, and also the fact that he's played some amazing basketball for five games.

Whoever wrote that is correct that there is no outrage when a Mayweather says something like this...and Jason Whitlock's comments were SOOOOOOOOO much worse.

Pathetic, actually...

Sandra

Last edited:
SandraC said:
Not defending Mayweather, but there is some truth in what he said...

Cannot deny Lin's ethnicity is part of what has attracted so many to his story...but that's only part of it. The other parts are the D-League to NBA elite (for five games anyway) aspect, the Harvard aspect, the fact that he's playing in New York, and also the fact that he's played some amazing basketball for five games.

Whoever wrote that is correct that there is no outrage when a Mayweather says something like this...and Jason Whitlock's comments were SOOOOOOOOO much worse.

Pathetic, actually...

Sandra

....in no way, shape or form was Mayweather was meaning his comments to be a compliment. Yes, the appeal is Lin's ethnicity, but he is degrading his accomplishments so far. And knowing his history of comments(hence the underlined statement he made to Pacquiao when he did not agree to fight him the 1st time)....

....in no way, shape or form was Mayweather was meaning his comments to be a compliment. Yes, the appeal is Lin's ethnicity, but he is degrading his accomplishments so far. And knowing his history of comments(hence the underlined statement he made to Pacquiao when he did not agree to fight him the 1st time)....

Not disagreeing with you at all. My point is more that Jason Whitlock's comments were much worse than Mayweather's.

Sandra

Not disagreeing with you at all. My point is more that Jason Whitlock's comments were much worse than Mayweather's.

Sandra

Actually, Whitlock's comments were a TERRIBLE attempt at comedy than anything else. I follow Whitlock on Twitter and he something nice to say about Lin BEFORE his dumba$$ comments.

Actually, Whitlock's comments were a TERRIBLE attempt at comedy than anything else. I follow Whitlock on Twitter and he something nice to say about Lin BEFORE his dumba$$ comments.

Yeah, Whitlock even said that he was trying to be funny. Don Imus was trying to be racially funny too...and he was fired for it. There should have been more outrage over Whilock's comments than Mayweather's comments.

Sandra

Yeah, Whitlock even said that he was trying to be funny. Don Imus was trying to be racially funny too...and he was fired for it. There should have been more outrage over Whilock's comments than Mayweather's comments.

Sandra

No...there should not. One is making a VERY bad attempt at being a comedian...the other is NOTORIOUSLY known to be a racist and has made racist remarks in the past. The ONLY reason they do not make much of Floyd's comments are because he work for no one. He can't be fired... Whitlock CAN BE. Do I think he should be fire.... not really because Imus should not have been fired... there was ALOT more to his firing than was known to the public.

Saying only one thing off topic, if anything, IMUS should have been reprimanded and suspended...but not fired. Same thing should be handed to Whitlock.

Whitlock is a prime example of the sad state of affairs in the electronic media. Those that are not gifted journalists have to rely on shock value to attempt to keep themselves and their careers relevant. There's also the inherent pressure to sell papers or increase page hits....

Whitlock is a prime example of the sad state of affairs in the electronic media. Those that are not gifted journalists have to rely on shock value to attempt to keep themselves and their careers relevant. There's also the inherent pressure to sell papers or increase page hits....

How does his tweets have anything to do with his employer...in this case, Fox Sports.... getting more hits?

Totally agree. The only reason people are talking about Jason Whitlock is because he said something inappropriate about Jeremy Lin.

Sandra

How does his tweets have anything to do with his employer...in this case, Fox Sports.... getting more hits?

Probably because he puts links to his "work" in his tweets :eureka

@WhitlockJason
Jason Whitlock
A mobile-friendly link to my Jeremy Lin, Tweet, Tebow, Melo, Amar'e, hip hop column News Article | NBA | Fox Sports | MSN #goodtiming
13 hours ago via web

No...there should not. One is making a VERY bad attempt at being a comedian...the other is NOTORIOUSLY known to be a racist and has made racist remarks in the past. The ONLY reason they do not make much of Floyd's comments are because he work for no one. He can't be fired... Whitlock CAN BE. Do I think he should be fire.... not really because Imus should not have been fired... there was ALOT more to his firing than was known to the public.

Saying only one thing off topic, if anything, IMUS should have been reprimanded and suspended...but not fired. Same thing should be handed to Whitlock.

I not talking about Mayweather's prior comments...I'm just talking about his comment about Lin, which I did not think was that bad...certainly not as bad as Whitlock's comment.

For you, Mayweather's prior comments are a huge issue. To each his/her own.

Nobody is right and nobody is wrong here...we have different opinions, that's all.

Sandra

I don't think it's Lin being "Asian" that is causing the hype. Yao Ming was pretty sweet. It's the fact that he's a white, American born basketball player who's setting the world on fire. In New York City. I know it's not "PC" to say it, but there's a gigantic lack of white, American born guys in the league anymore. There is only ONE single team that could even hypothetically construct an entire 5 man roster of white players and that's the Lakers. No other team has more than 4 on their team. I think there's only a handful of starters in the entire league!

I don't think it's Lin being "Asian" that is causing the hype. Yao Ming was pretty sweet. It's the fact that he's a white, American born basketball player who's setting the world on fire. In New York City. I know it's not "PC" to say it, but there's a gigantic lack of white, American born guys in the league anymore. There is only ONE single team that could even hypothetically construct an entire 5 man roster of white players and that's the Lakers. No other team has more than 4 on their team. I think there's only a handful of starters in the entire league!

LOL some would say Lin isn't even white...but that's for sociologists to figure out, not a cute Jersey girl!

I do think being Asian is a huge part of it, but only because that combines with the rags to riches, Harvard to the NBA, D League to temporary NBA elite, etc., aspect of it.

Yao Ming in an of himself is not crazy. Jeremy Lin going all Tebow on us is crazy.

Sandra

I think Lin being Asian DOES add to more hype because of the lack of non-African American players in the league...and then go one step further and say he is Asian kid that attended Harvard and was literally cut if it weren't because of an injury...?! There layers upon layers of intrigue to this story....and him being Asian is a pretty go layer.

LOL some would say Lin isn't even white...but that's for sociologists to figure out, not a cute Jersey girl!

I do think being Asian is a huge part of it, but only because that combines with the rags to riches, Harvard to the NBA, D League to temporary NBA elite, etc., aspect of it.

Yao Ming in an of himself is not crazy. Jeremy Lin going all Tebow on us is crazy.

Sandra

Correct you are Jersey Girl!:up

But I think Lin's story is BETTER than Tebow's for the simple fact that Tebow is considered one of the greatest college QB ever... Lin...just another Harvard player. Lin was undrafted and has picked up by multiple teams to be a 12th guy on the bench to get cut.... Tebow, a #1 draft pick.

LOVED Spike Lee's Tweet to underwear stain Mayweather:

"Floyd Mayweather I Hope You Watched Jeremy Hit The Gamewinning 3 Pointer With .005 Seconds Left.Our Guy Can BALL PLAIN AND SIMPLE.RECOGNIZE." -- director Spike Lee

I think Lin being Asian DOES add to more hype because of the lack of non-African American players in the league...and then go one step further and say he is Asian kid that attended Harvard and was literally cut if it weren't because of an injury...?! There layers upon layers of intrigue to this story....and him being Asian is a pretty go layer.

You're right. There ARE many layers. The biggest of them being a "non-African American" as you say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts