Status
Please reply by conversation.

swartzfeger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi all,

I'm an E* subscriber that can't get my Phoenix OTA because I'm 40 miles out and blocked by mountains. I remember hearing that Phoenix was due sometime after Boston, possibly in January.

Has anyone heard any definitive dates for the mpeg 4 rollout in the Phoenix metro area?

Thanks!

I'm in Phoenix metro area and I've pressed D* a few times to quote me a date -- the firmest I received was an 'off-the-record' date from a D* tech of 3/1. I'm skeptical. To be honest, the fact that most network shows are on hiatus until February doesn't leave much reason to pine away for the upgrade. NFL is the only significant content to watch until they rollout in March. Most Suns & Coyotes games are on Fox Sports which has only been sent in HD 2 times by my count on ch 94-97.

The next thing I see in the cable vs. D* war is the extended digital channels (12.2 for example) which will start up on CoxCable and OTA on 12/29. D* has shown no indications of adding it. I was holding out so I wouldn't have to drop a hundred on an OTA antenna but I may buy one anyway if all the stations start doing this.
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/newsreleases/articles/wxplus12142005-CR-CP.html

They finally activated the Flagstaff channels and AZTV (4, 6 and 7) on or around midnight on 12/28. Too bad that 2 of the 3 are worthless.

Last edited:
Phoenix will be in the next group that was listed as "early 06" which generally means 1Q 2006 (1/1/06 - 3/31/06) but until SW2 is in DirecTV control don't hold this as in stone.

It'a not particularly relevant, but 12-2 has been up for quite a while now :). They are just officially launching the channel now. I e-mailed Channel twelve about the channel and got the following response from Bill Kelly:

The 12-2 channel will eventually be our all-weather channel (NBC Weather Plus). This way, you will be able to get the forecast whenever you like.

This was back in late October.

Do we really need to have that here? The weather is always the same; sunny - mostly sunny, warm to hot, perfect weather 320 - 340 days per year. AND it doesn't change at the drop of a hat like other volatile areas. What a waste of a channel. Has that general mgr even been in Phoenix more than 30 mins to realize this? I wouldn't give up my East Valley weather for ANYTHING, not even a power ball win.

Amen. I always laugh at why anyone spends time on weather related to Phoenix. XM ch 224 always gives about 20 secs and moves on - "It's sunny with 70+ temps, now your traffic alerts ...."

Come on guys, don't you just love the summer monsoon? When those big ol' cumulo-nimbus clouds pile up above the Rim and come screaming into the valley around sunset? And what can be more fun than gathering the kids and grandma around the swamp cooler and watching a dust storm? Good times. That's what memories are made of.

Daz, you're so right about those new Flagstaff channels. What total dreck. I hope D* wasn't thinking they're doing us a favor by putting those out there, I could live a reasonably happy and fulfilled life without them. I realize it's not D*'s fault, but Jeez Louise, there's enough crap on the airwaves here.

I'm not anticipating our MPEG4 upgrade till March or April.

Bunnyman said:
Come on guys, don't you just love the summer monsoon? When those big ol' cumulo-nimbus clouds pile up above the Rim and come screaming into the valley around sunset? And what can be more fun than gathering the kids and grandma around the swamp cooler and watching a dust storm? Good times. That's what memories are made of.
Daz, you're so right about those new Flagstaff channels. What total dreck. I hope D* wasn't thinking they're doing us a favor by putting those out there, I could live a reasonably happy and fulfilled life without them. I realize it's not D*'s fault, but Jeez Louise, there's enough crap on the airwaves here.
I'm not anticipating our MPEG4 upgrade till March or April.

I like them (monsoon/dust storms) because they are very unique to the CONUS, but they only happen 5 - 7 times per year average and have been getting weaker and weaker since 1989. BUT notice I left a good 25 days for typical US weather conditions and clouds, minus SNOW and FREEZING COLD (as does the chamber of commerce) LOL.

Last edited:
Its funny about the weather channel, since Channel 15's trying to get one up and running also. Just what I wanted for xmas... 5 weather channels for Phx saying its sunny and warm.

On a side note - I had emailed ABC15 the other day - and had also asked if they were uplinking yet - and I haven't heard a response yet, so I will let people know if they are uplinking.

Status
Please reply by conversation.