Phoenix Meredith stations dispute?

IMHO adding some kind of kludge OTA one size fits all antenna wouldn't help much if at all. A lot of people get satellite TV because they can't get the locals with an antenna. Also, Genies and Hoppers can't diplex OTA signals.
MOST people get satellite TV because of the convenience factor. In other words, most people could receive OTA if they wanted to.

The real solution would be for congress to do what's right and stop all the protections they have sold to the National Association of Broadcasters. If Dish, DirecTV or the cable company were allowed to substitute a distant local for the one out during a dispute the extortion would be over. These local channel disputes would end immediately.
Why do people keep forgetting there are also contract issues with shows? When a station pays for Jeopardy!, they get an exclusive agreement to be the only station in that market showing Jeopardy!

MOST people get satellite TV because of the convenience factor. In other words, most people could receive OTA if they wanted to.

If that were the case they would get Cable. No cable? Higher chance no OTA either.

I think it more likely that MOST people get satellite or cable for the programming that's not available OTA. The lesser number would be those that can't get OTA by reasonable means. That the locals are available by sat or cable is a convenience for all subscribers that want them of course.

Why do people keep forgetting there are also contract issues with shows? When a station pays for Jeopardy!, they get an exclusive agreement to be the only station in that market showing Jeopardy!
As one currently in a dual DMA area that's relatively free of retrans issues, yes, there is syndicated programming that could be an issue when bringing in a distant local during a dispute, but that could be handled by legislation. The distant local would likely have to agree to be brought into the "foreign" market, but the temporarily expanded viewership and additional retrans fees could be an inducement.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I posted on the local station that is bitching on on Facebook about being removed on how to watch their channel on your DISH equipment for free. :)

People are jumping all over the station for working to raise the amount they pay to DISH to watch what is a free TV channel. I love it.

My Facebook replies to their being upset of being removed from DISH seems to have upset them, as the "TOP FAN" badge for their Facebook Page I had has been removed. Lol.

Reactions: NYDutch
This is starting to really suck! Our local FOX affiliate has been off DISH since March 20. I wonder what the hell is going to happen when football season starts. :(
Our Albany, NY DMA Fox outlet has been off since then as well. Our Burlington, VT DMA Fox station is still on though. Is your Fox station owned by Shield Media?

Reactions: JSheridan
That is not the case around here at all.
And where is your population center vs where the transmitters are? If you look across the country (or probably in a single DMA), most people will live within range of the transmitters.

If that were the case they would get Cable. No cable? Higher chance no OTA either.
No. Satellite was/is a competitor to cable. Are there people who's only option is sat? Of course. But they're far in the minority.

I think it more likely that MOST people get satellite or cable for the programming that's not available OTA. The lesser number would be those that can't get OTA by reasonable means. That the locals are available by sat or cable is a convenience for all subscribers that want them of course.
True.

As one currently in a dual DMA area that's relatively free of retrans issues, yes, there is syndicated programming that could be an issue when bringing in a distant local during a dispute, but that could be handled by legislation. The distant local would likely have to agree to be brought into the "foreign" market, but the temporarily expanded viewership and additional retrans fees could be an inducement.
You're assuming the channel in dispute has the same programming as the distant local brought in. That may not be the case. Let's say CBS is in city Y is blacked out. So Dish brings in the Distant CBS from city Z. BUT, the NBC in Y has Jeopardy!, as does CBS from city Z. If I'm the NBC in Y, I want the eyes on Jeopardy! and would complain. After all, I have exclusive rights to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)