Any tailgaters here?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
I'm considering adding a D* setup to my tailgating arsenal, and would like some pointers.

1) I'm doing this out of a normal car, so no camper available.
2) I have one car with and one without LCD's. Obviously makes things more interesting...

I'm most interested in:
- How you handle the additional receiver on your account, unless you just rip a spare out of a room (I only have DVR's in my house, so it's not the best idea to take them mobile, for various reasons).
- Any tips/tricks

My proposed setup would be a D10 and a 3LNB dish on a tripod, hooked into some display device.

I would not bother buying another receiver if you can get by with taking a receiver out of a spare room in your house. It took some serious cuddling but my wife let me do this for Illini tailgating. Also, if you are using a tv outside your car try shading around the tv. The sunlight glare will make viewing very difficult. One more thing, guard the remote because you would be surprise just how often the remote disappears.

I do it all the times at tailgates. One thing we do that is a little different is that we use a battery pack to run the inverter instead of hooking it to the car. This prevents from draining your car battery or having to run your car. Exhaust fumes and tailgating are not fun. You will need to put the tv under a canopy to reduce glare. Also make sure your inverter is capable of the wattage necessary for the both the tv and receiver.

shadyB said:
One thing we do that is a little different is that we use a battery pack to run the inverter instead of hooking it to the car.

"battery pack?"

Use tent stakes to help keep the tripod steady and bring something to put under the leg or legs of the tripod in case the ground is not level. I tent camp occasionally using a deep cycle battery for power with an inverter and a 12 volt TV. Receiver wise I have had to take a dvr before (E* 501) It seemed harder to find a signal with it than a regular receiver. I took a Phase III once this summer and had no problems setting it up...

hancox said:
"battery pack?"

We use something like this:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10037431&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4000443&Mo=20&No=9&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3241&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

There are less expensive ones as well.

I agree, keep the DVR at home and use the D10. You'll probably need to contact D* and have them activate your D10 and keep it live during tailgate season, think its $4.99 extra per month.

As far as power: I purchased a spare battery for my 4Runner and a 750 watt power inverter. The day before a tailgate I usually take the fully juiced battery out of the truck and install the not so juiced battery, my 4 hour drive to the tailgate is enough to recharge the battery. I will then connect the inverter, has pos and neg clips, to the battery. With the D10 receiver and a 27" Sony tube I get about 5 hours per battery. Spare truck battery cost me about $55 and the inverter was about $90

Last edited:
Tailgating

I've refined the tailgating D* experience over the last 4 seasons ,now finally to a fine art. If you ,indeed, are serious in obtaining the best experience ,the right equipment is essential. At the present time a fully loaded Sequoia heads to the "Loveliest Village on the Plains" each home football friday to set up a Tailgate TV Extravaganza. Adequate power is essential and there is nothing lighter or quieter than a Honda 2000 watt generator. Past seasons got by on 1000 watts but no more. An AT-9 on a modified tripod is essential for reception of all the HD football goodness available. 4 receivers usually accompany me ,all HD capable, and usually 1 or 2 DVR's to record for instant replay and late night rehash by all armchair QB's. The main TV is an Olevia 37 " LCD. The LCD's allow HD viewing in most light situations other than direct sunlight and 37'' is about as big as can really be called portable. A pair of 23" LCD's give either, other corners of the tent a view or additional games as needed. With baseball playoffs in full swing , a concession to the baseball viewers is appropriate. After dark a strand of LED rope lights can also be accomodated and the blow-up AUBIE stands ready to welcome passer-bys. With a birdog meter and about 30 to 45 mins it can all be setup, tuned ,cables connected , neatly routed and covered , with receivers booted, all by 1 or preferably 2 people. My goal is to be ready for ESPN Game Day as it starts at 9AM central. This IS tailgating in central Alabama.

doctor J said:
I've refined the tailgating D* experience over the last 4 seasons ,now finally to a fine art. If you ,indeed, are serious in obtaining the best experience ,the right equipment is essential. At the present time a fully loaded Sequoia heads to the "Loveliest Village on the Plains" each home football friday to set up a Tailgate TV Extravaganza. Adequate power is essential and there is nothing lighter or quieter than a Honda 2000 watt generator. Past seasons got by on 1000 watts but no more. An AT-9 on a modified tripod is essential for reception of all the HD football goodness available. 4 receivers usually accompany me ,all HD capable, and usually 1 or 2 DVR's to record for instant replay and late night rehash by all armchair QB's. The main TV is an Olevia 37 " LCD. The LCD's allow HD viewing in most light situations other than direct sunlight and 37'' is about as big as can really be called portable. A pair of 23" LCD's give either, other corners of the tent a view or additional games as needed. With baseball playoffs in full swing , a concession to the baseball viewers is appropriate. After dark a strand of LED rope lights can also be accomodated and the blow-up AUBIE stands ready to welcome passer-bys. With a birdog meter and about 30 to 45 mins it can all be setup, tuned ,cables connected , neatly routed and covered , with receivers booted, all by 1 or preferably 2 people. My goal is to be ready for ESPN Game Day as it starts at 9AM central. This IS tailgating in central Alabama.

I'll cheers to that! Unfortunately don't have the funds for that setup

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)