Phone Line Connection vs Broadband Connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Before anyone fusses because I'm asking about a topic which is in many past threads, I am simply wanting to verify what will/will not happen as my desire is to ditch my landline phone service. And, I have studied over the past threads. First, I have been a DISH customer for 5 years; I have always had 2 receivers with phone lines continuously connected to both. I currently have a 722k and a 211 with a broadband connection to the 722k. So, here is my thinking so please comment or verify as needed.

Without a phone line connection...

- I will not be charged ANY kind of additional receiver fee(s), because I have been continuously connected to a phone line for 5 years, plus I have paperless billing and autopay. It seems the 2nd receiver phone line requirement was eliminated or changed in February, 2010, in conjunction with the typical February rate increases/changes.

- I can still order PPV and VOD via remote as well as Dish on Demand, etc, because I have a broadband connection only on the 722k.

- I will lose the Caller ID display.

- My above notes mainly apply to the 722k. My 2nd receiver is a non-DVR 211. It currently has no broadband connection. With neither the phone line or the broadband connected to the 211, will there be any negative impact? What is the advantage anyway of having a broadband connection to a 211? I would have to purchase the connector for it, and I've not seen any visible advantage to having it.

Thank you all in advance. :)

Hi, I believe if you have more then one receiver and all are not hooked up to a phone line or the broadban then the Dish patrol might want to check to make sure both receivers are at the same location. Hope this helps, DC

Hi, I believe if you have more then one receiver and all are not hooked up to a phone line or the broadban then the Dish patrol might want to check to make sure both receivers are at the same location. Hope this helps, DC

FALSE. I've had two rcvrs with Dish for over eight years. Off and on, I've had a phone line to only one. I cut the cord on landline telephone service two years ago. No audits from Dish. Pay-per-view movies are ordered on-line. With broadband to your 722k rcvr, PPV movies can be ordered that way. Short of you needing the landline for an alarm or fax machine, I'd cut the cord. Heck, alarm companies can provide monitoring nowadays with cellular service. It would be quite naive of Dish to require a landline to rcvrs when 1/3 of American households (and growing) have pulled the plug on them.

No, I agree with delta_charlie. It might increase the chance of an audit. That's not saying he will be audited, only it increases the chance. Just because someone has not had an audit doesn't make it that no one will. There are many with three receivers not hooked up that never have been audited, others that have.

eacalhoun, I would say you have it all about right.

I cut the cord to Verizon many years ago and switched to Vonage. When the went to increase my 500 min plan to 750 and increase the price I call customer support. Turns out they have a USA/Canada 300 min plan that costs my $17/mo including taxes, etc. My fax works just fine. Alarm system did not and I canceled it.

With a broadband connection my 722 calls in via the internet. I don't have a phone line connected to the 722. Diagnostics show no failed call out.

No, I agree with delta_charlie. It might increase the chance of an audit. That's not saying he will be audited, only it increases the chance.

I don't see why they would think about an audit unless he started adding equipment. As long as he has registered the same two receivers he had connected via a phone line, I can't imagine why any red flags would go up.

KAB said:
I don't see why they would think about an audit unless he started adding equipment. As long as he has registered the same two receivers he had connected via a phone line, I can't imagine why any red flags would go up.

I agree, when doing a new connect we only have to establish connection to 1 receiver. Granted if using a slinglink, they will all receive connection. But if a customer has a hw broadband connection to 1 location, that's how it's getting connected. No second thoughts about other receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)