Phoenix HD Channels on DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharaya

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
My HR-20 shows both the SD and HD channels for the Phoenix DMA, and we seem to be getting them all just fine.

I spent some time at lyngsat trying to find what satellite the Phoenix HD channels are coming from. I can't find them, and I've looked twice. Either I'm just plain missing them or they are not posted right now.

I was told by DTV that I had to have the Slimline dish to receive them, but the installer said they are not on 99 or 103. Does anyone know where they are coming from? I assumed they were on 101 with everything else, but I guess I'm wrong...

Yes PHX DMA SD is located on 101.0°w (core satellite) and the PHX MPEG4 WILL require a 5LNB dish; but not specifically the SlimLine version. If your local installer has any of the "old style" non-SlimLine, you may very well get one. I would also recommend connecting a quality OTA antenna to your unit and correctly aim it at the proper heading (likely toward South Mtn.); where are you in the Valley? I am in Gilbert.

We had the Slimline installed. A much more asthetically-pleasing "thing" on the outside of the house, at least according to Mrs. Sharaya. The installer had to come out today and put a second monopole support on the dish. I guess 50+ MPH winds can be a bad thing with this monster dish.

We are in the Snowflake-Taylor area, so OTA is nonexistent. We might pull in one Grade-B analog station at night, and that's from Flagstaff if we're lucky. This is satellite territory, without exception.

NBC-12 is absolutely gorgeous in HD. The PGA tournament this weekend was... :bow

My HR-20 shows both the SD and HD channels for the Phoenix DMA, and we seem to be getting them all just fine.

I spent some time at lyngsat trying to find what satellite the Phoenix HD channels are coming from. I can't find them, and I've looked twice. Either I'm just plain missing them or they are not posted right now.

I was told by DTV that I had to have the Slimline dish to receive them, but the installer said they are not on 99 or 103. Does anyone know where they are coming from? I assumed they were on 101 with everything else, but I guess I'm wrong...

Phoenix HD locals are on the 103 satellite, you can only receive them if you have a 5-lnb dish.
Check the signal strength level for the 103 transponders, you should see at least one transponder on 103 with a 95+ signal strength. Any other 103 transponders you might see, or anything you can see on 99 (you may see nothing) are spotbeams pointed at other cities.

The installer should always use two monopoles unless it's an installation on a ground pole. It's the only way to guarantee that the dish won't move in strong winds.

wrong there off of the 99* satellite at 98% not the 103*this was before the software downloaded to the H20 back in 01/01/06

Either way, the OP was under the original impression that he/she did not need a 5LNB dish, which they now know that they do. and LOL........ since both locations are covered with the 5LNB dish, it really doesn't matter too much where they are located. IMHO.

Either way, the OP was under the original impression that he/she did not need a 5LNB dish, which they now know that they do. and LOL........ since both locations are covered with the 5LNB dish, it really doesn't matter too much where they are located. IMHO.

I'm confused because he says he HAS the slimline installed, seemed to be looking for guidance as to which sat his locals were on so he could check the signals...or am I just COMPLETELY confused ?(not for the first time, I am sure it won't be the last!!!!).

Hell, TB, maybe I misunderstood/or misread it. I was reading this line and it just sounded like they had no 5LNB dish yet because they assumed they didn't need it. I think the installer not knowing his job has the OP confused.

Hell, TB, maybe I misunderstood/or misread it. I was reading this line and it just sounded like they had no 5LNB dish yet because they assumed they didn't need it. I think the installer not knowing his job has the OP confused.

Yes. I agree. very confusing. Well it seems that the OP has his HD locals working so that's OK!!

You're right. That wasn't very clear. Let me try again....

DTV tells me I need a 5-LNB dish. Whatever. Send the stuff and get it installed. I just want HDTV from Phoenix. If you want to put a 9-LNB dish on the house, cheers to 9 LNBs! If the installer leaves and I don't have Phoenix HD, he dies.

Installer shows up. Installer tells me I'm getting a Slimline dish. Slimline dish has 5 LNBs. HR20 picks up Phoenix HD channels very nicely. Satisified customer. Oh, by the way, what satellite do those Phoenix HDs beam from? Installer says, 101 W. I say, why did you put a 5 LNB dish on my house, wouldn't the oval dish work fine? Installer says, negative, ghostrider, HR20 must be connected to 5 LNB dish to receive HD programming in Arizona.

Customer scratches his head. Customer consults lyngsat because customer is curious, customer has no real life outside of home, and customer thought he remembered reading that Phoenix HD channels are on 103 W. Installer repeated at least seven times that DTV is not utilizing the 99 W satellite at this time. Customer is very confused by this also.

Customer offers old DiSH 300 LNB for sacrifice, hoping to appease lyngsat gods. Lyngsat gods advise customer that yes, 99 W is broadcasting signals HD signals for DirecTV. Lyngsat gods forgive customer for verifying this information with pagans at wikipedia.

Customer now scratching other parts of body. Customer thought he read a posting somewhere that DTV 9S at 101 W was broadcasting Phoenix HD. Customer so confused that customer gives up and consumes Bacardi Silver for the remainder of evening.

You're right. That wasn't very clear. Let me try again....

DTV tells me I need a 5-LNB dish. Whatever. Send the stuff and get it installed. I just want HDTV from Phoenix. If you want to put a 9-LNB dish on the house, cheers to 9 LNBs! If the installer leaves and I don't have Phoenix HD, he dies.

Installer shows up. Installer tells me I'm getting a Slimline dish. Slimline dish has 5 LNBs. HR20 picks up Phoenix HD channels very nicely. Satisified customer. Oh, by the way, what satellite do those Phoenix HDs beam from? Installer says, 101 W. I say, why did you put a 5 LNB dish on my house, wouldn't the oval dish work fine? Installer says, negative, ghostrider, HR20 must be connected to 5 LNB dish to receive HD programming in Arizona.

Customer scratches his head. Customer consults lyngsat because customer is curious, customer has no real life outside of home, and customer thought he remembered reading that Phoenix HD channels are on 103 W. Installer repeated at least seven times that DTV is not utilizing the 99 W satellite at this time. Customer is very confused by this also.

Customer offers old DiSH 300 LNB for sacrifice, hoping to appease lyngsat gods. Lyngsat gods advise customer that yes, 99 W is broadcasting signals HD signals for DirecTV. Lyngsat gods forgive customer for verifying this information with pagans at wikipedia.

Customer now scratching other parts of body. Customer thought he read a posting somewhere that DTV 9S at 101 W was broadcasting Phoenix HD. Customer so confused that customer gives up and consumes Bacardi Silver for the remainder of evening.

Then after much consumption of Bacardi Silver customer posts on satellite guys forum. Offers bottle of Bacardi Silver to anyone who can help him sort this out (NOT!!)

Good that everything is working anyway. You should see 90-95+ on the Phoenix transponder(s) on 103....

Last edited:
That was a great recap Sharaya! The guy who installed my system wasn't up to date on D* technology. He told me that OTA wasn't active yet and wasn't too familiar with the HR20. The installation was great. Clean and professional looking. The info from the installer was simply not there. You have found the right place to get correct info. Are you over the hangover yet?

(Hiccup) Mphfff.

It's all good at House of Sharaya. Phoenix HDs look good and sound good. I checked the 103 W when I got home (natural curiosity, it will wear off in a few days, I hope) and T6 was reading 97.

Only one real problem, though. Refrigerator is empty.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)