NCAA board ‘overwhelmingly’ approves Power Five autonomy

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Why Notre Dame ?

If they want to be part of this in Football, they should JOIN a conference. PERIOD.

So sick of them getting everything handed to them.

For a school that hasn't been relevant is 20 years, they sure get alot of perks.

And just like that, what was college football became something else entirely.
I am not happy about this at all.
Bacically instead of NCAA College Football, you now have the "Big 5 College Football".

I don't think this is gonna change the way you watch your football.

UNLESS they say that YES we will be paying our players.

IF that happens then we have the "Big 5 Semi Pro League".

And mid majors? I am sorry, if you were not fortunate enough to make the jump over the last round of conference bumper cars, you just became irrelevant.

Lord knows Southern Miss has done enough to kill their program over the last two years, but this will probably be the end of their (and many like them) experiment in division 1 football.

I don't see the smaller schools fading away. There is still plenty of interest to watch them but they'll have to be on different nights like they already are. I love being able to watch a football game every night of the week.

And mid majors? I am sorry, if you were not fortunate enough to make the jump over the last round of conference bumper cars, you just became irrelevant.

Lord knows Southern Miss has done enough to kill their program over the last two years, but this will probably be the end of their (and many like them) experiment in division 1 football.
Which is part of the reason I find the constant changing of teams in different conferences so disturbing.
Hell, we've had teams change 2 conferences without even playing a game, thats ridiculous.

This deal of conferences going to 14 and 16 and then even more teams is a really BAD thing, particularly for the lesser teams and mid majors.

Reactions: osu1991
They are getting so big, some players will eventually go their entire career without the chance to play and visit all the teams in their conference

Personally I liked it at 12. I can deal with 14 with scheduling tweaks that preserve the rivalries, but 12 was preferable.

More, or even less, in my opinion is an inferior model. I know, I know, with fewer teams you get to play everyone, Yada Yada Yada. Still think 12 with a champ game is better.

I don't see the smaller schools fading away. There is still plenty of interest to watch them but they'll have to be on different nights like they already are. I love being able to watch a football game every night of the week.
Fade away? Nah.

Become more irrelevant? You betcha.

Not only will the games they play against bigger schools most likely be reduced, but the fence rider upper tier athletes that would stay close to home because of those games, or that would take the challenge to build something at one of them will now most likely go elsewhere. And why wouldn't they?

You can sell a mid major to a stud (or some) with the possibility to play at Bryant Denney or the big house.

Much harder sell to play down the road at crumbling legion field against UAB. Or (insert directional Michigan school).

I don't see this as good for anyone.

We will have to see what these "Rules" actually are.
That's true.

Perhaps nothing big changes.
Simply making predictions based on my gut feeling.

Lord knows anyone that looked could see it coming for years.

It remains to be seen how this might shake out but I understand why some wanted this to happen. In theory, at least, they will be able to do things such as meals for athletes attached to the scholarships, that it takes the NCAA month's to even discuss. I do think if they ever try and use this to pay the scholarship athlete's it will doom college athletics forever.

Meals? the scholarships already cover 3 meals/day.

What's going to hurt a lot of the schools is if they try to increase the amounts given to the athletes, as Title IX is going to come into play, and bankrupt the smaller schools.

Reactions: osu1991
And my friends wonder why I don't watch college sports anymore. The system has gotten so rigged and screwed up that the big schools that have the money to be a part of the big conferences get all the recognition while the smaller schools that might have good teams get left out. It's not a fair and even playing field that just keeps getting worse and worse. Frankly I'm starting to see the NCAA become more irrelevant and having the big 5 conferences rule all college sports.

The O'bannon ruling will have more effect on college sports than autonomy will.

I don't think any of this would've happened, but kids aren't dumb. What other sport does a player make less than 75k(room, books, board and meal plan) and the coach makes 4,5,6 and even 7 million. So the university's have no one to blame but themselves for h giving out these ridiculous coaching contracts.

If you're paying your coach like a professional than you're a professional organization.

A kid making 10k extra to play college sports is not going to diminish my fandom at all.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Don in CT

ESPN suspends Smith for comments on abuse

Metta World Peace is changing name to The Panda's Friend.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts