Gumble's grumble about LaRussa's HoF induction

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I have no stance on this. I though it might be interesting to hear what you all think on the subject:

Bryant Gumble's final words on "Real Sports" HBO 7/22/14

"Finally tonight, a few words about fame and shame and how they are both being blurred in Cooperstown. Cooperstown is, of course, the New York home of Baseball's Hall of Fame and where this year's inductees on this coming Saturday will include Tony LaRussa.

"LaRussa is being honored for guiding teams he managed to 2728 wins, a total that ranks third in baseball history. But here's the rub: about 43% of all of those wins were recorded when LaRussa was managing Mark McGwire, and winning because of his prodigious power. That's the same Mark McGwire who has been denied inclusion in the Hall because voters believe that prodigious power owed a great deal to steroids. Which to me begs a question: by what logic can the guardians of the Hall vilify McGwire for his pharmaceutically assisted feats yet glorify LaRussa who benefited most from those same feats? ...and who, by the way, conveniently played dumb while his slugger morphed into the Incredible Hulk.

"Look, I've nothing against Tony LaRussa, nor [do I have] great admiration for Mark McGwire, but its hard to understand how the Hall can shame one and fame the other when their achievements are so interdependent. I mean, if LaRussa truly deserves induction into the Hall, how do you not make room for the guy who got him there?"

I see your point ...

That said, and this will probably sway the original question, however, When McGuire was doing the Andro that he was accused of ... Andro was NOT a Banned substance in baseball.

Yes, its a drug, but not something they banned, therefore if this is the case as to why McGuire is being kept out, its hogwash.

That said, I don't consider McGuire to be a HOF candidate anyways.

He was a below avg hitter, a below avg. fielder that could hit HR's, thats it.

Now... was it fun to watch him during his time ... Yes.
That doesn't make him a HOF'er

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I also see Gumble's point and it is a fair question to ask. In my opinion, all these players who took those drugs and have these close to record numbers or some above, actually would have probably been HOF'ers without them.

I've held the same opinion for years. A similar argument could be made against Torre, too, and I'm a Yankee fan.

The Yankees won the majority of their rings before A-Rod or or Giambi got there. 96 was purely a farm team win. So I think it is deserved for Torre. Plus he was a good player.

All discussions of HOF unfairness begin and end with Peter Edward Rose.

McGwire is a cheat and a liar. Like Bonds, Sosa, A-Fraud, etc. I have no way of knowing what they would have acomplished honestly. I say journeyman guys that hit a lot of fly outs. Prove me wrong. But I KNOW that, honestly, Rose had more hits than anyone. Yet punished for placing a few bets with an undocumented sports book.

In another year, the least qualified person to hold an important job in North American, Bud "Light" (Kennesaw Molehill) Selig will be gone.

That will be a great day.

McGwire is a cheat and a liar. Like Bonds, Sosa, A-Fraud, etc. I have no way of knowing what they would have acomplished honestly. I say journeyman guys that hit a lot of fly outs. Prove me wrong. But I KNOW that, honestly, Rose had more hits than anyone. Yet punished for placing a few bets with an undocumented sports book.

In another year, the least qualified person to hold an important job in North American, Bud "Light" (Kennesaw Molehill) Selig will be gone.

I couldn't agree more. He is as responsible for the steroid era as those that took them. His tacit approval of their use is a major factor.

I do think Pete Rose gets into the HOF, but not for a while. I don't think MLB wants him anywhere near the game. He still wants to manage and they don't want to take that chance. When Rose is older he will get in. As for Selig, he is a major reason we have the steroid era. He was there applauding Sosa and McGwire. He can't denounce steroids after the fact.

Rose will not get in to the HOF while he is alive. One good thing, though. Rose will be allowed to take part in the All Star Game festivities here at Great American Ballpark next year.

Reactions: Annie61
Rose will not get in to the HOF while he is alive. One good thing, though. Rose will be allowed to take part in the All Star Game festivities here at Great American Ballpark next year.
I think Rose gets in before he dies. But he will most likely be in a wheelchair when it happens.

I do think Pete Rose gets into the HOF, but not for a while. I don't think MLB wants him anywhere near the game. He still wants to manage and they don't want to take that chance. When Rose is older he will get in. As for Selig, he is a major reason we have the steroid era. He was there applauding Sosa and McGwire. He can't denounce steroids after the fact.
Not for awhile ?

It's been what 25 years now ?

Sadly, your probably right.

Glad to see him allowed to take part in the ASG festivities .... Selig will be gone by then ?
That says a ton as to why Rose will be allowed.

Maybe Sosa...but not Bonds and A-Rod. Both were a great player before the PEDs. HOFers without PEDs? Maybe, maybe not. We will never know.

Reactions: raoul5788
He should not have to wait to get in the HOF.
Had Rose admitted it years ago when they gave him the chance he would be in the hall now. His ego denied it when they had him dead to rights. That is why he is banned and remains so. The only reason he finally came clean was because he needed money. Yes he was a great player but he is no saint.

Had Rose admitted it years ago when they gave him the chance he would be in the hall now. His ego denied it when they had him dead to rights. That is why he is banned and remains so. The only reason he finally came clean was because he needed money. Yes he was a great player but he is no saint.
No, the reason he's not in is because the last several Commissioners trying to show thier POWER .... They have both been useless.

Reactions: Annie61