Phone Line Required for PPV via Remote?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RedWings

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Leesburg, VA
I just jumped the fence from the Dish forum to come ask you guys a quick question. I'm an Ex DTV subscriber and having a conversation with a guy over in that forum that claims a r-15 does not need the phoneline plugged in to order PPV via the remote and still get charged.

I thought the reason for the phoneline was to report any PPV purchases. He is claiming DTV now has two way communication via the dish? I have a hard time believing that..... unless i've missed some new technology they have that can use the current 18" dishes to send/receive signal.

For now i'm sticking with a phoneline is required to order via the remote. No phoneline = DTV makes you order via the internet or phone.

TIA

you need a phone.... What is hillarious is that it is a question on the QC form. Hell, they should know that before I go out there.....

You dont need a phone to order PPV. The phone line tell Directv that you ordered a PPV so D can bill you for it. Your receiver/Access card has a set amount - Say you order PPV's (lets say the set amount is $100.00) You can order $100.00 worth od PPV movies until you reach that amount. Once you reach that set amount then you will need to reconnect to a phone line to "reset" the amount. Only then will you be billed for the PPV's.

I know somebody who knows somebody who does this when they get a new receiver. Before you get the new receiver, Max out the amount on your old one.

johnml said:
You dont need a phone to order PPV. The phone line tell Directv that you ordered a PPV so D can bill you for it. Your receiver/Access card has a set amount - Say you order PPV's (lets say the set amount is $100.00) You can order $100.00 worth od PPV movies until you reach that amount. Once you reach that set amount then you will need to reconnect to a phone line to "reset" the amount. Only then will you be billed for the PPV's.

I know somebody who knows somebody who does this when they get a new receiver. Before you get the new receiver, Max out the amount on your old one.
Once you max out the card, you will get a "Call ext. 732, (I think) That tells them that you no longer have access to purchase PPV's via the remote, once they call in they will reset the card and you will be ok,but at that time you will be charged for the past PPV's taht are on the card.

I thought I had heard erlier back that the R-15 did not need a phone cord plugged in, but I think that was just for set up, seeing the old DVR's (hr10-250's)reqired the phone to be plugged in in order to get updates I guess , or maybe guide info, it seems like an old way of doing things, someone correct me if it was not required.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)