Philly 6ABC OTA

WGFA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
PA
I'm having trouble scanning in "can not recieve at all" 6abc (ie 6.1, 6.2,) in Philly. I have had this problem since the summer when they did the switch over from ant to digital.
Anyone else here have that problem? Anyone here know why this is?
I am only 15 mi from the tranmitter but cant get it. I get all the other channels in Philly that r OTA.
TIA

It bothers me that TVFool.com doesn't list the virtual channels for ABC6. I assume it's transmitting on RF ch6. If this is the case, I assume you have an antenna that's designed for VHF-Lo (ch2-6) frequencies? Is it an outdoor antenna? Are you sure that the long elements aren't damaged? How long has the antenna been installed? Any chance the matching transformer (balun) is bad?

I'm just spitballing here. If I could pick up your ABC6 from Kansas City, I'd tell you all about it. ;)

I started getting WPVI about a month ago after scanning for the last 6 months, and I'm over 100 miles away ! I can get 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 great now. What I don't get is I cannot get KYW-3 at all even though their antennas are in the same location in Roxborough.

Was this a well thought out conscious decision by 6ABC to stay with channel 6 for their digital transmission or just a screw-up? They must have had some idea of the potential reception problems.

I use to be able to pick-up their digital signal in the Lehigh Valley before the switch but not now.

I'm lucky to be able to pick-up the ABC affliliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (channel 16) OTA.

Thanks guys for the info. I have a channel master 4220. I am no more that 15 mi from them and can not get the damm reception. Maybe it is the fm interference. Who knows but its all BS!!

Looks like they were on digital 64 before the conversion then for some odd (ie: stupid) reason they went back to analog 6.

VHF lo is not the best choice....wiki has some info

WPVI-DT currently broadcasts on VHF channel 6. Because of the nature of VHF-LO frequencies, WPVI-DT will be difficult to tune without an outdoor VHF/UHF antenna. A temporary power increase to 30 kilowatts was granted, with WEDY in New Haven, Connecticut and WRGB in Schenectady, New York having to give their consent. Some viewers did notice an improvement in their signal.[2] Because of potential interference to other stations and to FM radio, there was doubt as to whether this increase could be granted.[3]

Well I scaned again and they showed up today, but they fade in and out. I get a 55 signal strength. Like I said earlier I am no more than 15 miles southwest from them. Does this sound right on the strength? Is my cm4220 the wrong antenna for them? The antenna is about 5-6 years old. What antenna do guys recommend? Do I need a FM filter? :confused:
TIA

Dingdingding. That antenna isn't designed for VHF at all, let alone VHF-Lo. Get an Antennacraft Y5-2-6 and a UVSJ, put it on the same mast as the 4220 but 3' higher, and you'll be fine. Or get a combo antenna, like an Antennacraft HD850 (which is a VHF/UHF combo) and take the 4220 down. I'd rather see you do the first, though.

On second thought, ch6 is so close to FM space, you may be just as well getting an actual FM antenna, like a Winegard HD6000 (half the cost and and size of the Y5-2-6), the UVSJ, and cross your fingers.

Last edited:
Get an Antennacraft Y5-2-6 and a UVSJ, put it on the same mast as the 4220 but 3' higher, and you'll be fine.

Those suggestions will work very well, but also consider an Antennacraft CS600. It's a bit cheaper and will do better with WHYY on channel 12 than the Y5-2-6.

And yes, WPVI is actually running 30.2 KW.

Last edited:
Indeed, especially on the ch12 part. At 15 miles, the 4220 should be okay with ch12, but the CS600 will do better. I just like cute little antennas, and the CS600 is neither cute nor little. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try the Antennacraft CS600. Do they sell this antenna locally, PA or DE? I just see it online. TIA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)