ESPN suspends Smith for comments on abuse

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Only suspended him? Should have fired him.

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/top-news/espn-suspends-smith-for-comments-on-abuse/ngqcx/
ESPN has suspended outspoken sportscaster Stephen A. Smith for a week because of his comments about domestic abuse suggesting women should make sure that they don't do anything to provoke an attack
During the Rice discussion, Smith alluded to women in abuse cases when he said, "Let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong action ... we got to also make sure that you can do your part to do whatever you can do to make, to try to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Reactions: whitewolf8214
While I don't personally like SAS, I do find it interesting that someone whose job is to comment on the sports world is suspended for doing exactly that.
Pinning blame on victims of domestic violence is well outside the bounds of sports commentary. It's a suggestion that perpetuates stereotypes. It doesn't help that many victims of domestic violence have such low self-esteem that many believe they deserve to be treated the way they are. He's paid to be opinionated and talk out of his ass about sports, he should have realized that other topics need to be taken much more seriously.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: salsadancer7
Why he was suspended, and why he should have been fired, was because his comments reflect the views of the company he is representing, ESPN.

And if he's supposed to be able to make those comments, then why was Limbaugh fired (from the same network) for his comments and this guy only suspended for a week.

Pinning blame on victims of domestic violence is well outside the bounds of sports commentary.
I don't think that's what he was doing but he should've known better being part of the media. On that subject I will not say anything else. I do agree that ESPN or any other sports related program isn't the best place to discuss the topic of domestic violence. Domestic violence no matter the sex of the victim is a terrible thing, but when I watch ESPN it be great if they stuck to debating sports.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I don't like the guy at all. He shouldn't have said what he did, but I do agree with what he said. Rice should have had personal control and not hit her, but how can you expect to hit someone and not get hit back regardless of who it is.

Pinning blame on victims of domestic violence is well outside the bounds of sports commentary. It's a suggestion that perpetuates stereotypes. It doesn't help that many victims of domestic violence have such low self-esteem that many believe they deserve to be treated the way they are. He's paid to be opinionated and talk out of his ass about sports, he should have realized that other topics need to be taken much more seriously.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Again, I don't agree with what Smith said. What I'm referring to is that ESPN hired him for the controversial commentary he delivers, but when it gets too controversial, he gets in "trouble".

Smith has commented on this topic before, even using the "P" word. Back in 2012, he and Bayless were discussing the Chad Johnson / Evelyn Lozada split, and he said this:

“There are plenty of instances where provocation comes into consideration, instigation comes into consideration, and I will be on the record right here on national television and say that I am sick and tired of men constantly being vilified and accused of things and we stop there,” Smith said. “I’m saying, “Can we go a step further?” Since we want to dig all deeper into Chad Johnson, can we dig in deep to her?”

That instance kinda flew under the radar, no one seemed to notice. Probably what got people to notice this time was ESPN's own Michelle Beadle commenting on Twitter about it.

I would have no problem with ESPN firing Smith, but then ESPN better take a long hard look at programming like FirstTake and other commentators whose job is to be controversial. If you're going to stray into social issues such as this, be prepared for the backlash....

This has more to do with ratings then what SS said. Am not a fan...but he's paid to speak his mind. Had he offended the Russians or Israel it wouldn't even have been discussed.

ESPN feared a female viewer backlash, since they've been trying to cut into this demographic..they didnt have a choice but to suspend him.

I was listening to Mad Dog Sports Radio on SiriusXM for an extended period during a road trip Monday. I basically heard the entire broadcast of the Chris Russo's Mad Dog Unleashed program Monday evening. According to him Stephen A. Smith is leaving ESPN Radio and moving to Mad Dog Sports Radio. They said they were going to drop the Dan Patrick morning show because it is available on so many platforms and shuffle the rest of their daily schedule around so Stephen A. Smith can keep his normal afternoon time slot.

It will be interesting to hear how a guy who normally only talks about the NBA handles a talk show focused on all major sports. I normally only listen before and after work while driving so I likely will never hear his show anyways.

Again, it seems we in this nation have become a bunch of wusses because we are offended so easily. SAS was hired to give his opinion. First Take even advertises that is it a show for those who debate. Now, ESPN is shocked that SAS gave an opinion that people might not agree with? We have allowed the PC police to much power into the lives and livelihood of those who are not only paid to give opinions but into everyday American's who give their opinion. What SAS said is stupid, but so what? Let him be ridiculed and if enough people were "offended" they will quit watching, then the rating will drop, and things will work themselves out. I love sports but I have almost quit watching everything except the game itself because of this PC thinking. I have almost quit listening to ESPN radio and Fox Sports radio because all I heard for week's was about Sterling (another victim of the thought police) and Michael Sam. Who cares. I want to know if the Falcons will bounce back and will matt Ryan have a good year. I want to know some MLB trade gossip. I want to know where Kevin Love might end up. Sports was always an escape to a large degree from the world but it is now just another Hollywood entertainment piece that seems more interested in pleasing people who could care less about the games than pleasing the fan's who watch and buy their overpriced merchandise.

Again, it seems we in this nation have become a bunch of wusses because we are offended so easily. SAS was hired to give his opinion. First Take even advertises that is it a show for those who debate. Now, ESPN is shocked that SAS gave an opinion that people might not agree with? We have allowed the PC police to much power into the lives and livelihood of those who are not only paid to give opinions but into everyday American's who give their opinion. What SAS said is stupid, but so what? Let him be ridiculed and if enough people were "offended" they will quit watching, then the rating will drop, and things will work themselves out. I love sports but I have almost quit watching everything except the game itself because of this PC thinking. I have almost quit listening to ESPN radio and Fox Sports radio because all I heard for week's was about Sterling (another victim of the thought police) and Michael Sam. Who cares. I want to know if the Falcons will bounce back and will matt Ryan have a good year. I want to know some MLB trade gossip. I want to know where Kevin Love might end up. Sports was always an escape to a large degree from the world but it is now just another Hollywood entertainment piece that seems more interested in pleasing people who could care less about the games than pleasing the fan's who watch and buy their overpriced merchandise.

ESPN is in the business of ratings. Their executives are paid to make decisions that will keep the ratings high not to wait until they drop and then do something about it. Not only that but advertisers are skittish. Look how quickly Tiger Woods' sponsors dropped him when he had his scandal.

This isn't ESPN being politically correct just for the sake of being politically correct. Stephen A. Smith can say anything he wants in his personal life or his own websites and other outlets. He can say whatever he wants but ESPN can also choose to run their business the way they want to. When he says it on ESPN's airwaves he is representing them though. If they feel like his comments will negatively impact their ratings or cost them sponsors who no longer want to be associated with him they will absolutely take action.

This has more to do with ratings then what SS said. Am not a fan...but he's paid to speak his mind. Had he offended the Russians or Israel it wouldn't even have been discussed.

ESPN feared a female viewer backlash, since they've been trying to cut into this demographic..they didnt have a choice but to suspend him.

I disagree. I think if the comments he makes are more sports related, there is no issue. But because the comments were based on something as serious as domestic violence, something he CANNOT state as being some kind...ANY KIND of seasoned expert. I think when commentators start commenting on sports related issues on a sports show....they get into a little trouble.

Reactions: Rey
I understand his point except it shouldve been worded better. Yet, some media personalities have said worse in the past and nothing happened...
Am standing by that had ESPN done nothing, they feared a female viewer revolt.... Am I going to stop watching a channel b/c one guy said something to offend me? come on! Heck Don Cherry practically offends half the country every saturday night and people still tune in.

Reactions: salsadancer7
Don't care who ESPN might have feared or whatever reason. if you hire a person to give opinion, why be so quick with a "punishment"? If what he says "offends" whomever, why even keep him on ESPN? He will say something to "offend" someone down the road. If you are that worried about "offending" people, why hire any opinion givers for any program to begin with? If these people don't give an opinion, what will drive viewers/listeners to their show? Not only that but their bosses want them to push the envelope and to be provocative. It drives ratings they say. I think ESPN is led by a bunch of cowards who gave intro people who never even watch ESPN or follow sports. I am convinced it is a small minority that is driving not only this specific situation but most situations when someone is "offended". But again, what really bothers me is that in this nation, where freedom of speech (yeah I know they mean the govt. restricting) is a cornerstone, is that we have a nation of people who are offended so easily and that is their way of stopping speech they disagree with. Can't stop it with ideas, so they scream they are offended, threaten to contact the advertisers, and threaten the network or whomever until they capitulate. When will we grow tired of this game and say enough is enough?

Don't care who ESPN might have feared or whatever reason. if you hire a person to give opinion, why be so quick with a "punishment"? If what he says "offends" whomever, why even keep him on ESPN? He will say something to "offend" someone down the road. If you are that worried about "offending" people, why hire any opinion givers for any program to begin with? If these people don't give an opinion, what will drive viewers/listeners to their show? Not only that but their bosses want them to push the envelope and to be provocative. It drives ratings they say. I think ESPN is led by a bunch of cowards who gave intro people who never even watch ESPN or follow sports. I am convinced it is a small minority that is driving not only this specific situation but most situations when someone is "offended". But again, what really bothers me is that in this nation, where freedom of speech (yeah I know they mean the govt. restricting) is a cornerstone, is that we have a nation of people who are offended so easily and that is their way of stopping speech they disagree with. Can't stop it with ideas, so they scream they are offended, threaten to contact the advertisers, and threaten the network or whomever until they capitulate. When will we grow tired of this game and say enough is enough?

Blaming the victim in domestic abuse or rape cases is shaky ground. There are thousands of battered women to scared to come forward out of fear of what might happen to them if they do. You keep putting the quotation marks around the word offended like people who are offended by this are wrong for feeling that way.

I have actually seen the video a few times and I think Smith's heart was in the right place. He was actually speaking out against Ray Rice and other people who beat their wives and saying they should be in jail. He then took it a step to far when he said women need to do their part too and not provoke their man to attack them.

That's where he messed up. A man shouldn't have to resort to knocking out his wife because she said something he didn't like. Women should be able to have their say in an argument without the threat of being beaten unconscious. He should be smart enough to handle it with words or simply leave the situation if there is no working it out. If your response to someone (man or woman) who says something you don't like is to physically attack them you are an animal who belongs in jail. You have to be smarter than that.

Ray Rice is an NFL professional athlete. Him attacking his fiance would be about the same thing as me knocking out a first grader. There is absolutely no defense for that.

Like I said, I think Smith's heart was in the right place. Unfortunately he made a perfect soundbite for women's groups when he said they shouldn't provoke their man to violence. He overstepped the bounds of what he was hired to discuss(sports) and made an unfortunate comment.

Here is his apology video for anyone interested.

First Take in general is a garbage product. There really is no sports insight, it is just "The View" of sports talk. Sure it brings in ratings but there really is nothing of substance in the show. When the main purpose is to say shocking comments ESPN needs to rethink the shows purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)