Phoenix Model Market Launches Next Gen TV Broadcasts

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Phoenix Model Market Launches Next Gen TV Broadcasts

PHOENIX--While broadcasters have been absorbing the latest ATSC 3.0 developments at the 2018 NAB Show in Las Vegas, the real action has been taking place in Phoenix, where pioneering broadcasters launched some of the industry’s first ATSC 3.0 over-the-air broadcasts.

KFPH’s UNIMAS NOW BROADCASTING ATSC 3.0

The first to step up to the plate—in what is known as the Phoenix Model Market—is KFPH-CD Channel 35, a local Univision-owned station, in Phoenix, now airing UniMás network programming in ATSC 3.0. Pearl TV Managing Director Anne Schelle made the announcement at the show.

Pearl TV touts the Phoenix Model Market as the first collaborative, single-market effort to promote a real-world ATSC 3.0 implementation. A business alliance of Cox Media Group, Pearl TV includes: E.W. Scripps Company, Graham Media Group, Hearst Television Inc., Meredith Local Media Group, Nexstar Media Group, Raycom Media, and TEGNA Inc.

[Read: Phoenix To Serve As ‘Model Market’ For ATSC 3.0]

ARIZONA PBS’ KIDS NOW IN ATSC 3.0

Pearl TV is also working with Arizona PBS—a PBS member station reaching 1.9 million households—to place its Arizona PBS KIDS channel (8.4) on the new ATSC 3 tower. According to Lonna Thompson, Executive Vice President, Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel of America’s Public Television Stations (APTS), this will enable the delivery of interactive, personalized learning and educational content as a richer viewer experience.

“This groundbreaking partnership is the first step in the implementation of ATSC 3.0, which holds significant improvements in store for public television’s public service missions of education, public safety and civic leadership,” Thompson said, adding that Phoenix viewers are about to be amazed by ATSC 3.0’s revolutionary picture and sound quality.

VENDORS JOIN PHOENIX PROJECT

In related news, several prominent consumer electronics manufacturers, including LG Electronics, Sony Electronics, Samsung, and Channel Master, have joined the Phoenix Model Project.

They join Dielectric, Enensys, GatesAir, Harmonic and Triveni Digital, as well as broadcasters E.W. Scripps Company, Fox Television Stations, Meredith Local Media Group, Nexstar Media Group, TEGNA Inc., Telemundo Station Group, Univision Communications, and Arizona PBS, which are already cooperating to launch ATSC 3.0 programming, while employing the “lighthouse” concept of keeping legacy DTV available for all viewers while ATSC 3.0 services are launched.

[Read: Major Broadcast Suppliers Sign On To Assist In Phoenix ATSC 3.0 Model Market]

Other companies contributing to this open test-bed environment are: Dolby Laboratories, TitanTV, and UniSoft, as well as signaling and technical experts BitRouter, Yotta Media Labs, and Meintel, Sgrignoli & Wallace (MSW).

The Phoenix Model Market has several objectives, including confirming basic TV service parameters and performance, determining the appeal of next-generation high dynamic range video and immersive audio content to consumers, testing interactive and addressable advertising functionality, and testing cable integration.

ROAD TO ATSC 3.0 AT NAB SHOW

During the 2018 NAB Show, the “Road to ATSC 3.0” exhibit in the Grand Lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center features a Phoenix Model Market kiosk where Sony will demonstrate ATSC 3.0’s interactive capabilities. These include adaptive ad insertion and messaging displayed with real-time object delivery over unidirectional transport, as well as dynamic adaptive streaming over HyperText Transfer Protocol, known as "ROUTE" and "DASH."

Using an ATSC 3.0 receiver provided by LG Electronics, Yotta Media Labs will also demonstrate a prototype application that ATSC 3.0 broadcasters can use to allow local viewers to access and discover content through a modern TV guide embedded in the broadcaster's channel.

And yet not a single ATSC tuner on the market for home reception. Any such announcements from NAB?

Reactions: navychop
I bet you there are die hard TV DXers and early ATSC 3.0 owners, wanna be on first on the street no matters how much they willing to spend the money.:eeek

For me I rather wait for 2nd generations ATSC 3.0 TV tuner. That way they should be able get the buggy problems put out the way.:rolleyes:

How long can these stations continue to pump out the ATSC 3.0 signal without any ad revenue is the question.

I suspect the cost is industry subsidized. Work out the bugs and then spread it.

It’s a non issue for 2018, and I suspect of little interest for 2019.

Reactions: N5XZS and osu1991
For me I rather wait for 2nd generations ATSC 3.0 TV tuner. That way they should be able get the buggy problems put out the way.:rolleyes:
I suspect it will be more of an issue that ATSC 3.0 will need to be amended once they find out how it behaves in the hands of consumers.

Reactions: navychop
I feel like we've seen this movie before. It'll take some time for them to do the testing. Then they'll finalize the standard. Then tuners will be released. Then people will buy them if they feel so compelled. I won't be purchasing a new TV just for 3.0; I will purchase an HD Homerun with a 3.0 tuner when those become available. Based on communication I've had with Silicondust, they're monitoring the development closely.

Reactions: Cypresstree
Based on communication I've had with Silicondust, they're monitoring the development closely.
Given the numerous standards involved (some mandatory and some optional) with Next Gen, I would expect that many terminal devices would need transcoding to use it so the cost will likely be high (or, alternatively, outboard media servers would be mandatory). Further, the more proprietary standards you adopt, the more licenses you need to be including.

Tablo is "monitoring the situation closely" too. Talk is cheap.

On another forum, someone from KC got in touch with a proxy buyer service in Seoul, arranged for the purchase of a hybrid ATSC 1.0 / 3.0 set-top box there and had it shipped to him here in the US. The unit is an LG AN-US800K and is apparently aimed at the prosumer market. The cost of the unit, plus the finder's fee for the buyer service, plus the shipping was about $200. Once he got it, it was only set up to be attached to an LG UHD 4K set, so he needed to get an EDID spoofer to set it up on his own TV. It also needed a power converter for US power supply. So far, he's in about $350. He's posted pictures. Fascinating!

[Photos of the set-top box] [Needs an LG display] [Photos of the UI]

Unfortunately for me, both of my TVs are 10 years old and I have no $$ to buy a UHD set anytime soon, so I might have to sit on the sidelines during the Phoenix test bed.

The broadcasters are drooling over the opportunity to track viewing (if the TV is set up through the Internet - the KC user has confirmed that it is not mandatory) and send targeted commercials based on viewing habits. Having that data available could also supplement, or perhaps even replace what they get from A. C. Nielsen (I doubt it would replace) and help broadcasters more accurately set ad rates. Naturally, most viewers will choose to connect through the Internet, as that is the only way they'll be able to receive enhanced and OTT services, so that could be quite lucrative. I'm guessing that is a large part of the reason the broadcasters are willing to take a loss now getting the ATSC 3.0 standard up and running: a big payoff at the end of the process.

Just an opinion - we'll see how it plays out, but broadcasters seem committed to ATSC 3.0, so there has got to be money in it for them.

Reactions: kc9pke and N5XZS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts