Phone Connect issues on ViP722

jdog020

Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Omaha, NE
Hope I don't get slammed for asking the question, and I have already searched the forum and haven't found any solutions thus far....so here it goes.

I just had my 722 installed about 2 weeks ago and was trying out all of the features. (Note: I use Vonage) So I tried the DishHome Customer Support feature. Everything looks as though its working however...

It shows Dialing, then Please Wait, and then errors out when I try to View my statement, or Upgrade or Pay My Bill.

I first checked this forum and found where I needed to up the bandwidth on my vonage account, so I did that then tested, nothing.

So next I found where someone recommended changing the line from Touch Tone to Rotary, tested and nothing.

so next I changed the line back to Touch Tone and added the prefix of *99, still nothing.

Finally I waited another day and tested again with it setup normal, then as rotary and then with touch tone and the prefix, and all have failed.

I talked to customer support and they had me go into the installation menu then perform a test of the phone line, and it replied Phone and Network OK. They then said, OK everything works now...BUT it doesn't. I still cannot connect.

The best thing they have done thus far is take the $5/mo charge off of my account.

Although this is nice of them, I really would like for the phone line to work properly.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Jdog

My understanding is that some ISP's "mess" with Vonage. Especially those that offer VOIP service.

Now, I'm not saying that this is your problem, just that it's a possibility. I would call Vonage next and see what they say.

You won't get it to work. For years DISH used an 800 number that would connect at 1200 baud. Recently they changed that 800 number in HD receivers that requires 9600 baud to support the DISH Home... Vonage won't connect 9600 baud. If it does, it is a very rare exception.

Forget the phone line and connect your receiver to the Internet via the Ethernet port. You will avoid the $5 monthly fee.

I'll jump in here. I too have my 722 just connected to ethernet, however my
211 won't allow me to buy PPV. it's connected via dishCOMM to the 722. DISH CS says the 722 or the 211 must be connected to phone line. the 722 can buy PPV but not the 211.

I have a 722 and 612 with a Vonage box connected to the 722. I have ethernet hooked to both. I hooked up Vonage just to get callerid and it works on both boxes using the Dishcomm.

The ethernet is the way to go. Vonage works for pretty much just callerid.

I just have read on another VOIP forum for VIATALK service that *99# as prefix may work. I have not tried it myself yet, but some thing to try.

Greetings. Some of us here have come to the conclusion that the Customer Support App will not work if you have the Ethernet connected. If you want to access that, you will have to pull the ethernet plug, go into Menu-6-1-9-1 to do a DHCP reset (looking for it to say "Not connected"), then try your Customer Support App (it should connect now via phone line). When finished, plug the Ethernet back in, and again do a DHCP reset Menu-6-1-9-1 so you pull the Ethernet back online.

It's a pain, so I only did it once. I can do most everything on cust support via the web faster and with a better interface. But, I do believe this a bug with the vip boxes.

Hope this helps.

Greetings. Some of us here have come to the conclusion that the Customer Support App will not work if you have the Ethernet connected. If you want to access that, you will have to pull the ethernet plug, go into Menu-6-1-9-1 to do a DHCP reset (looking for it to say "Not connected"), then try your Customer Support App (it should connect now via phone line). When finished, plug the Ethernet back in, and again do a DHCP reset Menu-6-1-9-1 so you pull the Ethernet back online.

It's a pain, so I only did it once. I can do most everything on cust support via the web faster and with a better interface. But, I do believe this a bug with the vip boxes.

Hope this helps.
What a pain I-T-A!!! I had to try and connect twice before it worked, but it did. You got to love Dish.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the info.:up

That did the trick. I unplugged the ethernet cable, reset the ethernet DHCP so it errored out and said disconnected. Then retried Customer Service and POOF, it WORKED!! Thanks...at least now I know what I was missing.

Thanks!!!!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts